“Skewed Ratings From Returning Guests”

Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Holguin
Guelph, Canada
“Skewed Ratings From Returning Guests”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I’m aware that in our soundbite world, short ‘n sweet wins over detail. Honestly though, when I’m exploring a place – I appreciate the detail. So when you say “best resort ever” Please tell us what are you comparing that to. Best food in Cuba? Why? Really liked your room – what room were you in and where on the resort was it anyway? And why you can rate a resort a 5 star when in the same breath you state the bathrooms need updating? My suspicion is that this resort gets continuous support from people THAT GO HERE EVERY YEAR. There should be a TripAdvisor law that prevents the same people from reviewing the same place over and over. We met people who had been here 18 times, and another couple 11 times in the past 6 years. Really? I can see occasionally going back to a place that I liked, but holy cow I hate to break it to you, it’s a big ol’ world out there (and even much more to see in Cuba).

I will compare this resort to two other 5-star Cuban adult-only resorts we’ve been to recently – Melia Buenavista (MB) and Royal Hideaway (RH) (both in Cayo Santa Maria). The main advantage of both of these resorts is that they are newer than the ‘dated’ PRDO (and it’s more than just the bathrooms). That being said, the staff here works hard at repainting and keeping things clean. “Dated” isn’t necessarily bad either, the gardens are well established and well kept. We really appreciated how they have kept (and incorporated) the natural enviroment.

The Beaches. No contest here. The beaches at RH (especially the Enchanados beach) are incredible. The finest white sand that seems to go on forever. I would recommend bringing water shoes for PRDO, it’s rocky and not fun to go in. Even the snorkelling is overrated, saw much more at MB. The Royal Service beach is nicer but know you are not entitled to the umbrellas here (and the drinks are not as good). For those who feel the desire to take their top off (like my wife), the beaches are much smaller here which might explain the fact there is much less nudity at PRDO. Given the average age (and size) of guests at PRDO though, you might be thankful of that. The Ensenachos beach is quite private which makes people comfortable enough to bare all. I understand that Ensenachos is under new management this year and it is now a family resort. A tragedy if true.

The Rooms. We booked a Deluxe Junior Suite on the lagoon side(4931). I have nothing to compare it to but I can say the bathroom was “updated”, it was spacious and clean, the king bed was very comfortable, we made use of the hammock and the outdoor shower is a real treat (MB had these in all their rooms). These rooms are on the lagoon side and the beach side. “Beach side” sounds better, but in fact it’s more treed, and ironically less private, than the lagoon side. The Royal Service area certainly looked swanky, but most of the people who say it’s worth the extra cost, don’t usually say why.

The Food. Though the food at MB and RH was good, PRDO really shines here. The buffet is something you have to endure at most Cuban resorts, here the buffet is as good as the a la carte restauraunts. The pasta station alone was incredible. A special shout-out to Johannes whose service (and smile) was exceptional. The pizza at the poolside bar was also very good. You won’t go hungry at PRDO.

The Service is very similar to MB and RH, sometimes it’s fantastic, other times not so good. We’re in no rush, but when you have to ask for coffee three times and it finally comes cold … Most were attentive and very pleasant though. They turned it up when I fell through the white plastic grating surrounding the pool (at the spa). I needed three stitches and had many scatches on both bruised legs. If they had suggested it was my fault, the whole situation would have been ugly. It could have been written off as just an unfortunate accident, but to their credit, they took responsibility for it immediately. I'll be waiting for an email from Wendy showing me what they have done to warn people to not step directly on the grates. Later, they offered us a free massage, but we had just had them, so they took it off our bill. Spending the day at the Spa is HIGHLY recommended and the massages were excellent. I guess I could have sued them for millions, but the situation was handled well on their part – and the massages were worth a million bucks!

The Weather. So what does the weather have to do with a resort review? More than you might think. Holguin is a beautiful area, but my guess is it gets more clouds and rain than other parts of Cuba. We had friends who were in Havana on exactly the same days and they had NO rain and few clouds. We’d been going to other parts of Cuba for many years (same time of year) and hardly ever saw a cloud. Three days of our vacation were pretty much write-offs. It rained so hard overnight one night, the lagoon washed out the beach (and if you’ve seen the lagoon … you’ll know that’s not a good thing). It’s true, it could have been just bad luck for us (or we were due) but for all those people that don’t think their room is so important, you might think about what you’ll be doing when it’s raining.

The Cigars. Skip this section if cigars are not your thing, but I found it hard to get reliable information on selection and prices. Unlike other areas of Cuba, I found no big difference in prices between the resort, the government store in Guardelavaca and even the duty free at the Holguin airport. The cigars were fresher at the resort than the government store, but the selection was much better at the airport than both the resort and the store.

Other tips and tipping. You get nice new plush beach towels with your room when you arrive in your room, which you can exchange for fresh towels any day. Don’t. The ‘fresh’ towels are older and more like bath mats. Tipping is of course important, but rather than doing the easy thing and throwing pesos to bartenders that pour your cervesa, why not consider the maids sweeping the main lobby? How 'bout the musicians that are playing beautiful music while you'r having lunch or dinner? We normally bring gardening gloves to the gardeners. I brought a baseball glove that I hadn’t used in 10 years. The taxi driver I gave it to (who had two young sons who played ball) reacted like he just won the lottery when I handed it to him. The point is, the gifts – if they are conciously given – mean a lot more to those that don’t have the opportunity to buy the things with the pesos you are giving them.

This resort takes pride in their return guests (and even honour them with a special dinner). The question asked many times was “will you be back?”. Though I wouldn't rule it out, the honest answer is probably not, it’s not how we roll. Next year, a week in Havana.

Feel free to email me directly with questions.

Room Tip: Junior Suite Deluxe Room was a nice upgrade. Choose the lagoon side if you want a brighter and more...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
15 Thank CaboSanAntonio
ParadisusRioDeOro, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments and for sharing them with us on tripadvisor.

Regarding the comments on this web, I would like to inform you that not all the comments are from returning guests. In fact when a guest decide to write more than a comment about the resort it shows down the previous one so that you know when the guest did write or not before about the resort.

Nevertheless we are taking your comments with the seriousness that it requires and I promise we will work on the issues that can be solved.

I want also to apologize for the incident that happened on the pool at the spa.

I just would like to thank you again for sharing your experience with us and I wish you a nice holidays on your next trip to La Havana. I just want to tell you that Havana is really a city that is worth to visit and I am sure you won´t be disappointed.

Eduardo Perera Castro

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,188)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Somerset UK
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Had twelve nights with my wife at Paradisus. Generally not keen on all inclusive, but the quality here was fine - quite good really.

The food in the 'speciality' restaurants was very similar to the main buffet, the main advantage is the improved ambience. The restaurant in 'Royal Service' in our experience was not up to standard; we spoke to the management about this, and they dealt with our concerns very well, and refunded all costs incurred with good grace and without hesitation. The drinks are generally premium brands.

Nice beach bar and restaurant, (only open in the daytime) with great live music from an accoustic trio. - There were a lot of very good musicians playing every night in the main bar area.

The rooms, by international standards, are a little tired, but clean. We upgraded after one night to a 'bungalow' which was better.

The staff were particularly pleasant and obliging; tipping certainly helps, but do not feel intimidated into doing so.

If you want a couple of weeks in the sun, then this is for you; if you want to get out and about during your stay, then there is little to see in the immediate area.

We stayed at Melia Cayo Coco seven years ago, and this is a similar operation. In our experience, the food at Paradisus is better, but the rooms at Cayo Coco were more attractive.

Room Tip: Do not upgrade in advance via a UK tour operator. Upgrading on arrival, vor by email direct with the...
2 Thank eastertown
ParadisusRioDeOro, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review about our hotel on Trip Advisor.

I am glad that you found your experience at our hotel “quite good really” and were happy with the services provided to you by our staff.

We strive to make each guests’ experience unique and of top quality, of what is expected of a 5 star hotel. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of hosting you again at PRDO for another great holiday.

Thank you very much again for sharing your experience at Paradisus Río de Oro with us.

Kind regards,

west midlands
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Stayed at PRDO between 23rd March/6th April 2012. Travelled with Thomson. Nice plane, plenty of leg room, good service on flight. Were greeted at Holguin with a Cuban band and bucks fizz - a nice touch. We had booked taxi transfer which was quick and efficient and got us to the hotel in just under 1 hour. Our room wasn't quite ready but were given more champagne and cool cloths for our face and hands and just chilled out. Taken to our room in one of the buggys and were shown all facilities in room and told about room service.
If you are a frequent traveller to 5* hotels in places like Dubai, Mexico etc, do not expect this to be the same. This is Cuba and things are harder to achieve. The rooms are decorated in a Cuban rustic style with a hand painted mural on one wall. The beds are HUGE. Either two doubles pushed together or a king size. There is a coffee maker (get your milk from the bar or ring room service) CD player, iron, ironing board, hairdryer, and a fridge stocked with soft drinks, beer and water. This is replenished every day if needed. The bathroom has the sinks seperate to the toilet and bath area. The shower is over the bath and looks quite old but is actually great. Yes, both bathrooms and bedrooms could probably do with an update but it is not a great issue. The rooms are large and comfortable and kept spotlessly clean (thanks Odalis for your hard work).
Pool area is lovely, plenty of beds, shade and a good swim up bar. The pool is flaking abit on bottom but nothing bad - maintenance must be difficult when resort is open all year. There is also a great pool restaurant that serves, amoungst other things, great pizzas.
Beach beautiful - again plenty of shade and beds. The sunbed men will put your bed where you ask. There are rocks in places going into sea but can easily find a way round them. Lovely beach bar/restaurant and the beach toilets are very unusual!
Gardens are really pretty, the gardners work really hard and the result is amazing. Grass, flowers, fountains, wooded areas. Check out the Botanical Garden where they cultivate their own plants. So many birds and animals to see - we saw herons, vultures, hummingbirds, bullfrogs, lizards, crabs and many other things. A good nature walk is to cross the bridge over the lagoon, preferably early morning or late afternoon.
Didn't try Spa but other people said it was brilliant.
Walked up to Royal Service and there is a nice small beach and the villas look beautiful but wouldn't want to stay there as is quite isolated and many people there were coming down to
the main hotel.
We ate in the buffet, the Meditteraneo and El Patio - all were great. Lots of choice at buffet but things do sometimes run out. Cuba has trouble getting regular supplies. Also ate at beach restaurant and pool one - also lovely. We paid on the last night to eat at Royal Service and the meal was outstanding and beautifully served. Lovely treat.
Entertainment was very good, always little bands playing, singers, dancers before evening meals. Main show between 9.45 and 10.45. Lots of dancing, some ballet, classical guitar, electric guitar, water ballet, singing, and great beach party on Thursday nights.
Did the Dolphin Trip which was fabulous, beautiful friendly creatures and about 25minutes in the water with them. Lovely little ride on boat across the bay to the Dolphinarium. We also took a horse and carriage ride to Guardalavaca (20 pesos return) and a ride in an old American car (12 pesos return) to visit the craft market there.
Staff are fantastic, friendly, cheerful and extremely hard working. They will tell you about their lives and their families and you realise how extremely spoilt we have become in this country. If you can speak abit of Spanish they think it's great! We saw some people treat the staff like dirt, clicking fingers and shouting at them for no reason at all. Do not underestimate these people. Their education system is great and most of them are better qualified than us -there is just no work for them. They have an amazing health service too. I think we could learn alot from them.
Thomson rep Angel very good and answered many silly questions I went and asked him. Was around each day between 9 and 1 in the lobby bar.
In general guests at this hotel were probably aged from about 35 upwards apart from honeymooners or couples getting married. It is a quiet hotel in general so do not come if you want lots of noisy night life.
All in all we had an amazing holiday and will certainly be returning.
Finally to all the wedding couples who tied the knot in the fortnight we were there (especially Ashley and Rebecca) we wish you all the best for your futures together. To the lady who was so poorly with a stomach complaint (nothing to do with hotel) that I spoke to alot - I hope your onward journey from Manchester was not too stressful and that you are feeling alot better. And to Brenda and MIchael - we looked for you at Manchester to say goodbye but couldn't find you! Hope you got home Ok and that Michaels trees had survived the bad weather!
Thank you to all staff at Paradisus for a beautiful holiday.

22 Thank tiai23
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for writing a review about our hotel on Trip Advisor.

I am extremely happy that we were able to provide you with a wonderful experience and a great vacation at our hotel. This is our mission and duty and when we have a satisfied guest, such as yourself, we feel that we have accomplished our greatest task.

I do hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again to our resort, and please do not hesitate to contact us prior to your arrival for any special requests that you may have.

Whitby, Canada
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We had an outstanding time at the PRDO during the week of March 17-24, 2012. It was our second visit there and a last minute choice because a previous booking for the Iberostar Ensenachos was cancelled due to complications. It must have been kharma because a spot became available on the Thursday before a Saturday departure with SunWing at very good price. Upon arrival we made upgrades. We had 5 days in a deluxe room and 2 days in the Royal Service section. It was like.having two different 5-star vacations! Both had outdoor showers. What a great idea those are!

It was obvious that we were dealing with a first class organization when we received prompt responses to our e-mails from Yunaiki, one of their customer service people. This professionalism was evident throughout our stay.

I'll briefly repeat what has already been written but from our perspective. We consistently had the best service that we could hope for. We tipped for this reason. No pressure to do so. The food was excellent. It didn't matter whether it was breakfast, lunch or dinner; there was choice, quality and minimal waiting. They are really organized. We enjoyed the beach, restaurants, sailing, snorkelling and the lobby bar at night at the main area. The infinity pool, spa and view were awesome at Royal Service. Staff and other visitors were very respectful and pleasant to us. Good Chilean house wines, premium liquor and beer selection as well. Nice little cigar shop with a better selection than I've seen at other Cuban 4 and 5* resorts. The lobby bar was a nice place to spend a few hours in the evening. The entertainment was good. Sitting and chatting while having spanish coffees, rum, beer or other well made drinks was always enjoyable.

Our stay was relaxing but never boring. We always had fun together enjoying the many amenities that the resort had to offer.

The staff seem more empowered here when compared to other resorts (Cuba and other Caribbean countries) that we've visited. They made quick decisions (e.g. booking changes, room service selection, menu changes, etc.) that gave us the impression that the resort staff wanted us to be satisfied. This is a very good reflection on management. They definitely know that they are Number 1 on TripAdvisor and are proud of it.

It was very easy for us to communicate with any of the workers from the front desk to the gardeners, bartenders, Hobie Cat sailors, waitresses and other staff. Many that we spoke to had worked at the PRDO for many years.

The water was little rough for snorkelling on some days. There was an odor from the toilets in both sections (before using them lol). These are the worst things that I can come up with.

This is definitely an excellent choice for a couples vacation or a destination wedding location. They have customer service figured out. We highly recommend the resort and will go back someday soon.

One last comment to summarize. The catchphrase that we've borrowed from Jorge who does a great job serving on the beach is "Enjoy your drink... please. Thank you friend.". We're already begun using it playfully to each other to remind us of the fun we had. We'll be using around our own pool this summer as well!

8 Thank Mr_Shawa
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your very nice and positive review about our hotel.

It definitely turned out well that you did end up having your vacation at PRDO. I am very happy to hear that you “consistently had the best service that you had hoped for.” This is a definite indicator of the fact that we do make every effort for our guests to be as satisfied about their holidays as possible and our goals have been reached.

We are always trying to improve not only our services but also our service and do hope that when you do decide to pay us another visit, you will find everything up to par with your expectations.

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I have rated the hotel as terrible for one reason only. We arranged the holiday from the uk, and booked in for a 7 day stay at the normal part of the hotel...we lasted one night.

We were shown to our room, as we walked in there was broken glass all by the front door of the room, the bathroom was covered in ants, the shower was filthy, and there was a horrible musty smell in the room. We immediately went back to reception to complain, and after much persuasion we were moved to another room. In fairmess, the second room was ok, quite a decent size, but certainly nowhere near the 5star which it purports to be.

on or first morning we went to the pool, got our loungers, but had to meet the rep at 09.15. We left all our stuff by the pool, but to our shock all our stuff had been taken by the pool manager. When we tried to sort this out, we were told that we were not allowed to reserve our seats. This in my opinion was disgraceful!!!

We had enough of the hotel at this point, it felt like we were staying in a 3 star hotel, full of people who were hell bent on drinking their body weights full of alcohol at the pool bar. We then tried on several occassions ot upgrade to the Royal Service. Whether it was something about the wa we looked, or our age, but we were being fobbed off by the most unhelpful reception staff who gave us every reason under the sun why we couldnt upgrade, but persistence paid off, and at 4pm on our second day we got upgraded, and was it worth it!!

From the moment we arrived at RS to the moment we left it was simply outstanding, the rooms were large, clean, and 5 star, the staff were fantastic, always happy to help, always smiling and very good at what they did, and the pool bar tender Wilmer was outstanding, I cannot praise his work rate, his service or his politness enough, he was simply brilliant, and deserves either a promotion or a significant pay rise!!!

To conclude, had we stayed in the normal part of the hotel, or week away would have been ruined, it was no where near 5 star quality, and we would have left Cuba vowing never to return.

However, we will go back to the RS, as it is 5 star, and is worth the money. If you want 5 star luxury please upgrade, if your happy with an average 3 star hotel with decent food, stay at the normal part, i will never return to that part of the hotel.

I know it this review goes against what many people say, however, we have stayed in many 5 star hotels around the world, we pay good money for good hotels, however, comparing the normal hotel to others 5 star hotels over the world is the reason why i would class the the normal hotel as a 3 star, and not a 5 star hotel.

If you want value for money, and a damn good holiday, please please please stay at the Royal Service and not the normal part!!!!!!

Room Tip: Royal Service is a must
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
25 Thank ggj90
paradisusri0de0r0, Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 13 May 2016
Old review, thank you.
Laval, Québec
Reviewed 8 April 2012

If you have heard that the food is not good in Cuba, it's completely false at the Paradisus Rio de Oro. The food is EXCELLENT everywhere (À la carte restaurants, grills and Buffet) in this hotel. We where surprise, because we went to others hotels in Cuba and the food was not good. The quality of the food is at the same level as Mexico and Dominican Republic (maybe better), but the staff is much nicer.
The staff is very friendly and attentive. Special Thanks to David and Misladys, servers at the buffet, always smiling and cheerful.
We took the regular junior suite. We asked for a balcony but we got a ground floor. The rooms are a little tired and in need of refurbishment to contemporary taste. Our room had a slight musty smell, but the site of the hotel is beautiful and heavenly.
The site had just the right size. We didn't have to walk far to go from the room to the lobby, restaurants, beach and pool. Everything is close and convenient.
At the beach and the pool, there are always chairs available (we went during the first week of april). There's even an attendant at the beach to tell you if there is a palapas available and to give you chairs if needed.
Two drawbacks to the beach: there are many rocks in the water near the beach (we can easily hurt our feet), but it is an ideal place for snorkeling, and there is no grill where you can eat right on the beach.
The service is fast and very professionnal everywhere in the hotel.
It's a quite resort (adult only), but there are some activities. Just enough and not too much.
I recommend the beach party on Thursday evening. Really fun!
Finally, I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone and I really had a great time!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Trionyx
ParadisusRioDeOro, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting your comments on Trip Advisor about our hotel.

I am very happy that you enjoyed everything in the hotel, especially the food and service. We try to make each guest’s stay at our hotel unique and memorable and I am glad that we were able to achieve this with you. It would be a great pleasure to host you once again at our resort.

Elgin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I'll start by saying this is a bit overdue. My girlfriend and I stayed here is Sept 2011 for 2 weeks. We stayed in a junior suite (we didn't feel the need to upgrade to Royal Service) and had a fantastic time.

Whether you want to relax, chat or have fun there is something for you. This hotel caters mainly for those people that want to relax. Its not a lively place by any means, but strikes a balance between activity and peacefulness. For example, I played volleyball in the pool most days sometime twice a day when we were around, my girlfriend chiilled out with a book.

We kept ourselves busy and went on some nice exursions, I would reccommend the Green and Blue 4x4 trip, it gets you off the beaten track, and to some places you wouldn't normally go as a tourist. We also did the dolphin cruise. If you've never done its sounds cliche but it is something you should do. The trip to Santigaio de Cuba was nice, but unless you have a burning desire to go, it can be missed.

This hotel offers everything. After a try dive in the pool we went scuba diving a few times at a near by hotel, all for free. I've never been in fact I'm not a great swimming fan, but it was something else. All the food was free and great, the buffet did get repitive sometime but it was certainly fresh. WHen we messed up on a table booking they fitted us straight back in. The staff were great and also said hello.

Overall this is the place to go if you want to relax, if you want a decent club this is not the place to be, this place has a quiet class to it, right down to the piano player that plays before dinner.

Would reccomend

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Tidge58
Dear Guest,

I am very happy that you were able to have a wonderful vacation at Paradisus Rio de Oro and that you were able to relax and enjoy the many amenities that the hotel offers to our guests.

Thank you very much for taking your time to write a review, as the opinions of our guests are very important to us and we take each opinion very seriously.

I do hope that you will decide to spend another vacation here with us and we will be very glad to offer you another memorable stay.

Eduardo Perera Castro
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holguin
370.1 km away
Melia Buenavista
Melia Buenavista
#2 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,528 reviews

Been to Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!