All reviews great view the ground floor room was large modern bathroom sky channels free wifi great shower stayed one night would stay again great room ferry terminal town centre harbour view marlborough sounds balcony luggage township
Reviewed April 3, 2018

Hotel very conveniently located with the leisure wharfs for Marlborough Sound excursions literally on the doorstep. Most rooms have glorious views but lack of air conditioning units means we had to open the sliding patio doors at night, and noise levels from bars across the street were a problem. In cooler months noise can be better managed as there is a small radiator in the room. There was also a cleaner with a ridiculously noisy vacuum cleaner doing the rounds in the corridors at 11pm or so. I asked him to stop as the decibel levels were unacceptable at that hour. Doors between the stairwells and corridors are also a noisy nuisance unless they are closed quietly by considerate guests instead of being allowed to slam shut. Hotel is not new but in good shape and reasonable value even compared to b&b places. WiFi is free and speed is good. We did not have buffet breakfast but it looked like a modest spread. Picton can get busy in summer so book in advance: we took this hotel's 2nd last available room ("deluxe seaview") at around 11am and we later noticed all other Picton hotels had "no vacancy" signs out. From the outside the yacht club certainly looks like the smartest hotel in town. Ask for a top floor room for better views/light and less noise.

Room Tip: ask for a top floor room
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed March 28, 2018 via mobile

Whilst not terrible it was a little bit well... meh!

First impressions were ok. The lady at reception didn’t really seem like she wanted to be there. Once you get past reception the decor could do with some touching up as the paint was peeling from quite a few doors.

I settled in and thought I’d try having a swim. That was a bad idea. The advertised heated pool was in fact not heated. I spent about 20 minutes slowly lowering myself in but couldn’t get past my neck. Shame as it would have been pure bliss sitting in the pool watching the sun set over the hills.

The ‘double’ bed turned out to be two singles pushed together which I guess for a couple isn’t a problem but for one person who wants to star fish it’s not particularly comfortable.

Decided to make myself a cup of tea. The refreshment area lacked a power point and I ended up boiling the kettle on the floor.

Having said all that the food in the restaurant was amazing. I ordered room service for dinner (and why not I’m on my holidays!) and it was amazing! Loved sitting looking out of the window enjoying my dinner. Breakfast was also a delight (after some confusion as to whether I’d already paid for it in my room booking)

The bathrooms appear to have been recently done up and were very nice. The raindrop shower was a good touch.

It wasn’t a bad place just didn’t wow me like I was hoping.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank James H
Reviewed March 27, 2018 via mobile

Not a cheap room (Superior King with Ocean View) which had a lot to live up to. The view of the harbour was perfect, as was the size of the room and service from the staff but.. It was a shame the balcony wasn’t secure, but shared, but clever louvre window meant we could sleep coolly and with confidence. Lovely big bed but only one bedside table? Lots of hot water but too much power from shower; enclosed shower space could not cope! No hooks in the shower room, sink, decor and some other amenities rather tired. The restaurant appeared to offer good value, limited choice but we wanted to try local and weren’t disappointed. Staff were polite and helpful and hotel well positioned but we were hoping for more luxury-was fine.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2018

Thought we were booking some nice rooms after a week walking Queen Charlotte Track. So disappointed when shown rooms (had 3 rooms booked). Double rooms were very small and hall stunk of BO. TV's in all rooms were tiny and very hard to watch. In the so called "superior twin" room, there was an old bar fridge as the room fridge and crockery was not matching. Water in shower pooled all over bathroom floor. Windows whistled in the wind all night.
2 ladies in the twin room were woken in night by a man who was given a key to wrong room by staff. Very frightening and unnerving which led to not much sleep at all. When we questioned staff next morning were told it was just a systems error and then charged full price (which was totally over priced anyhow) with hardly an apology. Emailed the manager to complain who has not even had the decency to reply.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have a view, don't be fooled by photos on website.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sheryl L
Reviewed March 12, 2018 via mobile

Nice location. Worth getting balcony if staying longer than one night. Smallest double bed I've slept in for years. Room 317 has kitchen extractor travelling through room so up to about 9.30pm and again at 6.15am the noise is bad and the wall vibrates.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple