“I love the pool and scenery!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Villa Islazur Mirador de Mayabe

Villa Islazur Mirador de Mayabe
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Holguin
Canada
“I love the pool and scenery!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2011

I never stayed at this hotel overnight but during my stay in Holguin I visited this place several times with my cuban friends. The pool is clean, spacious, and overall pretty nice. The best part of this hotel is it's location. It is located on a top of a hill, in the countryside of Holguin overlooking a lush tropical forest. It has some beautiful views from where the pool is. There is a resturant/bar close to the pool where you can order drinks, ice cream, and some food like ham and chesse sandwiches, chicken, beef, french fries, and that's about it hehe. Overall, this is my favourite pool in Holguin! You can take a taxis, cabello (the horse and buggy will take you to the end of the hill, you have to walk up it), or take a private car. My recommendation is a taxis from the centre of Holguin which will cost you about 4 CUC.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank meencantaCUBA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Eleuthera
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2011

Arrived at the hotel 'round midnight after a late flight from Montreal. My first impression was, "is anybody home?". A darkly lit reception handled my reservation and I was swiftly escorted to my digs. I did pass a couple of cabins with some racket emanating from them but for the most part, it was near ghost-townish-like.
The room was a typical 2 star Izlazul room. Good enough, but nothing to brag about. A good nights sleep was had after a busy travel day with delays.
After waking up, I had a chance to scout around the premises to see what it had to offer. A fair sized grounds with some paths that led to a small farm/zoo and some lookout spots towards the city of Holguin. I saw no sign of any drunk donkey or even any drunk guests for that matter. Too early for that I guess. I was impressed with the large pool and some locals and tourists eventually livened up the pool area for some swim and sun.
I would guess that it was approximately 20 minutes to the airport and about the same to Holguin city center. It would definitely be more convenient to have your own transportation while staying here as taxis can be hard to find here at many certain times. A large outdoor patio restaurant is on site with decent chow to fill up on while enjoying the view.
A good enough place for those who enjoy a quiet spot not too far from a major Cuban city.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
      Cleanliness
6 Thank CubanWaters
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2010

We stayed at the Hotel Mirador de Mirabe on the outskirts of the city of Holguin, on top of a hill, with sweeping views over the valley below. 24 air-conditioned rooms and swimming pool. Again a strange Cuban hotel, but tobe fair we only stayed one night and there was bad weather around

Its main selling point appears to be a donkey that gets drunk on beer fed to it by guests - I understand they are now on their 4th donkey with the same name. Happily we did not meet the donkey - he may be in between incarnations at the moment. The hotel has wonderful views over the valley below, and a big swimming pool

The bedroom was "drab" and one of those "modern" buildings that the Cubans have put up (badly) 20 years ago, and to be fair was maintained, but not what you would describe as somewhere to relax in... The rooms do not look out over the view, instead facing the jungle, which was inches from our window.

Dinner was passable - we were the only people eating. By breakfast a few more guests seem to have arrived, but the staff kept the blinds down and we were not able to enjoy the view.

My verdict is that it was fine for a one night transit stop (avoided going into the town and was easy to find) but I would not have like to have spent any longer there. Unlike many hotels we stayed at in Cuba, it lacked "charm"

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank moraira
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holguin
64.9 km away
Hotel Playa Pesquero
Hotel Playa Pesquero
#1 of 4 in Rafael Freyre
4.5 of 5 bubbles 7,374 reviews

Been to Villa Islazur Mirador de Mayabe? Share your experiences!