Maquoketa Caves State Park
Open today: 4:00 a.m. - 10:30 p.m.
Review Highlights
Good fun exercise

We were camping up the road and figured we'd check out the caves. We weren't disappointed. There... read more

Reviewed September 10, 2018
Fam_Tvler
Clive, Iowa
via mobile
perfect family time

This is a great place for a family with children about 6 to 16. However it is great for all ages... read more

Reviewed August 27, 2018
james c
Vadnais Heights, Minnesota

Recommended experiences in and around Iowa
from US$20.00
from US$80.00
from US$50.00
More Info
All reviews day trip bring water road trip bluff lake catfish farm flashlight shoes hiking camping hike nature picnic forest exercise signage beginners state
Reviewed October 7, 2017 via mobile

This is my all time favorite place to go caving. Tours are usually self guided unless you arrange for a guided tour. The camp sites are cozy with nice restrooms. There are so many different caves, a Ridgeline trail and a prairie trail. It is one of my favorite places in Eastern Iowa.

Date of experience: June 2017
1  Thank rebekahm673
Reviewed October 4, 2017

I have been wanting to go to this park for awhile and was finally able to and was not disappointed. It's a beautiful park and the caves are so much fun. There were a lot of people there. This was so much fun and next time I will take my son, the kids there seemed to love it!

Date of experience: September 2017
1  Thank Jacey S
Reviewed October 1, 2017 via mobile

Very beautiful, very popular, very busy state park. Parking fills up fast on weekends. Lots to see and do. Hiking, bird watching or climbing through caves are popular activities. Wear comfortable, sturdy, waterproof shoes. Bring water and a flashlight. Excellent family activity.

Date of experience: September 2017
1  Thank 478johnl478
Reviewed September 15, 2017

My son and I took a road trip to see the 2017 Eclipse and along the way spent a great couple of hours here on a Saturday morning. The park was easy to find, has great signage both at the parking and on the trails, and was the perfect beginner spelunking experience for him. Early is better...as we left around 11a the parking lot was overflowing with families and groups.

Date of experience: August 2017
Reviewed September 6, 2017 via mobile

Can't believe you can just explore these caves on your own! We arrived a couple hours before the park closed for the day so we felt like we had the place to ourselves. there were a couple small groups bit there are several caves so people were spread out. I imagine that if you want on a Saturday at 11 the place would be very crowded. anrong flashlights and wear old clothes and shoes that are good for water. There is also some hiking. We had a great time. Would definitely go back.

Date of experience: July 2017