“A Small Selection of Very Good Cupcakes”

Red Velvet Cupcakery
Ranked #7 of 62 Bakeries in Washington DC
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Reviewed April 8, 2018

This is a tiny little standing-room only (partnered with Bakers & Baristas next door for seating) cupcake shop that offers between five and ten varieties (on any given day), and lucky for me, they were selling mini cupcakes when I visited, so I could taste more without going into a sugar coma afterwards. I always try the classics: a vanilla cupcake (preferably with chocolate frosting) and a chocolate cupcake (preferably with vanilla frosting) - and these did not disappoint! Tender, moist cake with frosting that didn't make my teeth ache. This was worth the visit, and will be worth another one, next time I'm in town.

Reviewed March 26, 2018

I was in DC over the last weekend and luckily was in the area and stopped in for a mid morning treat. I had the lemon cupcake with coconut cream cheese frosting. It was delectable! Not too sweet, great amount of frosting and airy cake. I recommend stopping by!

Reviewed March 19, 2018

Just walking by we could not resist the stop. They all looked so good. We just wanted one. I think it was salted caramel? We cut it in half and ate it on the spot. The guy told us we could have eaten next as that was their place too. It was very good, but a bit expensive I thought for the size.

Reviewed December 26, 2017 via mobile

We stopped by the cupcakery because we heard they had gluten free cupcakes. We bought 3 and everyone loved their cupcakes! They were delicious. They had both gluten free and vegan cupcakes. The prices weren’t bad either.

Reviewed October 29, 2017 via mobile

They were pretty good but nothing to go out of your way for. We were in the area so got a half doz and took them next door to eat with our coffees. Like I said they were good, but unless I was walking by I would not go out of my way for them. Flavor selection was limited.