“Great Seafood”

Whaley's Raw Bar and Seafood Hall
Reserve with OpenTable
Whaley's Raw Bar and Seafood Hall is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #576 of 3,662 Restaurants in Washington DC
Reviewed August 11, 2017 via mobile

My wife and I absolutely loved Whaley's while on our trip to DC for our Anniversary. Our waiter Billy was one of the best we've ever had! He guided us in choosing the perfect meal!

1  Thank Brandt S

Reviewed August 10, 2017

Fresh (sea)food, beautifully presented by knowledgeable and friendly servers -- everything you want in a restaurant. This is a small space, and it was very busy, but we never felt neglected or rushed. Go on a night when the Nats are not playing, and you will have a lovely experience (and be able to find parking!). Highly recommend the scallop crudo, the squash blossom, the soft shell crab; go with a group so that you can share the risotto and the whole fish.

Reviewed August 8, 2017

I have been here twice, a year ago, and this week (August 2017). I went back with high expectations of the food based on the first time, and they surpassed them. The second trip was better as it was less crowded because the Washington Nationals were on the road that day. The first time I went it was a concert day at the Nats Stadium and the place was mobbed. Service was better when less crowded, for obvious reasons, it was about 60% full, not that it was bad the first time, it was just a more personal experience the second time. In regards to the food, i got the same item both trips, the Seafood Tower for two. I love seafood, no allergies, and love both raw and cooked, so there is nothing i won't eat on this platter. The platter has raw oysters (3 types), raw clams, poached muscles, shrimp, calamari steamed in a marinara, a catfish salad with flatbread, there was a sea bass (kinda like ceviche) with marinated bits of cauliflower, and 3 sauces. My friend and i devoured it. I also got a divine cocktail (Fresno Chili Infused Vodka & Lime Gimlet), it was a nice refreshing drink, you get the tart of the lime, then the medium spice of the vodka took the tart away, it was delicious! It's not cheap, but the quality is superb, you get what you pay for!

Reviewed July 28, 2017 via mobile

If you don't mind lollygagging, the river view will make you want to linger all afternoon, and the outside patio is perfect for people watching. Our beverages were very good, service was super friendly and apologetic, and the food was very good. However, if you have to apologize for the slow service, then you *know* you need to fix it. I would not want to eat here on a super busy day because the frustration would make me not want to come back. In their defense, 'this restaurant is tiny and everyone was working very hard. I thought the soft shell crab was overrated, but everything else was delicious. I want to go back to try their corn chowder with a crab cake.

Reviewed July 20, 2017

We stopped at Whaley's on the way to Nationals baseball stadium, it is only a short walk from the park. They offer happy hour every day from 5-7 (they open at 5), and they only have a few food choices on the happy hour menu, one of them being $1 raw oysters. Other options were Old Bay Chips $5, Catfish Rilette $9, hushpuppies $6, and chicken fried catfish for $10. They offered 4 nice wine selections for $7-8 and draft beers were $5. Happy hour is at the bar only and by the time we left for the game, all the seats were taken. The restaurant is small and the bar is the centerpiece of the restaurant, although they also have patio dining available. I wish I could remember the bartender's name. He was extremely pleasant and efficient and makes a mean happy hour old fashioned for $8 btw.

Prices on the regular menu are pricey, as is typical for seafood restaurants in the DC area. I did try a small plate of tempura fried squash blossoms stuffed with shrimp for $15. They were very interesting and good enough, but not a huge amount of flavor.

2  Thank Cathy H