See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed August 12, 2015

We were in Pecs for only one night. The hotel was a long walk from town and back up a steep hill (40 mins) (ps we are walkers and in good shape). The first thing that turned me off is that when they recommended we take the bus down, neither the front desk nor the restaurant had any change! We found that hard to believe. There was not much interest in making an effort to help us.

The toilet seat in our room was broken, the TV was from the 70's (we weren't planning to watch, but it may be important for others), not many amenities in the bathroom, a packet of shampoo, one small soap, no hair dryer, but they did have one for me when I asked at the desk. The bed was not so comfortable and our room had a crib that was stacked with things for storage.

We imagine this place targets local visitors and not international ones. We didn't find many other tourists in town.The city has few street signs visible from the main street into town! It was impossible to find this place. We decided to brave the roaming fees and turned on Waze. I had the written directions, but without finding many street signs, it was impossible. English is limited, so it would not have been helpful to call.

The picture of the colorful window panes, I never saw those.The cultural decorations were interesting. There was one friendly woman at breakfast who made us fresh fried eggs and ham. We appreciated the offer. The breakfast had some nice baked goods, that seemed homemade. The view from the breakfast room was our favorite. The restaurant view was phenomenal, but one server was so unfriendly when we asked if they had change for the bus, we decided not to eat there.

We were disappointed and wouldn't return. He had found the people in Budapest and Eger unbelievably warm and friendly, but in general did not find it that way in Pecs. We can only surmise it's just not welcoming, or not used to international tourists.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2015

The review is for the restaurant only - I have no experience with the inn. We went with a party based on local recommendations. The food was way below our expectations. We ordered basically everything on the menu including different plates and could not find anything that was at least 3 stars. The lemon tarragon soup lacked the lemon. Like totally lacked. We asked the waiter to bring lemons for the soup and he showed up with a few slices after about 10 minutes. The potato croquettes were the worst I've ever tried. And being an European I've tried a lot.... this was hard as a stone, seemed to be filled with flour very heavily. The mushroom dish bad the exact same sauce than the venison. If you like venison and ordered it than it's fine. But I hate venison and wanted to taste the mushroom. No chance here. The rice was tasteless, just boiled in plain water. Also probably the most expensive restaurant in the whole city of Pecs. Will never ever go back and advise everybody to stay away.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed July 12, 2015

You could put this great hotel anywhere in the world, and it would still get top ratings. The only thing you could never beat is the price.
Be sure to book either a room with panorama view, or as my wife and I did, we took a baungalow with terrace and an unforgettable view of Pecs.
Bottom line: The Bagolyvar by itself is worth a trip to Pecs.
Pecs itself is a charming Hungarian city with a rich cultural heritage,

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony and panorama view or bungalows
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank leila_lowy
Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

To start with, unfortunatly I can not leave the review in my own native language (hungarian) cause Tripadvisor does not let me...:-(

Our wedding was on 23.08.2013 here in Bagolyvar. I have to say without any doubt, that this was the best choice for us to get married herw! Marika, the owner is really professional and nothing too much trouble for her. She organised and helped us to organise the wedding, cause its not easy from abroad... The service and food were superb. The waiters were funny and were always there for us! The food was amaizing, the whole family from both side said, that they did not taste food like this a long time! Perfect wedding in the perfect place! Thanks Marika and the team in Bagolyvar!!!!
On top, the surrounding is fantastic as well and the small hotel is famous and fab!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Pacsito
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Hotel for a few nights for my friends wedding. The bride and groom also stayed at the hotel together with some family members.
The staff were amazingly friendly and helpful, the facilities are very well situated for its beautiful views, as you can see the whole city of Pecs. The prices of the rooms were a bargain for the size and the quality of the hotel. Only missing a swimming pool or a Jacuzzi, but owner has plans for one. We eat at the hotel's restaurant which the food was very tasty… The wedding ceremony and the party were fantastically organized, specially having a chapel very close by and being able to do the wedding registration at the the hotel. Only a few minutes by car into the city centre and cheap by taxi. I enjoyed every moment of my stay at this hotel and I am already telling all my friends and family where to stay if they ever go to Pecs – Hungary. A big thank you to the Owner ‘Maria’ who has put her heart and soul into this marvellous palace  It didn’t just feel like staying at a hotel, but was like staying at a family’s holiday resort as I felt at home. I hope to return soon. ***** FIVE STARS ***** YOU DESERVE IT!!!
Most rooms have great views but you can also request for the ones by the vineyard which are Bungalows with also wonderful views.

• Stayed: July 2013