All reviews private garden ren toiletries olive oil share tips huge walk in shower armona island relaxing days peace and tranquility friend's home terrace room your disposal rainfall shower eye for detail boutique hotel faro airport local beaches gardens are beautiful
Reviewed July 7, 2016 via mobile

I've travelled a lot, from Bali to Mauritius, from NY to Lima and Sao Paolo to Napels.... you name it.
But for the first time ever, I feel the need to write a review.

My experience at Fazenda Nova was fantastic..... The peace, the beauty of the surroundings, the simply delicious food, the eye for detail, the 'home away from home' vibe.... everything was sublime. The staff was excellent, not intrusive but perfectly aware of you presence and giving superbe service when needed and also advice on what to see in the area.

Truly one of a kind... Fazenda Nova is one of my all time favourites and we will surely be back.

Date of stay: July 2016
3  Thank Sofie S
Reviewed June 13, 2016

I am fortunate to live in Portugal and travel a lot and I must say that this has to be one of the very best upscale hotels in Portugal. OK its not a hotel, or a resort. It is much more special. Nestled inland, in the easter part of the Algarve, this country hotel is made up of 10 magnificent rooms located on an old and exquisitely decorated olive oil farm. With 200 year old olive trees around, the gardens have been beautifully landscaped. Peaceful, in harmony with nature, secluded (but close to the main roads), with a passion for detail and service this place rocks. And you can tell by the clientele that repeat their visit. Discreet but flying on from the City, New York, etc. Everything is done with an amazing quality and service details.
Tim is the owner who with his wife have mad this amazing place. They have an excellent breakfast and dinner. They will also recommend some fantastic short trips and eating experiences. As Tim says "trust me, and let me tell you what you need to see". And boy was she right. Very professional staff with Diego standing out. Its a place to relax, enjoy, explore the region which is one of the best kept secrets of Portugal.
Despite them having kids themselves, small kids are restricted and once you are there you fully understand. Not cheap, but excellent value for money for what you get.

Room tip: All are good. Best is to contact the hotel and ask them what is available.
Date of stay: May 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Anthony G
Reviewed May 20, 2016

The Fazenda is a large complex, with many small buildings, gardens and orchards. The rooms are actually mini apartment grouped around a main building/lobby/restaurant where guests can lounge on the sofa, enjoy the fireplace and have their meals and drinks. If the weather is nice you can eat and drink outside, in the beautiful terraced area. Each room has a "private" garden and enough privacy for my purposes. Our room was tastefully decorated and furnished with a large, comfortable bed, sofa, chairs, framed prints on the walls. Complementing the living space, were a huge walk-in closet and an in-suite, large bathroom. We were provided with soft towels and robes and Ren toiletries. The shower was also walk-in and quite spacious.

Since I like music, my favourite part of the "public" area was the record collection. Located in the mezzanine of the main building, this space offers two turntables, high-tech headphones and a huge collection of LPs to suits most tastes. To compound pop music addiction, you can peruse the complete collection of The Face, famous magazine of the 80s and 90s. The weather being awful during my stay, I had the chance to enjoy hours of uninterrupted musical pleasure. Downstairs, besides eating and drinking, you can sit next to the cosy fireplace and flip through fancy travel and design magazines.

The only two things I found slightly disappointing were the unheated pool and the "interrupted" driveway. Portugal is not a tropical country and even in August the water of unheated pools is freezing. Even more so in a coldish month of May. I wrongly assumed that such a fancy establishment could invest in heating the pool, but not such luck. The driveway stops abruptly half-way to the reception/lobby/main building area. If this was done to confuse trespassers, the purpose was fully achieved. However, for guests, it is annoying enough having to drag your suitcases to the main building, even more so if you arrive while it is raining..

Apart from this, we had a lovely stay, almost unhindered by the bad weather. Staff is courteous and friendly; rooms are cleaned very efficiently while guests have breakfast; breakfast itself is a pleasant meal with several sweet and salted choices and the two dinners we consumed in the premises were also good.

Date of stay: May 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dierregi
Reviewed May 16, 2016 via mobile

Difficult to mark this hotel as if we didn't have the issue with our booking which was never resolved I would rate this hotel very highly.

The problem we had was we booked this hotel to start our honeymoon back in May 2014. My wife took a considerable amount of time choosing between various hotels and ended up selecting this one based on the specific recommendation of the owners directing us to the garden room (room 6 I believe). We were told this is where they normally put their honeymooners as its secluded, a bit more romantic than the other rooms and had a private garden.

Upon arrival there was some confusion over our room as a member of staff questioned the room they had been instructed to put us in by the owner (male) but we were shown to a room which overall was a very nice space with a small outdoor area, however this area was next to a footpath so unfortunately not very private which made us reluctant to use it. Now with most hotels this wouldn't be an issue but the time and care which has been put into each room to make them an individual space is also the hotels downfall because if you are placed into an alternative room to the one that you booked it is a completely different decor, layout and overall experience.

Our stay was very pleasant but always marred by this issue of the rooms and even more so when discovered the room was empty when we arrived and only occupied on the second night after our arrival.

We did question the room issue but as we hadn't brought a printed reservation confirmation couldn't prove anything and were told we had booked the room we were in. When we returned home we discovered the receipt stated we were correct and should have been in the garden room.

All in all we felt something underhanded happened here which if we were told at the beginning there had been an issue I'm positive a resolution could have been achieved which both parties would have been happy with. With the confusion at the beginning and the receipt proving we were right it seems as though the room was double booked and they thought they would call our bluff. Even checking out seemed awkward with none of the usual "did you enjoy your stay" etc. questions, again as if there was an issue trying to be avoided.

Not how we wanted to start our honeymoon but these things happen.

I don't want to talk too ill of this hotel as it is a beautiful place and I would happily return but my only advice would be confirm and confirm again what you have booked.

Maybe lots of you will say we just need to learn to let go and enjoy life a bit more but with so much excitement and expectation for the beginning of our honeymoon it was a let down but with this aside we did enjoy our time here. The pool and the grounds were lovely and the food was good.

Date of stay: June 2015
9  Thank random_babble
Reviewed April 6, 2016 via mobile

FN brings the customer experience bang up to date. No fussiness, formality or faff on show here. You're on vacation. You're in nirvana. Let the warmth & kindness of the FN team wash over you. Cleanse your spirit and drift away in orange-blossom scented bliss.

Graceful, elegant, welcoming and kind. These qualities were abundantly displayed by the in-house team. Gabriella, Marisa and Diego have the customer experience covered. They've nailed it. Above and beyond. Behind the scenes housekeeping ensure that rooms are immaculate and refreshed whilst you're at breakfast. Nice touch. The chef delighted us at every meal.

The rural setting is a sanctuary - an idyllic hideaway. The house is stylish, homely and eclectic. Immaculately finished, there are touches of personality, finesse and quirkiness everywhere. A vinyl collection to die for - reminiscent of a vibrant and colourful youth. Remember the TV show 'Lost in Space'? Spot the robot inspired artefacts.... In room towels deserve a special mention. Soft, fluffy and smelling sensational. The quality of the concrete finish on the flooring and walls is phenomenal.

Bikes were a highlight for us. Tavira centre is a 30minute cycle through wonderful farmland. The return leg is a little hilly but well worth the exercise. Fuseta is a fishing village easily explored by bike. Seek out Casa Corvo for epic sea food cooked simply with garlic, salt and olive oil. Perfection exists in the freshness of the fish. Why mess with it?

Live the dream. Go explore. Be inspired. Obrigado Tim, Hallie & the FN team. Until next time.

Date of stay: April 2016