“Beautiful park”

Maquoketa Caves State Park
Ranked #15 of 1,075 things to do in Iowa
Reviewed October 25, 2017 via mobile

We went for a quick day trip to hike and had a great time. We were able to go into some of the caves that were more accessible since we had our two young kids in tow. We can't wait to go back without our kids to really explore some of the caves further.

All reviews
"couple hours"
"family outing"
"bring water"

Reviewed October 7, 2017 via mobile

This is my all time favorite place to go caving. Tours are usually self guided unless you arrange for a guided tour. The camp sites are cozy with nice restrooms. There are so many different caves, a Ridgeline trail and a prairie trail. It is one of my favorite places in Eastern Iowa.

1  Thank Rebekah M
Reviewed October 4, 2017

I have been wanting to go to this park for awhile and was finally able to and was not disappointed. It's a beautiful park and the caves are so much fun. There were a lot of people there. This was so much fun and next time I will take my son, the kids there seemed to love it!

1  Thank Jacey S
Reviewed October 1, 2017 via mobile

Very beautiful, very popular, very busy state park. Parking fills up fast on weekends. Lots to see and do. Hiking, bird watching or climbing through caves are popular activities. Wear comfortable, sturdy, waterproof shoes. Bring water and a flashlight. Excellent family activity.

1  Thank john l
See more reviews
Reviewed September 15, 2017

My son and I took a road trip to see the 2017 Eclipse and along the way spent a great couple of hours here on a Saturday morning. The park was easy to find, has great signage both at the parking and on the trails, and was the perfect beginner spelunking experience for him. Early is better...as we left around 11a the parking lot was overflowing with families and groups.