“Cannot recommend biking to Mt. Vernon”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Bike and Roll DC

Bike and Roll DC
Book In Advance
More Info
US$40.00*
and up
Washington DC Monuments Bike Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Bike tours & rentals and SEGWAY tours! We offer the best value for sightseeing. Take a professionally led tour and let our fun and knowledgeable guides share historical and unique facts about the monuments and memorials on the National Mall OR rent a bike and explore the Capital City on your own-we have options to fit the whole the whole family. Free with every rental: helmet, lock, and map. Bike and Roll offers day and evening bike and Segway tours from mid March-mid December. Don't take our word for it - check out what travelers are saying about us in our reviews!
Useful Information: Baby buggy parking, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Cannot recommend biking to Mt. Vernon”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2011

My family thought this we be a nice way to spend a day of our D.C. vacation. We are all avid bikers and wanted to spend some time outside but were very disappointed with the ride.
I would first like to say that the staff at bike and roll was great, very helpful and nice, my negative review is about the specific "Bike to Mt. Vernon" trip. If you are considering this maybe you read at the bikewashington.org website where it describes the trail as "...fairly flat with an occasional rolling hill..."
Ha.
The bottom line is the trail is essentially nothing but hills next to a busy highway! Now, I bike long touring trips every year and my wife bikes to work every day...we are not afraid of hills, the problem is it's not quiet and relaxing (next to busy 4 lane highway) and more importantly, it really doesn't make any sense to BIKE to Mt. Vernon, a place where you want to spend hours and do nothing but walk around. We found that we would have MUCH rather had the 2hrs spent biking there and back to spend at Mt. Vernon. Just when you're tired out from walking around Mt. Vernon and want to go home to your hotel, you have to ride a bike through 10 miles of hills to return it, then get on a bus to take you back to the Alexandria Metro, then get on the Metro to take you back to D.C., then walk back to your hotel. You get the picture...it sounded romantic but was anything but. On top of that you add the expense of the renting the bikes and it was a big waste of time and money from our point of view.

The only positive was that it we got to see Alexandria which was charming and quaint.

As far as Bike and Roll goes, again, very helpful and nice, but stick with the "bike the sites" tour, that looked like a lot of fun. If we ever go back we plan to do this.

Visited April 2011
16 Thank drumsdrums

Yorkshire
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great way to see the sights”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2011

Very friendly staff and bikes in very good condition. Informative tour but if you do the evening one in October, wear warm clothes and gloves.

Visited October 2011
Melbourne, Australia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Highlight of my trip! the best way to see Washington”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

I went on one of the coldest wettest days of the year to see Washington.... and it was FUN!!!!

My tour guide Karl was excellent - he provided great stories about how the city was formed, details on the monuments, insider tips, and had a great positive attitude.

When I cam back home I found myself re-telling the stories to my friends and family.

I learned a lot and saw a lot - more than you would expect in 3 hours.

I also recommend the bike tour over walking as you can see a lot more in a short amount of time.

A great one for easy-riders and kids - it's flat and there are pretty much all bike paths.

I recommend this tour company = great value and a great time!

Enjoy.

Visited November 2011
2 Thank L B
Reykjavik
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun and educational”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

Me and my colleaques in the travel business ordered a bike tour in Washington in September and really enjoyed the tour, the tour guide Jas (I hope I spell it correctly)knew what he was doing and added some interesting information on his own and I can recommend this tour. Next I´m goingt to buy the tour to Alexandria. The service was good, all equipment in order and they stick to security.

Visited September 2011
Armidale
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great way to see DC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

We hired two cruisers to view the sights of Washington. It was cheap and fun. We rode over to Arlington Cemetery and there was a spot to leave the bikes. A lock and helmet came included with the bikes. Washington is very flat and easy to bike around. We hired them for 2 hours but could have had longer.

Visited November 2011