“Needs spruce up and staff training”

Royal Square Hotel & Suites
Ranked #57 of 110 Hotels in Riga
Reviewed 12 September 2017

The hotel is in a great location but could do with a refurb - it's a bit 1980's in the reception area and some parts need repair - broken balcony in our room/lights not working etc.

Clean & does the job.

The staff were really surly and not terribly helpful but they did a fair job.

Breakfast was good - though again the service was a bit hit and miss.

The suite was enormous - huge bed/ sofa bed & enough room for a party!

Room Tip: Don't have a room overlooking the square or main street
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 6 September 2017

The perfect hotel to stay if you are visiting Riga. Located as centrally as possible, in the middle of the old town. Get out of the front door and then you're in the middle of Riga's vibrant nightlife. And yet it's not noisy there.

The hotel is very high standard. Big, great room. Very clean. Daily cleaning. Helpful and friendly staff. Only improvement potential is the breakfast, which was boring and small.

This hotel is recommended.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 September 2017

Pleasantly surprised - the room was spacious and a very good desk for work! All staff was helpful and truly forthcoming - thank you!
As I work, I would love double power outlets and not only single as when travelling on business one need electricity to more devices at any one time.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

First you need to know that Riga is a noisy place and a bit of a party town. Certainly this hotel gets quite a lot of the noise too.
Now you can get around that, but to go to the next level, things should be working. The safe still doesn't work despite asking, and several parts of the barrier between the outside barrier beyond the window, and certain death, are missing !
The room itself, a large room on a corner with double aspect windows was fine.
Two breakfast cereals had chocolate in, which for some of you would be a welcomed thing, but not for me I'm afraid. And a truly great place would have found me a room even when I appeared an hour and a half before check in time, and not stick to the letter of the law.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 August 2017

My second stay at this hotel in a couple of months. This was definitely my last. Sad to say, but the service has dropped significantly since April. The so-called 5-stars they give themselves does not make up to the standard you will find at any 2-starred hotel.

Welcomed by the front desk trying to trick me to paying in cash only (they said the card reader didn't work - it did), a heavily stained bed sheet (see pic) which that they didn't change, and a receptionist arguing that the sauna is not complimentary even if my room folder states that it's "free of charge for all guests staying at the hotel".

Apparently customers have nothing to say here. Breakfast staff served me cappuccino 3 days in a row during my last stay, but when asking for a cup this time, they answered impolitely that they've never served this.

Do not fall for the employees tricks here, at least I'm not staying at this hotel ever again.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank reisedreng
Reviewed 28 July 2017 via mobile

Unfortunately we are here for 10 days, and I'll tell you that the hotel does not correspond to 5 stars, I would give this hotel 3 stars. I will say why, there are no foreign languages ​​in the TV, there is no news in English BBC and EURONEWS. Only Russian and Latvian. Much that I noticed an example when we returned back to the Hotel by 12am, then the lights are off in the corridors, all the lights are turned off for the night, I noticed the girls who clean the rooms, it's very audible how they swear at not pleasant words. Well in our room the glass near the tables is broken. The ceiling on top of the lamp does not look so sure if it does not fall. Well, we had a friend then he has in the room, even a phone to call to the reception, does not work. TV does not work. Where is the boss of this hotel, and why is there no order.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank BOhh87
Reviewed 17 July 2017

The day we were checking in they said that credit cards cannot be accepted due to some technical issues. That was the very first "surprise" and that was not it. We had no cash with us. I asked the lobby whether it's possible to pay later, cause first we wanted to get some rest after the flight. They replied that it's not in their policy and we have to pay before checking in. So to receive the key to the hotel room that we have already booked, we had to find cash in a city we've never visited before. When we finally got into our room first thing that didn't work was the safe-box, which they finally fixed after my calls to the lobby but still it was too complicated to use. Then we found out that the fridge (which was also a mini-bar) is not working at all, I mean totally. The idea of cooling our champagne was ruined. Again I had to call to the lobby. Few minutes later porter arrived to examine the fridge. His offer was to bring me some Ice in a bucket, which he could not find later by the way. I suppose the fridge has not been working for ages in this "Royal" Hotel.
During our 2 day stay in this horrible place I heard from my neighbors that their fridges are not working as well and the electronic keys to their room malfunction (they literally had to ask the lobby 3 times to get inside of their room).
The day we were checking out I asked the lobby call for a taxi to transfer us to the airport. What arrived was not a regular taxi with any taxi sings. It was a black Mercedes Benz which cost us 20 Eur. The driver was their worker which is obvious.
Worst hotel experience ever.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple