“Chicken and Waffles oh my! Phenomenal breakfast!!”
Review of Founding Farmers

Founding Farmers
Reserve with OpenTable
Founding Farmers is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #85 of 3,536 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$15 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End
Cross street: 20th St. / Pennsylvania Ave. (Foggy Bottom)
Transit: There are two Metro stops within 3 blocks of the restaurant, Orange/Blue lines at Farragut West or Foggy Bottom/GWU. The red DC Circulator bus Georgetown/Union Station line stops on Pennsylvania Ave. at 21st street, as well as on K Street and on 19th, all just one block away.
Description: Founding Farmers, the Greenest Restaurant in DC, is owned by the more than 40,000 family farmers of the NDFU, serving American inspired real food and drink with an emphasis and focus on cooking from scratch. While our restaurant is supplied by hundreds of family farms everywhere, that doesn't mean we know every farm, and that doesn't mean we never have to buy product from the traditional (corporate) supply chain, but it does mean we're working hard to direct our purchasing dollars where it aligns with our values. We're serving the best food we can, made from scratch in our kitchens every day. Our innovative, American dishes are made primarily with pure ingredients honoring the farmers and their hard-earned bounty.
Reviewed September 21, 2017 via mobile

We heard Uncle Buck's Beignets were amazing, so three of us shared them as an appetizer before breakfast. The recommendation was correct! They were indeed amazing! We loved the option to dip them into three different sauces, carmel, chocolate, and strawberry. My husband saved one beignet and some chocolate for dessert too. As for breakfast, our friend enjoyed the Sausage, Mushroom, and Spinach Pan Scramble. He said it was VERY good! My husband ate the Hangover Hash, recommended by our waiter. He loved it!! I tried one of the Farmhouse Favorite's, Breakfast Chicken and Waffles. It was to die for!! The waiter said it was a top seller and I can see why! The friend chicken had incredible flavor to it and paired perfectly over the waffle and eggs over medium. All 3 of us give the Founding Farmer's a big thumbs up and 5 out of 5 stars. Excellent service and excellent environment too!

I'd also recommend making a reservation as this place packs up quickly!

Julie S, Guest Relations Manager at Founding Farmers, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2017

Hi there,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I am so happy to hear that you had a wonderful breakfast with us, we are so proud of our breakfast menu!

We hope to see you again soon.

Cheers,
Julie

Write a ReviewReviews (6,486)

Reviewed September 21, 2017

We ate lunch here. Food was acceptable but not memorable. Spicy crab corn dip was bland to me, as was the butternut squash Mascarpone ravioli. Squash varies, so that could have been the reason. The goat cheese burger was big but not exceptional.The place was packed (weekday lunch) and noisy. Great servers working as a team. I didn't think it was worth the price.

Hi There,

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your feedback. It is our goal to knock your socks off with every dish, and I’m so sorry that we failed to do so. We read each review and use them to make improvements. We want to make changes so that everything you try ‘wows’ you! Unoriginal and uninspired is not how we want to be described and I am so sorry you felt that way. We don't want to feel like a chain restaurant, we want to feel like a home! I would love to continue the conversation and work to win you back. I can be reached at Julie@farmersrestaurantgroup.com.

I hope that you give us another chance in the future! I know we have the ability to provide you with delicious, perfectly prepared food and I hope we get a chance to prove it to you.

Reviewed September 20, 2017

My wife and I along with our two teenaged sons (17 & 14) ate here after our early morning White House Tour. All of our selections were delicious, especially the specialty eggs benedict offerings. Would certainly recommend and eat here again in the future.

Hi there,

We hope to see you again soon.

Cheers,

Reviewed September 20, 2017

We went on a Sunday evening and we were told to make reservations. It was crowded. The food is good...comfort food. I enjoyed the goat cheese and apple appetizer. But the best was the Chicken Pot Pie. To die for!!!! The service was excellent.

Hey There,

I’m thrilled to read how much you appreciated the delicious food during your recent trip to Founding Farmers! It is our goal to ‘wow’ you with every bite of every dish and I’m glad that based on your review we can say mission accomplished.

It was really our pleasure to have you and we can't wait to have you back.

Warmly,

Reviewed September 20, 2017 via mobile

The place was crowded but with reservations we didn't have a wait. We had tried the day before but the wait was over an hour. Downstairs by the bar is a little loud but we were seated upstairs and quieter. Food portions were good and variety was good as we had picky people in out party. Prices were normal and experienced no problems there and most importantly would go back.

Hi There Ray,

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your feedback. Delicious, fresh, quality food is exactly what we strive to provide you with and I'm glad we can say mission accomplished!

I am sorry about the wait time, and we really appreciate your patience. In the future, please feel free to make a reservation on our website. This just makes the check in process a tad easier.

We can't wait to have you back to sample more off of our menu :)

Warmly,