“Good times with a tour group”

Brisas Trinidad del Mar
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Trinidad
Saskatchewan, Canada
“Good times with a tour group”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

This property was quite nice for the two nights we were there. I was part of a tour group and so maybe that had something to do with the good time. The food was O.K., the room was good (except we couldn't open our patio door) and we had an ocean view which was marvelous, the service was fine. The beach is great and close to the property. Enjoy yourself and don't worry.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Saturn_Sela

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 28 March 2012

All the reviews you see on this site are true, including the Good.the Bad and the Ugly.
First the ugly. After three hour flight we had a three and a half hour bus ride. This is after getting up at 3 am to get the 6 am flight (Hola Suntours/Canjet) When we arrive there are no porters so we have to haul our luggage to our rooms.No elevator so had to carry them up three flights of stairs. OK lets have a hot shower? Nope. No hot water and no water pressure. Had no hot water for three days. Fourth day met the largest Cockroach in the world. He was the size of my large toe.
Same day I got the worst case of Diarrhea I have ever had.I still have it a week later. Am going to my doctor to make sure it is not something worse. Can you spell food poisoning or Norovirus? And I even made sure I didnt drink the water so this must have come fromt the food.
Bad; The food except in the al a carte la Virgia restaurant upstairs where you can get lobster for $15 CUC and good wines ( all extra cost)
The bed was so thin and hard both me and my brother has sore backs all the time
Noisy. The walls are so thin you can hear the people in the next room scratching
The first night the couple next door were either "bumping ugly" or doing sit ups . I dont know which but they made a lot of noise.
Doors slamming Staff yelling at each other and the Clock Tower ringing every hour on the hour.
OK so lets have a drink. Cant the lobby bar closes as 10pm. The snack bar is so crowded it takes 20 minutes to get a drink. The management makes sure there are no more than 2 bartenders on duty at any time.Usually just one so they dont have to serve too many drinks.
OH Ya the "noseeums" are still showing up all over my body. Those are the sand flees that bite you and the mark shows up the next day. So the beach is nice but bring lots of bug spray.
The Good; The dancers are young , beautifull and very talented.
Oh ya the AC is iffy

Room Tip: 6207 ++ rooms near the back seem to be quieter Or get a room on the bottom floor so you dont have...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Adjusterboy

Travellers are raving about these Trinidad hotels

Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I had to stayed in this hotel, since the tour operator booked. I have no idea about the room rates but I can say for sure that it was a bad experience.

Its very far away from the Trinidad town center. The rooms are very old and dirty (even for Cuba). Everything in the hotel including the food, restaurant, the atmosphere is cheap. No chance to try the beach so I have no idea.

It may only be acceptable for the family with kids or old tourists want to play Bingo on the pool side. For the others avoid it. Seriously

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank meetjoeblack
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Had a couple of nights here as part of a tour.

Plus points: the grounds well kept and nice to walk around. The beach is amazing, soft sand, warm sea. We lucked out with a room by the beach front where we could watch a great sunset from our balcony and it was very peaceful. The drinks are incredibly strong but you can ask them to tone down the rum a little!! It was quick and easy to get served and they did great coffee in the lobby bar. Our room was fine with a comfy bed and was fairly clean (though we did have a cockroach one day – not an indication of room cleanliness – but not really terribly welcome).

Negatives: one big one……the food. Dear God. Ok, I know this is Cuba, we made plenty of excuses but, seriously, it was not good – and I am far from picky. Be warned: a seafood paella (more like risotto or porridge) that was quite possibly one of the nastiest things I have ever eaten reappeared at breakfast, disguised as croquettes! The bread was stale, the butter had clearly been left out and was rancid. The salads were the saving grace to be honest. Maybe we just got unlucky with the couple of nights we were there but we also got ill – and never normally do. The other negative is the location, you’re stuck out, 15 min drive from the charms of Trinidad.

Would we stay again, nope…….

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the beach
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Jemtee77
Douglas, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Stayed 2 nights on March 14th & 15th 2012 all inclusive. This hotel is awfully run down. It is on a spit of land about 15 mins car ride from the inland town of Trinidad which is most enchanting, a World Heritage site that we wanted to visit as it is very photogenic. I cannot find anything to say that is good about this hotel except its location on a lovely beach, however it is isolated from the town which costs 8 pesos by Taxi ( about £5 )one way. The bathroom smelt of sewers which permeated into the bedroom. The tiles were cracked, no plugs in washbasin or bath., bidet didn't work. Coakroach scurrying across floor. No fly netting, mosquitos in room but no fly spray. The chamber maid didn't have any & the hotel doesn't sell it or have it, so I got bitten. Rooms are not ready till 4 p.m . Food in buffet is terrible with the exception of breakfast. There is an A La Carte restuarant but the food is only marginally better. Out of our party of 12 , 4 got diarrhoea. They were all 4 doctors who never ate any salad ! I think there must be hygiene issues in the food preparation/ luke warm food standing around in a buffet situation is probable cause, & dirty preparation of fruit, which we witnessed. The staff were not helpful. In summary my wife & I stayed in 5 hotels on our trip to Cuba & she was so disgusted that she is going to write a letter of compaint to the Tourist Department about the standards in this hotel,as the other hotels were fine. I don't recommend anybody to stay at Brisas.

Room Tip: Take a bathpug, fly spray, deodorizer, & medication for diarrhoea.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Chris N
Locust Valley, NY
Reviewed 22 March 2012

We went to this hotel with an InsightCuba tour and it was not great. Water pressure and temperature in our room would vary depending on the time of day. As the day wore on, it appeared there was a buildup of sewer gas that would leave our bathroom reeking by nightfall. Our traveling companions' terrace door wouldn't open. The mattresses and pillows were terrible. The breakfast buffet was fair (and typical for Cuba), and the 24-hour snack bar was nothing to rave about. When I ordered a late night burger and fries (after a lousy meal at a local paladar), the chef took a cooked burger that had been left on the counter unrefrigerated and he seemed to nuke it for 10 minutes in an old convection oven until it was a hockey puck. The fries contained more oil than potato. The beach was very nice and the pool was decent, but this hotel is not in any condition to receive an influx of world travelers. Like every other hotel or restaurant in Cuba, you have to lower your expectations because you're in a developing country. If you're looking for a luxurious and relaxing Caribbean vacation, try another hotel. For that matter, try another country.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Longislander1
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2012

We were booked in for 3 nights as part of our tour but booked for an extra night and had to pay the rack rate. It is not cheap and as my wife doesn't drink alcohol we found it hard to get our monies worth from the all inclusive rate. This is my first experience of an all inclusive hotel and found their small glasses, cheap rum, and slow bar service a very clever way of not allowing you too many free drinks. Room was fine and the laundry service excellent and cheap. The restaurant is only fair, quantity OK but choice limited. One night we went to the a La Carte restaurant which is a lot better but I think you are only allowed to go there 1 night per week. In there the drinks are not included and the prices for wine are high. The hotel grounds and the beach are excellent and there was no problem getting a lounger. If staying in Trinidad for a few nights then I would recommend here as opposed to in the city, it is only 15 minutes into the centre of the town and you can relax more here.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank segara87
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trinidad
7.2 km away
141.8 km away
Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria
Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria
#3 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria

Been to Brisas Trinidad del Mar? Share your experiences!