“Great location, attentive, friendly staff, clean”
Review of W Washington D.C.

W Washington D.C.
Ranked #58 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Rooms are deco & fun--great use of space, light. We were lucky to have an early check-in 10 am & a late check-out 1:30 pm so very accomodating to our needs. Quiet--roof top deck always a treat & closeup view of the White House.
The staff was helpful & smiling!

Room Tip: We were on the 9th floor, quiet & nice view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,340)

Reviewed 24 April 2012

My husband and I used Starwood award points to book a stay at the W Hotel for a weekend we were visiting DC for a friend's wedding. We are in DC frequently and typically stay at the Fairfax Embassy Row at 24th and Massachusetts. I wish we had done so this time instead of wasting 60,000 award points on a sub-par experience.

I will say that the hotel is beautiful - they did a great job with the renovation from the old Hotel Washington - and it is in a very central location if you are in town to sightsee. However, I think we got the crappiest room in the entire hotel (room 931). Our only source of natural light was a frosted window that looked into an air shaft, which was very frustrating given the amount of award points we were spending and that we are Starwood Gold.

Generally the staff was very friendly and accommodating, with one huge exception. After getting back to our room late on Saturday night, we were famished and wanted to order room service. We could not get anyone to answer our calls - not the front desk, not Whatever Whenever - no one! We finally had to call the Starwood Gold line to get their assistance in getting someone on the phone who could take our room service order.

Finally, be aware that the valet rate here is $50/night. Yes, the hotel is located right by the White House so it is not going to be cheap. But you can find a much more reasonable overnight rate at one of the many nearby parking garages.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room that is not located on the interior air shaft.
1  Thank dclegallyblonde
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We escorted my husband's parents to visit the War War II memorial. My father in law is a decorated veteran. They both have disabilities and the staff was extremely responsive to our needs. They had a handicapped room just 2 doors down from ours. We enjoyed dinner at J&G steakhouse on the premises. The food was excellant, but pricey. The hotel location is excellant to visit all the sites in DC. The concierge was extrmely helpful, she had extensive knowledge of the area.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Awesome W. I love this SPG hotel option, and this W did everything right - starting with the wonderful greeting when I arrived by cab from the train station.

My room was ready, plenty of electrical outlets for the wall-warts that are in my bag, and a quiet, comfortable, luxurious room to catch up on company business before heading out to the Metro and a trip to Chevy Chase for the evening's work. The Metro Center stop is 2.5 blocks away, and is the focal point for several lines.

Beautiful roof-top lounge for checking out the White House and the pretty spring foliage. Also, even though no in-room coffee, there was plenty of free hot coffee in the lobby. The breakfast was totally outstanding.

No reason to stay anywhere else in the DC metro area. I would definitely choose this hotel when coming to DC.

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Liked this hotel. Great location for site seeing although I was there on business. Nice big shower. No tub in my room so keep that in mind if traveling w children that may prefer a bathtub. Great Bliss spa toiletries in the room. No coffee maker in room but they will provide one if asked. Free coffee in lobby is provided. Bed was very comfy. Staff very friendly.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 22 April 2012

The room was very small, the carpet was very dirty and the shower had black mold... not good considering how expensive this room was! That's the bad stuff but they comped us with free breakfast and free drinks and a late checkout. The goods stuff is the location, comfy bed, the restaurant on the patio, the beautiful lobby, the wonderful staff, the crowded bar with amazing views, and best of all ... President Obama was there for a meeting! Yeah, I got searched a bunch of times but hey, so cool!! I got some great photos out my window of the whole arrival!

1  Thank artladyla
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I chose to stay here on the basis of a previous W Hotel experience which was fantastic. I have to admit that I was left slightly disappointed. The location itself could not be better for the Washington sights and metro, but the service leaves something to be desired. If you wish to take advantage of the complimentary drop off service (within 5 miles), book well in advance to avoid long waiting times which can mess up your day. (We ended up taking a taxi).

There are two entrances to the hotel and I instinctively opted for the one without a ramp (!) and had to drag my luggage up the stairs. There was no-one to help me or even hold the door open. Had I chosen the other door, there was a ramp but on another occasion, despite the doorman, I still received no help at all.

The foyer had a display of pop art, to which I have no objection, but it rendered it feeling extremely busy and over cluttered. It also hid the check-in desk behind, which didn't help whilst dragging my luggage around! I also noted an interesting complimentary drink available near the foyer bar area but it was always empty throughout my stay so I sadly never had the opportunity to sample it.

We waited for quite some time to check in, which can happen and I, again, have no objection to that. However, what did leave me feeling irritated was the complete lack of acknowledgement despite three members of staff directly in front of us. Eventually, a lovely gentleman who I assume was the manager or supervisor, saw us waiting and gave us a quick apology and assured us that we would be seen to asap. He saved his staff on several other occasions during our stay.

We also had problems during check-out, and again when we returned to collect our luggage. Due to the lack of space, there was a limited waiting area and we were repeatedly queue jumped by other more aggressive hotel clients. The W staff were oblivious to the growing anger of their more polite customers around them. Not a good start - or finish - to our stay.

We stayed in a 'wonderful' room - the most basic, with an internal view. Since we spent much of our time out and about, this didn't bother us. For peace and quiet in DC, request a room as high up as possible to avoid noise. I was annoyed that, despite requesting this on booking, I had to re-request on check-in, although it was changed with no qualms. Our room was on the 7th floor and we had no problems. As always with W hotels, the room was cleverly designed and luxurious. The photos don't really do it justice. No faults there at all.. although it would have been nice for such a large hotel chain to acknowledge our wedding anniversary while we were there. Other, often smaller hotels have either upgraded us, given us a little something extra in the room, or even just wished us a happy anniversary.

With a keen interest in bars and cocktails, we were intrigued to visit the highly rated 'POV' rooftop bar. The views over Washington are second to none but to call their house specialty cocktail a disappointment barely begins to cover it. I was horrified to watch the bar tender serve me a premix topped up with mixer. How can this possibly be a renowned cocktail bar in Washington?! Simple cocktail mistakes were also made behind the bar for other customers which were obvious to amateurs like us. If you are really interested in a true cocktail experience, I suggest you try 'The Passenger' (for which I have also written a review).

Do try the J&G steakhouse for dinner. The food was delicious and service good.

There is a 'Bliss' spa in the basement and a reasonably equipped gym, neither of which I had time to experience. One thing that was missing, however, was a jacuzzi/sauna for hotel client use. There is a steam room available within the spa but it is not advertised.

Overall, the location and room were up to scratch, but as for the rest... what a shame.

Room Tip: As high up as you can, to avoid noise.
1  Thank MissFussyUk