All reviews konventa seta several buildings former convent great location old town booked a junior suite affordable hotel hotel is located no lift small kitchen on foot breakfast is served freedom monument visiting riga hotel bar cold meats spacious room
Reviewed October 31, 2018

The hotel is situated in the Old Riga City Centre, close to shopping centers, cafes, restaurants and sightseeing. The prices are quite affordable. We stayed in the 2nd building on the 4th floor without elevator.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank TigranAr
Reviewed October 30, 2018

The hotels is a campus of seven units built on the site of a former convent, hence the name. The hotel had an interesting history, and is arguably the site of one of the oldest buildings in Riga. My room on the ground floor, 008, was very quiet, despite a thoroughfare on one side and a route to another unit on the other. The hotel, one of several owned by the chain in Riga, presented good value for money. If I had a critiscm it would be about the breakfast. A Brit should not expect Full English, and even then, make allowances for...salads and steamed vegetables. But you will get nourishment. The coffee is good. Cups take Americano and a shot of Expresso. Very multi-cultural within the bloc. My room seemed to attract Room Service late in the afternoon, which after day four I commented on, with no real answer other than it was not acceptable. ( I was not fussed, just curious!) The location is great for the Old Town, with a seriouys mall a couple of minutes away if your btter half wants to shop!

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed October 26, 2018

For the money - definitely! Absolutely no complaints ... apart from lack of lighting in the room perhaps.
Friendly staff, substantial choice at breakfast, ideally located, comfortable beds, hot and powerful shower, Nicely if simply decorated - breakfast rooms had themes; excellent value for money, What's not to like?
It was busy but that wasn't an issue - breakfast items were rapidly replaced and no lack of hot water.
5 minute walk from the main bus stops, 10 mins from the central market and Stalins Birthday Cake for great views; and bang in the middle of the old town.
And talking of the old town ... the 12th century city walls form part of the Konventa.
My daughter and I had a lovely half term (apart from the weather but can't blame the hotel for that!).
Seriously, apart from lack of decent lighting in our room we had no issues and if we were to return to Riga we'd happily come back here.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed October 24, 2018 via mobile

Six people, two nights, with breakfast and in the city centre? £176 (188€). Must be a dump with awful facilities surely? Nope. I've stayed in far worse hotels.
This hotel is so central to Riga old Town with an excellent breakfast range and is clean. I would most definitely stay there again if life brings me back to Riga.
It only gets four because the bar closes at 10 (which is not the end of the world), there are no tea facilities in the room (Brits abroad!!!) and the barman had a top knot.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed October 21, 2018

Fishy credit card issues and unbearable noise 0-24h

The only positive thing about this hotel is the location.

Fishy banking card handling

I attended a conference and the organizers booked me this hotel through a travel agency (otherwise I would have left it right after the check-in). They told me that because I did not book the room personally, they needed my banking card number as a "guarantee" in case I consume something from the minibar (there was no minibar in the room), smoke in the room or break something. I have stayed at quite a lot of hotels in Europe including Latvia but I have never experienced anything like that. Plus I had to sign a paper that I allow them to check the validity of my credit card in case something goes wrong. However, it wasn’t written there that they have noted my credit card number and how they will handle this sensitive financial information. I wasn’t even given a copy of this paper. When I objected the whole procedure and asked more details about it, they told me that they only noted the number of the card and not the security code, maybe it was true but I cannot be sure; I should have only shown it to them and not give it out of my hands but I was so surprised in the beginning that didn’t even realize what was going on. When I asked what is my guarantee that they will not use my card data for shopping online etc. they just told me that I can be calm that they just won’t use it (it’s not worth for them if they work here)... So I give them my financial data and the only guarantee that I get is their verbal promise... It’s very nice but if it’s about money, it is not enough... Also when I asked how is it in accordance with the EU’s GDPR, they couldn’t answer anything. I also asked who can access my card data then and they tried to reassure me that it’s only the hotel... For me, even one or two persons is too much, and there are dozens if not more people working there... I wanted to speak to the manager and they told me they would call him but then I was told he was at a meeting, so the receptionist reassured me again and I had no other choice than to resign myself to accept it and hope for the best (or maybe go to another hotel and pay for the room myself, but they already had my data, so I thought that would not have made much sense). I have to tell the receptionists were quite polite despite of the situation, I guess it is not their fault there is such a stupid and suspicious practice.

Constant noise that makes it impossible to sleep properly

But maybe I would still have gone to another hotel if have known that is almost impossible to sleep and have a rest in the room. The room was in building 7, it even had a small kitchenette, it was spacious, it would have been ok (except for the uncomfortable bed), but there was a constant loud noise of some machine coming from outside that I could clearly hear even through closed windows. (I cannot imagine what is the situation like in hot weather when you have to keep the windows open.) At first I hoped that it is only at daytime and will stop for the night, but I was wrong. Those machines were working day and night constantly, there was literally not even one minute of silence. I could not sleep much for the first night, but I didn’t have time in the morning to complain about it, so went to the reception the next afternoon. They told me they couldn’t give me another room now as they were fully booked. As for the noise, they noted the room number and said they would check it (I don’t know if anyone came to check) and they asked me what kind of noise it is and where it is coming from. How should I know it, I’m not a mechanic, I cannot recognize it from the noise. I was thinking it’s the heating or ventilation systems because it was on all the time. They said it cannot be and no one has complained so far. I refuse to believe it, the only case it doesn’t disturb someone if they are completely deaf. Other participants of the conference, accommodated in the neighbouring rooms said they also heard it. I just cannot understand how they could think it is ok to put rooms next to machines that are that noisy and buzzing all the time, including the whole night. I do not have any special expectations from a hotel, but I think the most basic thing is to have a proper sleep, and it is impossible next to the source of such noise. In Hungary, where I live, there are strict rules regarding noise pollution for residential buildings. I wonder if such rules do not apply for hotels in Latvia. And not to mention the workers making their phone conversations under my window and the loud music last night in addition to the usual machine buzzing… I asked for earplugs (the forgot to offer it), but they didn’t help at all.

Worn-out, sagging mattresses

The beds were uncomfortable and in a bad condition. The spring mattresses were worn out and sagging: one of the mattresses was dirty on the side so it was clearly very old. The pillows were also very poor, as soon as I put my head on it, becomes flat like a pancake.

Low quality food at breakfast

As for the breakfast, all the food and drinks are put on a long and narrow corridor, so it is very uncomfortable as it is difficult for two people to even pass next to each other, and there are also people trying to pick from the food and waiters serving it. There was no fresh bread or bakeries, instead there was a toaster so theoretically you could toast it for yourself, but it is impossible to stand there for long in that narrow corridor because you will cause a traffic jam. The selection is indeed good, but lot of the food is of low quality. The “orange juice” didn’t even have any fruit content, just sugar and artificial flavourings, I guess, it was not worth to drink it. My colleague complained about the coffee. The second day, the hot water container was not there and the water that came from the coffee machine was muddled. The cold cuts and hams looked so suspicious that I didn’t even try them; the next day there was a ham that looked and tasted good, but only one slice left. There was no natural (unflavoured, unsweetened) yoghurt, only sweetened ones.

Room tip: Building 7 is next to the ventilation, noisy, impossible to sleep and no elevator
  • Trip type: Travelled on business