“Warm hearted Japanese restaurant”

Japanese Restaurant Haku
Ranked #146 of 1,137 Restaurants in Tallinn
Price range: US$6 - US$17
Description: Welcome to authentic Japanese restaurant in Tallinn! Restaurant "Haku" is a cosy place to enjoy authentic Japanese dishes and atmosphere. Restaurant "Haku" Japanese chef comes from Hokkaido, Japan. Before he worked as a head chef in Japanese embassies and michelin stars restaurant "Bulgari". Restaurant "Haku" offers variety of traditional Japanese food as: sushi, tempura, tonkatsu and don dishes.
Reviewed November 8, 2017

Haku, beloved Haku… it’s much more pleasant to write about the winners, isn’t it? Who haven’t heard yet, I inform this Japanese restaurant has won three categories of the gastronomic competition Silverspoon 2017: Best International kitchen, Best Chef and Best Service. I remind that the restaurant consists only of two people: Shuichi Shiraishi and his wife Marju. A conclusion is obvious: couple wins in all the means!

The interior and the atmosphere have remained the same: reserved and laconic. Only more pictures on walls and figurines in secluded places were added. Music is local, local for the chef, I mean. Murmur of the fountain is something brand new. Noise of a rain added a cosiness outside the window therefore there was no wish to leave before the closing. Two hours have flown by so fast, and even pauses between dishes seemed too rapid.

Service – always in the person of Marju. Excellent manners and knowledge of the menu – here is self-evident. It is good that there are no other personnel, may happen they couldn’t find spirit of this house. And the fact that the owner and the hostess see off, bowing as for the guest of honor, – this I haven’t seen anywhere else. Absolute respect of Each guest.

Food. On the website of the menu it isn’t updated therefore on the place I was caught by a surprise. The menu was shortened. For example, there are no sushi sets in a’la carte menu any more, there are no beef, salmon dishes, several soups and couple of desserts.

Amuse bouche – tartare sauce from a whitefish with a certain sauce, sesame and greens.

Starters are chosen both tempura: king prawns and vegetables. Piping hot arrive baskets with tempting viands! The thin layer of roasting, absolutely not heavy, which also doesn’t interrupt from the main taste of stuffings. King prawns are served with a green salad in sweet-sour sauce, a little acetic. The all-sorts of vegetables (sweet potato, asparagus, shimeji, broccoli, prawns again) accompany my favourite matcha salt and tempura sauce.

Main course, at last, a duck with teriyaki and berry sauce. Excellent pieces, without skin and fat, almost like fillet mignon. Recreational adding: strawberry, shimeji, greens, white garden radish, carrots straws. It looks harmoniously and combined. Unless broccoli loudly crackled despite other soft ensemble. Served with steamed rice.

The following dish was also with rice: Japanese style chicken cutlet. Oh, it is good! Fried battered with a gold thick crust, and inside you find the softest exuding meat. Explosion of emotions, and I only say “mm, give me more!”, but husband didn’t share. The same set of greens and vegetables in soy sauce was for garnish.

If among starters and main courses it was hard to choose, then desserts choice was done promtly. Tofu, or written as green tea pudding. I can compare it with the panna-cotta on consistence, the pudding nevertheless is more liquid. On taste it is difficult to correlate to something, a unique thing. Tofu with a sesame shade, dried tofu on top, served with local maple syrup. I asked syrup separately and I wasn’t mistaken: the dessert should have “moistened” nothing.

Average bill for person is 25 EUR without drinks. From drinks, of course, I take buckwheat tea. Just because more I haven’t met it anywhere else.

Sum. Should I add a bitter pill, so everything won’t seem too perfect? I can’t. Well, there was nothing bothering me. It’s a splendid restaurant where time moves the measured steps; where you feel like most welcomed guest, almost a friend; where food… food is just beyond all praise!

Interior and atmosphere – 5/5
Service – 5/5
Food – 5/5
Overall impression – 5/5

2  Thank Kristina J
marju b, General Manager at Japanese Restaurant Haku, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2017

Thank you Kristina!
We very appreciate your review! Thank you very much! We have just a passion to serve the best food as we can and to make customers feel comfortable and relax at our restaurant.
You are always very welcome to back! Thank you so much, Kristina! With best regards,
Marju and Shuichi

Reviewed November 4, 2017 via mobile

If you are alittle bit of a foodie go here! The prawns i had as apetiser was just amazing! i thought i had ate such before but now i have a totally new standard to measure against!
As main dish i had duck and it was just fantastic! I tried some of the sushi they served also and it was just eyeopening.
Very smal place and you will be taken care of to 100% by both server and chef. They explain the dish for you and point out the smal details. Chef also came and explained about the fantastic plum wine they have.
Truly a fantastic little restaurant. And well worth a visit.
And for sure on the list of places to go back to.

marju b, Owner at Japanese Restaurant Haku, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2017

Thank you very much such a nice review! You are always welcome back! Withe best regards, Shuichi and Marju Shiraishi

Reviewed September 15, 2017 via mobile

My friend and I visited Haku. We heard that at Haku restaurant you can truly experience a Japanese cuisine and atmosphere! Guess what? It's the best Japanese restaurant that I have ever been in Nordic Europe so far! Nice cozy place with all possible decorations like small fountain and origamis on the each seat! We had a really nice service by the staff in a kimono! I'd say she took us as her guests not a customers! Food was really really delicious! I think sashimi there is the most fresh that you can possible have! The Duck Udon was also delicious and the presentation of the dish was also stunning!
Also I'd like to point out staffs' hospitality: during our dinner they experienced some technical difficulties with electricity (NB! This didn't affect our dinner in any way, because the main lights were on, basically no music and fountain). Staff apologized for any problems but we said that everything's fine. After a couple of minutes chef itself came to our table and gave us a Peach Liquor on the house as an apology for any inconvenience. I highly highly recommend this place to experience an authentic Japanese cuisine and a really brilliant service!

Reviewed March 23, 2017 via mobile

Very small restaurant, excellent Japanese food, fire in the fireplace. I love it. It is walking distance to the Old Town, the Kadriorg Park, the Art Museum KuMu and the sea. You can enjoy all these attractions and then relax in a small Japanese restaurant.

2  Thank Sakilla
Reviewed March 14, 2017

I can't tell too much, but it was amazing! The food, the plcace, the service, the waitress- everything was on point!

2  Thank Jane S