“Farwel”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: District I / Buda
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Daikichi is closed and will not be reopened. It was one of the finest family restaurant in Europe serving Japanese food. We loved it and will miss it quality, the modesty and quietness.

Reviewed 10 May 2017

The entrance is so discreet, you do not know what to expect. You take a few steps and you jump to a tiny restaurant in a smaller street in a smaller Japanese town. Down-to-basics decoration (=none), chairs, tables and a couple of Japanese guests, who are apparently regular. It takes time when the owner/chef/waiter appears, communication is a little difficult, as he speaks very limited Hungarian, some English, but mostly Japanese. Soon we learn that "everything is recommended" from the menu. We go for mangalica teriyaki. Mangalica is a special, Hungarian type of pork, this combination can hardly exist anywhere else. We do not know what to expect, but the dish, coming in a "set" (with rice and miso soup), is plainly superb. It is sweet and salty, clearly a Japanese dish, but with a slight twist. I simply cannot wait to return and try the rest of the menu.

One thing to note: those looking for sushi will be disappointed here. They do not have any. The menu consists of different noodles (ramen, soba, etc.), meat, fish and vegetarian dishes as well as smaller bits. You need to order shabu-shabu in advance.

The portions are on the smallish side.

1  Thank László K
Reviewed 17 March 2017

It is definitely a hidden gem in a not so charming location. The food is perfect. The service is charming and professional too.

1  Thank AntiRiad
Reviewed 11 December 2015

It is a real authentic Japanese experience. The interior is very Japanese and the menu also. Very far from a sushi place. I had tune with rice and miso soup, seaweed salat and pork bbq. All were special and delicious. The owner serves and he was nice to everyone. He is far from overdoing restaurant-type hospitality. He does not do that, but he makes a relaxed atmosphere more like dining at home. It is not a cheap place, a lunch costs 25-40Euro per person but it is a special experience and I highly recommend!

2  Thank Akos K
Reviewed 22 November 2015

I was there with my boyfriend for dinner. The place is very hidden, I've never seen it before, although I was born and raised in Budapest. We walked through the asian signed door and inside no one has greeted us. We got down to the basement where the owner waved and said we can sit down. After that the horrible experience started: the owner talked so loudly to the only other person in the restaurant the whole time that I couldn't even talk to my partner. The ramen that I've eaten was so salty that I couldn't even finish it. The kimchi and the wakame tasted nice but were so extremely tiny for this high price. My boyfriend ate hungarian type of pork called mangalica, which he liked but was also very salty. The owner didn't even ask if we wanted something else he brought the bill straight to our table after we stopped eating. We left the money on the table but he didn't come for like 1O mins so we went upstairs. We said goodbye but he asked in a very upset manner: Where is the money? After this he sent my boyfriend downstairs to get the money. I think this was very rude and unacceptable according to the amount of money he charges for a meal and also the whole atmosphere brings you down.
I would strongly advise not to eat here.

6  Thank Dudueats