All reviews overlooking the square executive room old town sister hotel excellent location free wifi bottled water breakfast was excellent large room weekend break comfortable rooms visiting riga three nights hotel restaurant noise airport sauna
Reviewed August 29, 2015

Stayed for two nights on a business trip. Though location is centre of Old Town but very noisy in night due to bands playing in restaurants nearby. Very difficult to sleep. Rooms are just average and poorly maintained. Hardly any TV channels worth watching (mostly Russian and local). Breakfast was below average with very limited spread. Over all an average stay. Better avoid as it is not worth the price they charge.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank Pradeep-61
Reviewed August 29, 2015 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel with my partner and son. We had an executive room with a fold out. It was spacious and clean with dressing gowns and slippers provided. Coming in the evening to turn down our beds and leave us chocolates was a nice touch. Customer service in general was excellent. Breakfast was very nice, I thought the variety was just fine. My only beef is the tea and coffee - one small cup is not enough and getting a second cup was impossible. It's lovely coffee but maybe having a self service coffee set up would be better. Either this or put tea and coffee facilities in the room.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Kirby M
Reviewed August 14, 2015

We thought the hotel was perfect in terms of location, cleanliness, friendliness of staff,facilities in the room and dinner. It was really sad that so few people had dinner in the dining room- the food was superb and extremely good value. We had one evening eating out in the street restaurants and the food came nowhere close.
The staff in the hotel were all extremely helpful.
If we returned to Riga, we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank annesteventon
Reviewed August 14, 2015

It was a short stay and i booked it last minute, where it was showing special deal price 100 instead of 400. Well, the location is super central, so central that if you're sensitive sleeper you may find it slightly noisy from streets outside, but i'm not so i slept well.
But as other fellow travellers mentioned here, the location is its best benefit. Nice, friendly staff, nice modest breakfast. It is worth the special deal rate, if you get it - go for it.

Room Tip: If you seek quiet sleep go for rooms facing inner side of the hotel, not the city views.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed August 12, 2015

Locationwise, it is second to none! But beware: it is not even close to a five star hotel!!!

Just came back today from a two nights stay in this hotel & here's what I think:

Spacious enough rooms (the kind of space a simple pension hotel would provide, though, don't expect anything special). Cleanliness of room leaves a lot to be desired. Shabby room furniture/upholstery that has seen much better days. Windows open into a practically non-existent balcony which you can't enjoy for it's too narrow (not even enough room for one person to be out). Tv is there only to be there... Hardly any channels in English, that would be of interest to a tourist, usually to be taken for granted in any 5* hotel (,in other words,: Nat. Geo, travel channel, can, etc). Carpets full of old stains/spots, white curtains practically grey because of dirt, etc. Minibar full of mostly drinks but hardly any snacks, in case of midnight munchies. Still, reasonably priced. No coffee or tea making facilities (trust me this is a big issue for there is no way of finding coffee, should your flight be leaving before 8 a.m. The hotel room service is non existent, and the reception girl said to me at 06:30 there wasn't any way we could find coffee either within the hotel or out.
Breakfast is average on its way down...! Not even close to what one would call "a decent variety" and service is below decent! In fact, it is cold & indifferent. Special policy to turn the blind eye to the small buffet items that had run out, in order to avoid replenishment [went down 45 mins before ending time of breakfast - there were neither any cheese left nor any croissants (as if here was a huge choice of other items and nobody would notice - lol) and had I not asked the waitress they would have not been replenished]. Also, not enough breakfast tables - I saw people having breakfast even on coffee tables of the foyer!... At night the breakfast hall, apparently turns into an a-la-carte restaurant, but all throughout our two nights stay not a soul was there, despite their effort to promote it among guests upon arrival, by giving you a 10%discount, should you decide to dine there!... Still, it's no wonder nobody would turn up!
No concierge service either. Reception service didn't seem to make up for it. On our list night there, I asked for a street taxi to the airport at 06:15, the next day (I knew that the ride to the airport was about 12 euros) and the receptionist pretended not to have understood that I wanted a STREET taxi and said that she would make sure I would make sure that THEIR taxi would be ready for 06:15 to pick us up. I saw through her and reapeated "I asked for a street taxi, not YOUR taxi. Do you have a hotel taxi, also? And if yes, what is the cost to the airport? She said 15 euros (flat rate), and I said ok (what the hell, it was only 3 more euros and if it was a hotel taxi I would feel safer). Next morning, we realised that IT WAS SIMPLY A STREET TAXI they had just called for and to make matters worse, it came ten minutes later than the pre-arranged appointment (ten minutes at 06:00 is ten minutes - trust me). So, we ended up paying a 12-euro-street taxi 15 euros! I found this cheeky, blatantly inappropriate for a 5*, and irritating...
Also, two things before I forget: a) our room looked onto the front street and was too noisy (personally I don't and didn't mind) till late at night from bars, restaurants etc opposite the hotel and b) upon check out, ask to see the breakdown of your mini bar bill (we only got a small water and a chocolate from it but during checkout they tried to sneak another two waters into our bill - which I personally found very "cheap").

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends