“loved this hotel-good value for money”

Meriton Old Town Garden Hotel
Ranked #39 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We stayed in this hotel with relatives from Helsinki in December 2011. We booked two Bella Garden rooms, that overlooked the street which we did not mind at all. The rooms were spacious, clean and quaint with their exposed timber beams which gave an old world charm to them. We laughed at the maze of stairs from the reception to our rooms which was on the fifth floor. We did not have much luggage so we did not mind the walking up the stairs at all. We had a wonderful Estonian breakfast in the Estonian Room and tried as many of the dishes as we could eat, the selection was good and we enjoyed the different flavours. We had cake and coffee at the Cafe Mademoiselle and relaxed later in the evening after a day of walking in the old town. We did not eat at the Spanish Tapas Bar and restaurant but the staff were happy for us to have a look around and we were facinated by the bull heads and matador suits on display. The staff were all very friendly and wiling to help, especially when we asked to store our luggage after check out when we were not leaving until the evening ferry back to Helsinki.
My cousin's wife is Estonian and she was impressed by this hotel and said she will stay here again when the travel back to Tallin, which is quite often. We all agreed that the price of the room was very reasonable and I think it would have been one of the cheapest hotels we have stayed in giving us really good value for money. I will definitely stay at this hotel again when inTallin.

Room Tip: Some comments about the budget rooms have said they are really small, so if you want the extra space...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 March 2012

We arrived late at 8 p.m, asked for late checkout and get a no for answer. After arguing they accepted late checkout if we would pay 7€ per person per hour. The (economy)room was liketwo square meter maximum, very little with bunk bed and little toilet. No room for changing clothes or anything else. No chairs or table. The toilet smell awfull and we went to ask for another room as you could not breath because of the smell. We get another room after begging and it was identical. Later we paid for an extra (normal) room with extra space and normal bed. This room was like a normal hotel room should be. There was dust everywhere and it was very dirty, also the wind came in from the door as there was an extra space directly to the street. The staff was very unfriendly. I will never ever go back to this place. Situation was only good thing about the place as it was in the center of old town.
If you reserve this hotel be aware that it´s most like one star hostel not any hotel.
There are several other hotels in Tallinn that are so much better!!

Room Tip: Do not book economy room. Better go to an hostel!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Having travelled to 140 countries around the world and with travel as my business I can say this hotel gave exceptional and friendly service. I had difficulties when getting to Tallinn and the hotel staff went well out of their way to help me in every way possible. The meal that I had there was truly excellent, the room was clean and well appointed. Very highly recommended! Home away from home, in the centre of the old city. I would stay here again anytime without a second thought.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank RobiProjects
Reviewed 14 February 2012

The hotel's location is main advantage of this property - it is located in the centre of beatifull Tallinn's old town. It is also very close to the bus stop from the airport. Breakfast buffet was very good and I can also recommend estonian food in the hotel's restaurant. I must say unfortunately that the double room was too small for comfortable stay of two persons (I've booked 'normal' double room not 'economy' one). It was also a little bit cold in our room during the night.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bdoro
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Me and my partner stayed at this hotel in Oct 2011 for three nights and it was our first time in Tallinn.

The hotel was easy to find- we got the 90k bus from the airport to the train station (Balti jaam) and we walked to the hotel from there. We were greeted by friendly staff and had an easy and simple check in.

I booked an economy room which is small basic room with bunk beds- I was aware of this when I booked the room and chose it as me and boyfriend knew we would be spending most of the trip out and about and I do think this room is perfect as a base for travellers who like to spend most of their time sightseeing. The room is basically a corridor with a bunk bed and a small en suite bathroom. There isn't anywhere to hang up clothes apart from a few hooks but we were happy to live out of a suitcase as it was only for a few nights. The room was perfect for us and such good value and clean and comfortable and had everything we needed. The hotel itself is really cute and quirky and nicely furnished

The staff were really friendly, spoke fantastic English and were really helpful providing us with maps and guides.

Breakfast at the hotel was a lovely buffet and a great way to start the day- great choice of hot and cold options as well as a few Estonian favourites! Staff again were really nice- I spilled milk twice and they were so nice about cleaning it up!

What really sells this hotel is it's FANTASTIC location. It is right in the centre of the Old Town- literally a minute walk to the main square and all the main sights are walkable from the hotel. Despite being so close to the main square we had no noise to speak of and had a lovely peaceful nights sleep our whole stay there. Great choice of restuarants on Pikk street and also on Pikk street is a little shop which is great for buying snacks, drinks and other food and other bits which was so handy and conveinant. We also travelled to Helsinki for a day trip and the ferry terminal is about 15-20 mins away which again was great for us.

Another great thing about the hotel is that about 20-30 mins walk away is another Meriton hotel with a spa that guests of the Old Town Garden Hotel can use for free- saunas and jacuzzi's are the perfect way to relax after a days sightseeing!

We absolutely loved our time in Tallinn and fell in love with the lovely cobbled streets and beautiful sights and culture- so much to see and do! We loved our time at the Old Town Garden Hotel as it's just such good value for such a good hotel in such a great location. Would highly recommend this hotel and would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jennifer I
Reviewed 7 January 2012

On a return trip to Tallinn when a hotel that I had previously stayed in was full for most of my intended stay, the first place that I then thought of as an alternative was The Meriton Old Town Garden Hotel. I had eaten a few times in the Tapas bar which is in the basement of the hotel on my previous visit. The food there was always very nice & the staff were always very helpful and friendly. In fact it is so clean that you could almost eat from the floor. I was able to book the first 2 nights of my trip at the end of December in the Meriton Old Town Garden Hotel. It was good value, the breakfast was very good & plentiful. Again the kitchen in the main part of the hotel for the breakfast was very clean. All the staff in the hotel were very friendly & helpful. In fact I forgot to bring an adaptaor for my I-Phone but the staff at the reception both during the night time & day time allowed me to plug in my USB outlet into the back of the computer to recharge it for 2 nights until I got a new adaptor specifically for the I-Phone. At the end of December & at the start of January it was a very busy time in Tallinn with both the new year & Orhodox celebration on the 6th January making it difficult to get rooms especially as I left it until the 24th of December to book, never the less when I was at the hotel the receptionist Viktoria upgraded me to a double room for the 2nd night as it became available & also when I mentioned that I may go to a dentist she also made me a booking nearby. You can walk to everything in Tallinn Old Town from this hotel, it is quaint like the old town itself & all the staff are very friendly & helpful. I would recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: Ask about the different rooms available before you book to ensure you get a quiet side or slightly b...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 January 2012

On arrival at the hotel we were allocated room 106 which is located in the courtyard area. The room was a lovely size and was accessed by stairs to the first floor where the main area located - it was a very quirky room with lots of beams and character
The hotel has a lovely cafe area with georgeous cakes and coffee - a perfect place to spend a few hours
Breakfast was basic but nice and the food was always kept topped up so nothing ever ran out
the location of the hotel could not be better - the main entrance is just round the corner from pikk street so all bars, restaurants and attractions are within walking distance
free use of the spa at their sister hotel was a nice touch and well worth a visit on a cold dreary day
my only complaint about the hotel was the cleaning - our bed was made but the towels were not changed or the bathroom cleaned (toothpaste marks stayed around the sink for the 5 days we were there)

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple