All reviews guest lounge lovely home morning tea ferry terminal queen charlotte track private bathroom great hosts homemade bread two nights comfortable rooms a wonderful stay lounge area easy walk fridge poached harbour views
Reviewed November 30, 2016 via mobile

I stayed two nights with Glenys and Gary just after the earthquake in Kaikoura. I had intended to drive along the coastal road to Picton via Kaikoura. Undaunted I took the road inland via Arthur's Pass and Murchison. The drive was absolutely beautiful and a lovely way to start my holiday.
When I arrived they were most welcoming and the accommodation was excellent with a cold bottle of wine waiting in the guest's lounge fridge. Breakfast of homemade muesli, home stewed pears and plums, yoghurt, homemade bread and preserves were all a delight. Oh and not forgetting the muffin!

Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Jenny G
Reviewed November 28, 2016

Three of us stayed after a four day hike along the Queen Charlotte track. Our hosts were absolutely delightful and made us feel so welcome. Gary even went out of his way to pick us up in the pouring rain from the water taxi dock.
Truly, a sweet couple and a very nice place.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed November 15, 2016

My friends and I stayed here for one night after finishing the Queen Charlotte Track. It was a wonderful and relaxing stay, perfect for resting up sore feet! The proprietors, Glennys and Gary, are delightful and very attentive. It was pouring rain the day we ended our trek, and Gary came to pick us up at the town pier so we didn't have to schlep our bags in the rain to their house. Once there, they gave us a tour of the home and were incredibly helpful with directions and providing nice little touches, like a complimentary glass of wine in their lounge and homebaked cookies. Glennys is a great baker, and her homemade breads and muffins at breakfast were a real treat. The rooms were immaculate and so inviting--the bed was the most comfortable I slept in while in New Zealand with fluffy comforters and pillows. I stayed in the twin bedded room which is the only one without an en suite bathroom, but I had private use of the hallway bathroom which had a very large tub as well as a shower--the tub was perfect for a post-hike bubble bath soak! Definitely highly recommend this place for its great location (just a five-minute walk from the main part of town and waterfront), warm and friendly hosts, and comfortable cozy accommodations. Thank you, Glen and Gary, for a hospitable welcome!

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed September 22, 2016

After Queen Charlotte's Sound Trek I knew i wanted a nice place to chill out one night before heading to the North Island. The proprietors knew they might not be back from Christchurch prior to my arrival and were kind enough to leave my key with Marlborough Adventures. The room was top rate, The continental breakfast more than excellent with three types of homemade bread, cereals, homemade muesli, and the wonderful sound of coffee beans being ground. The owners are both dears!

I plan on staying there when I visit Picton again. I may even bring a little Wild Turkey!

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank DrSynteq
Reviewed September 6, 2016

Our room was perfect: view over the marina and Malborough Sound waters beyond. Our wonderful hosts, Glenis and Gary had thought of everything: not only in the appointments in the bedroom and ensuite, but in the adjacent lounge/TV/refreshments room - right down to home-cooked choc chip cookies (that kept getting replenished) and a complimentary Sauv Blanc. Glenis is a wonderful cook, so breakfasts were lovely. She and Gary went out of their way to advise us, help us and entertain us. The stay made our holiday memorable. Recommend highly.

Room Tip: One of the two rooms with a view of the water are best for those wanting water 'ambience'.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple