See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed August 28, 2017 via mobile

I cant even believe it, these guys just expanded the limits of rudeness ,so what happend was that i had to book a place for my friends to stay and since it was high season everywher were full except this place(wonder why) and so i went there to personally book a room ,there was a girl there as reception who just couldnt be more arrogant and rude but then a guy came whom i thin was her boss and ask for my passport while i was talking to her so i said i dont have it with me its in my house(i study in the city) and then the guy started ranting at me in hungarian out of nowher ,if this didnt happen to myself i wouldnt believe this story considering its a "4 star hotel", they were so hostile that i actually end up booking a hostel for my friends (which i think was a way better desicion)

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank Sina D
Reviewed July 22, 2017

I booked a superior room with a large double bed and this was confirmed to me via email. When I arrived and was shown to my room it turned out to be a twin room with 2 single beds. The room was run down and definitively not of 'superior' class. Everytime I turned in the bed the bed moved back and forth and I was a bit concerned that I was going to end up on the floor.
The staff was unfriendly and seemed bothered that I was not happy and asked for another room. They showed me an even more run down room where the paint was coming off the window frames - the only difference was that there was 2 single beds shoved together.....even the woman in the reception agreed that it was a very run down room.
They explained to me that they were in the process of putting the the double beds together and maybe they would be able to accommodate me in a room the following day........this never happened and to top it off they did not even clean my room.......the bed was not made and then shower mat was still wet and on the floor (no shower curtains so unavoidable to not get water on the floor). I mentioned this to the reception but they were not interested to hear.
I would never recommend this hotel to anybody and there are plenty of other accommodation available in Debrecen. I should have read up on TripAdvisor before bookiing so I assume my fault.

Room Tip: Book another hotel but not Aranybika !
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank rita532016
Reviewed June 21, 2017

This hotel is very stunning and beautiful with architectural details and views inside and surrounding area.
It's so sad that the hotel is lacking in maintaining its beauty and bringing it up to grade for what it use to be many years ago from photos. A lot of history is shown.
There is so much potential for this place to be more then what it is now. I feel more investment should be taken in. For now, probably a great place to take photos, but not to stay...
Everything is outdated and lacking in service quality. The bathrooms, the lighting, beds, etc...
The front desk service staff were great. Breakfast, well, your better off heading out to grab some food.
If you'd like a less expensive place to stay while in Debrecen without needing anything from the hotel other then a bed, I recommend this place.

Room Tip: no tip to offer other than see the rooms before deciding to stay
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TreeWater
Reviewed May 17, 2017

Fantastic old building that boasts impressive reception and breakfast room with lush decor. It is dated but had a strange appeal. Rooms were also interesting but could do with major refurbishment and the beds were not the best. It was clean and tidy and with great views across the square.

I would normally rate this hotel down for its old fashioned and dated appearance, but this one somehow makes it work.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed April 27, 2017

We visited as a group from London and we hoped for an elegant hotel based on the pictures we have seen of the reception room with the beautiful high ceiling yet it is a dated post soviet run down building where stuff are unfriendly and there are cochroaches in the room..

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business