“A very nice evening, great Hungarian food”
Review of Eat & Meet

Eat & Meet
Ranked #8 of 3,684 Restaurants in Budapest
Price range: US$41 - US$41
Cuisines: Hungarian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Private Dining
Description: Have you ever tried a real 'goulash'? Do you know if 'palinka' is drunk as an aperitif or a digestive? To find out the answer to these questions, and to discover many other interesting things that no guide book will tell you, come and join one of the dinners. Traditional Hungarian cuisine with homey flavours based on family recipes! A gastro-adventure, giving you a taste of the real (not touristic) local cuisine and culture and an insight to a Hungarian family's life!
Reviewed September 11, 2018

We had a lovely experience, Susie was a great host. The evening started with introductions, 14 of us in total with groups from France, England, Scotland and the USA.
Susie explained the concept and before each course she gave us a brief descriptionw of the meals heritage and Hungarian tradition.
The food had was full of flavours and matched with wines to bring out the intense flavours and add to a very good evening.
I highly recommend this for an trip to Budapest, and it was great value for money!!

1  Thank Carlloyd
Suzie_Goldbach, Vezető at Eat & Meet, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Carl,

Thank you very much for sharing your dining experience with others here on Tripadvisor. I was thrilled to read you recommend our dinner as a program which is worth to do in Budapest; to be honest, few compliments could be better than this. I'm pleased to know you enjoyed both the menu and the wines we paired to the dishes, and thank you for mentioning my descriptions about the foods' heritage and our traditions. As you know now, it's really my mission to show people the most I can about my country in those couple of hours they spend at our place.

Thank you for spending one of your nights in Budapest with us, and for contributing with your presence to such a nice evening!

Reviewed September 10, 2018

We had a very pleasant experience with Suzie, her parents, and the other guests (French, American, English and Scottish). Suzie knows how hosting and wish to share a part of hungarian culture and cuisine... which is not only paprika and gulash !
The food was very good and generous. We had a soup (with home-grown vegetables) and a stuffed chicken leg with potatoes and zucchnis (served with a very good sauce). I really enjoy the cake for dessert, as good as it looks ! Suzie explains every meal and the paired wines (all Hungarian of course). She is not at the table with us but it's the occasion to share with other people, which makes the experience great. It was very nice to talk about American culture with my Colorado neighbour, or rugby with the Scottish couple.
I strongly recommand trying the experience. It changes of going only in restaurants. It was a very nice moment with a lovely hungarian family.

1  Thank Leidz_33

Dear Leidz_33,

First of all, thank you for taking your time to leave us a feedback here on Tripadvisor and share it with other travellers. The fact that you mention that Hungarian cuisine is not only paprika and gulash, means truly a lot to me; it means I've really succeeded to show you a different (and more interesting) face of our country and its cuisine. Beside providing a pleasent and unforgettable dinner experience, this is really what I work for, to open up people's eyes how good and colourful this country's cuisine is.

It was really a pleasure to meet you and your partner and to spend an evening together, thank you for coming!

Reviewed September 8, 2018

We spent an amazing four days in Budapest as part of our summer holiday. When asked what their most memorable experience in the city was, my 13 and 17 year old children were quick to tell our friends it was he wonderful evening we spent with Suzie and our new friends from Australia, Italy, and Sweden. The conversation, food, and wine were all fantastic. A great experience, highly recommended!!

1  Thank Bill J

Dear Bill,

Thank you for leaving us a review and for your kind and praising words. I cannot tell how I loved to read your children's reply to the mentioned question, wow, that is really a compliment! I really hope we could help in building a bridge to your Hungarian origins by introducing you to the country's gastronomy, wines, history and culture - I really did my best to raise your children's curiosity. Which, I think, has been successful, as they've asked you since then to regularly cook Hungarian dishes - even including the secret ingredient they've tried for the first time in their life at our place! :)

Thank you for coming, it's been truly an honour to get to know you and your family!

Reviewed September 2, 2018 via mobile

What a great night full of insight and passion about Hungarian food and culture. Plenty of communication leading up to the evening which was a surprise birthday meal and a surprise that 12 other family members were in Budapest! Suzie and her family took it all in their stride.
The food was excellent and the wine was equally good. The pace was good and everybody had a wonderful evening. Thank you

1  Thank TanyaandNick
Suzie_Goldbach, Manager at Eat & Meet, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2018

Dear Tanya,

No words to say how happy I am to know that you and your family enjoyed your time at our place. What an honour that you chose our restaurant to celebrate such a special occasion. And again, let me express what a fabulous family you are, such a pleasure to meet all of you, what a wonderful evening! Thank you for coming! :) Oh, and please pass then my best wishes to your father in November! :)

I honestly hope to see you some time again, take care,

Reviewed August 20, 2018 via mobile

We booked this dinner with a bit of trepidation, this being our first time eating a 3 hour meal in someone's home with a bunch of strangers. Suzie (and her parents!) was a great host and kept the conversation moving. And if that wasnt enough, she started the evening with a shot of palinka. Nothing like free flowing non stop alcohol to get people talking! :)

We started with soup (room temp, in recognition of the sweltering hot summer outside) and bread with local pesto. Continued with stuffed chicken, potatoes and grilled zucchini. Ended with a fluffy chocolate gooseberry(??) mousse cake. Each course was accompanied by Hungarian wine. It was a healthy, home cooked, delicious experience for our first night in Budapest.

Booking was easy thru Suzie's website, and then she followed up with emails about best dates and food preferences. Our dinner was with a group of 14 or 15 people, everyone from a different part of the world, gathered to eat 1 meal together. Definitely recommend.

1  Thank Helena_NY_15

Dear Helena,

Such a pleasure to read your kind words, thank you very much for this praising review! We did our best to give you a nice welcome to Budapest; I'm glad to know it turned out as a great opening to your time in our city. Thank you for coming, it was really a pleasure to meet you and your mother! :)

Hope to see you you again,