US$125
US$100
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
Casa Maria de Los Angeles(Holguin)(Great Value!)
US$30
Villa La Roca(Holguin)
US$40
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed December 16, 2016

Nothing worked the way it is supposed to except for the elevators and the front desk staff. Some lights in the room did not work, internet was sketchy if at all, showers had broken nozzles, and worst of all the staff in the restaurants and bars were very poor at their jobs. I wanted a glass of wine and one bar (by the pool) had no red wine and the other upstairs was closed while the bartender talked on the phone. I had to buy a bottle in the restaurant which they opened for me. I took it to my room and discovered it had turned to vinegar. The next morning I took it down to the restaurant with all but the small sip I had taken. The same person who sold me the vine told me they couldn't take it back because it was open. I asked her if she remembered opening it for me the night before. She said yes but she could not take it back because it was open so i asked her how could I know it was bad without opening it? She said there was nothing she could do and I replied that I was a tour leader (true) and there was no way I would ever bring a group back to her hotel. She went and got me my 10 cuc refund. I had given her a 3 cuc tip the night before. Wild horses won't get me back to that hotel. The first room they tried to put me in was small dark and smelled horribly of mold.

Room Tip: Go look at the rooms first before trying to move all of your bags into the room.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled on business
2  Thank Kip B
Reviewed December 9, 2016

Not only is the Hotel not well cared for, the rooms are dirty and musty with black mold on the walls. We were there with a group of 27 people and occupied about 15 rooms. A number of us had to change rooms because of the mold but they all were bad.
After the first day there we came back to our room and not only was the closet floor wet and everything on the floor wet, we discovered that someone had stolen our cell phone that was at the bedside being used as a clock (there are no room clocks). The maid had only put 2 \bars of soap in the bathroom and left the light on but nothing else was cleaned or done in the room. WHen we reported it to the front desk, they were totally not helpful and would not assist us in trying to find who took it. We spent 5 hours making a police report - which was a giant waste of time. Took us 2 days to finally be able to contact our phone provider and were able to give the Hotel the 12 phone numbers that were called on it - but they would not do anything about it.
We moved to a different section of the hotel but it was just as moldy! They have a huge "hot" breakfast buffet that is the same thing every morning (7 days we were there) but it was cold food when it was brought out. We never saw hot scrambled eggs or anything for that matter.
I strongly do not recommend this Hotel -

Room Tip: I strongly do not recommend this Hotel - but ground floor or any remodeled room more desireable
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business
2  Thank Tristram Robert S
Reviewed September 25, 2016

We arrived late evening on the 20th September after spending 2 weeks in different casas and hotels in Holguin, Trinidad and Santiago so only stayed one night as it was near the airport where we were due to leave the following day. When we arrived they did not have our booking which is excusable as we booked online the day before. After a phone call and discussions with the manager we were told all is well and signed and given our key.There was no one available to help with our luggage which was not a problem. There was something about the design of the hotel that was not attractive...there appeared to be too many dark break out areas. Our room was on the 3rd floor (321) and was near the lifts and another break out area with 2 or 3 armchairs where guests congregated and ate and talked loudly. The corridor reminded me of a 70's council estate in London. The room contained 3 beds, 2 together of which the headboard was made for a single bed so it sat awkwardly in the middle. It looked strange. There was no 220 volt socket in the room (usually most hotels and casas have one 220 volt socket in the room. The lady at reception when asked said they have one in the office we can use....as it was for my shaver I did not think it was appropriate. The shower room appeared decent although I noticed some small ants emerge from where the sink meets the wall. There was also a small leak in our shower room coming from behind the toilet somewhere which had spread in the morning. As we were there one night I did not bother complain. It took me a while to work out how to lock the bedroom door as you had to lock it from the inside when going out which was not explained. The TV worked well as did the air con which was situated low beneath the window. The two arm chairs in the room were both dirty with one heavily soiled on the seat and the other slightly on the back rest. That night feeling a little peckish we were shown a bar where we could order food. However, after choosing Burger and fries from the menu we were told we could not have that and can only have cheese or ham sandwich ..the time was after 11.pm.....when asked with tomatoes we were told no just cheese and ham. We ordered 2 mojitos but was told no mojitos so we settled for 2 crystal beers which were reasonably priced at 1.25 cuc. This particular bar was near the swimming pool but it was very dark and lifeless. There was 2 or 3 cats strolling around which is common in Cuban hotels but these cats were making themselves comfortable on the chairs which was not common. Breakfast we were told was served between 7 and 9.30am which we thought was rather short. At breakfast coffee which is usually the best in Cuba was not as flavoursome as we had experienced elsewhere. Fruit juice was excessively watered down orange and lemon unlike elsewhere. The salad and the fruit displayed were full of flies so I settled for an omelette and bread as I could not trust what was just sitting there. Internet cards were not available at reception when asked and we were told they would be there in the morning but in the morning there were none. What was striking was that no one seemed to care....at the bar or breakfast or at reception. It was a case of that is the way it is. As we entered this hotel it was clear that one night was enough and whilst I did not scout the entire area what I saw I did not really like. But it was ideally situated about 20 minutes from the airport with a taxi ride costing us 15 cuc's which was not too bad as the airport was around 15km away even though the taxi said it was 20 km to justify the cost.

Room Tip: The view from our room was of the garden area with palm trees which was tranquil
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2016

I booked a single room B&B via the Islazul website for 2 days; the room, was adequate, and the breakfast reasonable for about £25 per night. I decided to extend my stay by a further 2 nights, and the Islazul website, accessed from the hotel's new 3 computer terminals, offered the same price. However, the website would not accept my payment via credit card. I went to the reception and explained this; the receptionist refused to honour the website price, and charged me more than double that rate for the 2 nights B&B required. I shall be taking up this matter with the hotel on my return to the UK.

If you can obtain the Islazul website price the Pernik is adequate, no more. There is a large pool, access to which costs CUC10 including a drink; this cannot be paid using the credit card machine, which was working. The Pernik needs to buck its ideas up if it is to satisfy the growing number of tourists in Holguin.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed September 11, 2016

If you have no other choice and stay only for one night, no further reading is required. However, if you are a hardcore individual traveler to Cuba and intend to stay longer in the hotel please note:

Reception:
--------------
When you enter the hotel you have to carry your luggage over a staircase up to the receptiondesk. There is hardly no one who feels himself responsible to help you with a heavy suitcase. You are welcomed by a group of security personnel, some of them grim looking. The staff at the reception desk is mostly friendly and try to help, but are depending on their boss, who was not very helpful.

Rooms:
---------
Many of the rooms are in poor condition. The first night they gave us a room with rotten curtains, AC hardly working, the hanger of the towels fell from the wall at first touch, the shower required all my technical expertise to get to work. When we complained we got another room which at first look seemed to be better. However, I did not notice until it was too late that one of the beds had been moved aside.Later on I became aware why: From several locations of the ceiling there was water
dropping on the floor. Another complaint got us in a room that was near the pool side, which is another story. There are better rooms in the hotel, but not for everyone.

Restaurants:
----------------
The main restaurant „Sofia“ offers breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets. Since breakfast was included in the room rate we tried breakfast the first morning. The food is of poor quality (juice is mainly water, the milk for the cereal is from milk powder, coffee is luke warm, there is no bacon only some fatty sausages etc.). The whole place was infested by nasty flies. Breakfast should be served until 9:30 a.m. However, the service personnel started cleaning up the place at 9:15 a.m.
The rest of our stay we skipped breakfast. We tried also the dinner, More or less the same result. Food of poor quality and overpriced. We decided to eat in the center of the town.
There is another restaurant in the basement of the hotel, the „Varna“. The food „a la carte“ is a little better, however the small card has never changed since 4 years, and always something from the card is not available.

Pool:
------
Most of the time the water in the pool was clean, with exception of a few days when it has a suspiciously greenish looking color. However I got out of the water without any blisters or alike. Another question is the music they play at the pool side the whole day (pop music, mostly produced using synthesizers) with overwhelming volume that you hardly understand your own word. Even for many Cubans it was too much. On weekends or during the Cuban holiday season the pool area is crowded by locals, enjoying some cheap offer the hotel is providing.

Internet
----------
There is no WiFi in the rooms. Officially you should use the WiFi in the lobby. However, I could not manage to connect my laptop computer to this connection. If appears that it works only when you are a subscriber to ¨nauta¨, the local provider.
There are also 3 desktop computers in the lobby for internet connection. One of them never worked. When I checked I discovered that a cable was missing. Nobody cared. The second computer suffered from regular breakdowns which I could handle. Only the third computer worked, sometimes causing queues of prospective users.

Summary:
-------------
As a summary I may say that the hotel seems not to be a place to spend more than one night of your precious vacation. It rather looks like a business hotel for Cubans and for groups of tourists coming from the airport to move on to some of the all-inclusive-hotels at the coast the next day

Room Tip: Choose a room in the third of fifth floor, off from the pool side.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank maertlhg