“Very good value, nice atmosphere”

Latvian National Opera
Book In Advance
More Info
US$59.16*
and up
Old Town and Art Nouveau Walking Tour of Riga
Ranked #9 of 326 things to do in Riga
Reviewed September 10, 2017

Went to see The Marriage of Figaro, and while I'm not much of a judge it seemed to be of a high standard in comparison to other performances of that opera I've seen. Tickets were very good value. We sat in the stalls row 12 and the view and acoustics were very good. Sur-titles were very high up so you had to keep glancing up - if you want to follow closely I wouldn't recommend stalls for this reason. Seats are comfortable, of the faux 'dining chair' style i.e. actually fixed together at the arms and to the floor. There were two intervals. The downstairs bar/cafe is lovely. When we pre-ordered interval drinks and a piece of cake we were allocated our own table which was nicer than the usual system of collecting your drinks from a shelf or side table that you often get in the UK. It was sold out and I noticed that audience members, especially locals, were relatively dressed up especially ladies - good for them. Casual would be fine though - I was wearing jeans and a crumpled jacket out of my rucksack and didn't feel out of place.

1  Thank Ian1917
in 26 reviews
"production"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed September 9, 2017

Saw the National Opera on the boat (was having the boat ride along the canal). Went there on foot and it was an elegant building.

Reviewed September 7, 2017

Latvian National Opera another must see, during the visit of Riga. Located next to city canal, also with a beautiful park in front of the building, this house opera is a great monument of architecture constructed first as German Theatre. Beautiful building with great acoustics, a wonderful place for opera, ballet and other music performances.

Reviewed September 6, 2017

One of the most beautiful places in Riga. Brings you back in time with its vibe. Locals say that it looks even better from the inside.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 4, 2017 via mobile

If you have time during your visit to Riga, make sure you try to catch a performance at the beautiful Latvian National Opera!
I have been here for a few performances now, however on my last visit I was lucky enough to get one of the last tickets to see Swan Lake!
Visit the website before you're visit to see what is being shown on the dates you visit.
I would advise booking tickets before you're trip if it is a big performance such as Swan lake or Madama Butterfly as they always sell out.
The Website can be tricky to purchase tickets so I normally get my hotel to book them for me.