“Can't wait to come back!”

Mt. Vernon Square Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #9 of 35 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Can't wait to come back!”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

what a gem! the B&B is beautiful! From the moment we arrived we felt extremely welcome. the interior of the B&B is breath-taking, recently refurbished using trimmings from an old chuch, the B&B has a wonderful old world charm to it.

We stayed in the terrace room which is on the top floor and has a seperate private bathroom a floor below. the terrace room is stunning, VERY SPACIOUS and very comfortable. there is also a huge terrace, about the size of the room, that was for our access only which was really lovely too.

The bathroom is lovely and clean, the shower is a lot of fun with all the jets.

Keith and Lydia- the hosts are some of the nicest people you will meet and they sure can cook up a brilliant breakfast. We had some lovely conversations with them each morning and they were always happy to provide any advice or directions.

There is a train station 2 blocks away that goes straight into town which makes things nice and easy if you are tired, but walking into town is also very easy and its a nice walk. it took us about 15-20min.

We would definitely come back to this B&B and stay even longer next time!

Room Tip: If you don't mind having your bathroom on a seperate level (dressing gowns are provided) the ter...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
virginia beach
Reviewed 23 April 2012

impeccable and welcoming owner, elegant yet comfortablel, unique, and tasteful. Thought of everything!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Apex, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 February 2012

My stay at MVSBB was absolutely amazing! Lydia and Keith actually asked me what I loved for breakfast a few weeks before I arrived, and then it was prepared perfectly! BTW, it was one of my Southern favorites - pork chops and grits. All of the meals were outstanding, and the best part was just chatting with Lydia and Keith. One of my collegues stayed at the big convention hotel, and when he visited, he couldn't believe that I had found this charm...and for so much less money than those hotels charge.

Their house is very close to the convention center - an easy 5 min. walk. The neighborhood is very quaint, and no need to worry about walking to the convention center along busy streets...it's just a very nice stroll where you see neighbors walking their dogs. If need be, there is a grocery store (Safeway) a couple of minutes (walking) away. The one suggestion I have is to leave your car in the the free parking that the MVSBB provides and just walk for the duration of the trip.

The rooms are very nice with amentities you would expect in a first rate B&B. My room had a nice balcony that I would relax on.

One of the greatest charms of this place is the warmness that Lydia and Keith give. On the day of my big presentation, they both were wishing me luck and then afterward were asking how it went. I truley felt as if I were at home!!!!

Room Tip: I stayed upstairs and had a balcony. It was great.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Greg F
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 27 January 2012

My family and I had a truly enjoyable stay at MVSBB. Keith and Lydia were the perfect hosts and made us feel entirely welcome. We stayed in the Terrace room, which worked well for three people. The room was artistically decorated in a very classy and tasteful manner. Breakfasts were amazing - Keith and Lydia worked their magic every morning coming up with different fantastic menus. When we inquired about laundry facilities, Lydia volunteered to do it all for us! Jaws still drop when we tell our friends that part... The only negative was that the nearby intersection seemed to be a common route for emergency vehicles, so it was common for sirens to be blazing nearby. But, then it wouldn't be DC without lots of sirens, would it?

Room Tip: Although the terrace room doesn't have a fridge/microwave, they are available just across the ha...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Oakland, California
Reviewed 7 January 2012

I had a wonderful two-night stay at the Mt. Vernon Square Bed and Breakfast. My entire experience there was wonderful. The house is full of charm and the hosts, Lydia and Keith, are kind and very helpful. You feel comfortable there immediately. I stayed in the Terrance Room on the third floor, which was very spacious and comfortable, with a short flight of stairs down to my private bathroom. I am not usually good with directions, but the B&B was just 3-4 blocks from the Convention Center Metro Stop, where you can go to anywhere in the city you desire. Central location--you can walk to the DC mall in 15 minutes or less, and there is a Safeway market around the corner (there is a private refrigerator you can use to store food). Lydi and Keith are life-long residents of the city and can answer any questions you have about what to see, how to get there, etc.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Luminos123
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 18 December 2011

My wife Lisa and I spent six nights at the Mt. Vernon Square B&B for our first trip to Washington, DC, and we're very happy we chose this bed and breakfast. We stayed in the Cleopatra room which is large, with a very comfortable king size bed and en suite bathroom. It's a great value.

Breakfasts were delicious and filling. We never had to interrupt our site seeing to stop for lunch; our breakfasts kept us going until 6 or 7 pm. We really liked that it's family style seating; all the guests sit at the same table. We love that. We've stayed at other B&Bs where they put you at your own table. What's the fun in that? We had great, long conversations with Keith and Lydia and interesting people from the U.K. and northern California. The downside is that we sometimes spent TOO much time talking, taking away time from seeing the museums and such.

It's a five to seven minute walk to the Metro station at the Convention Center, around a forty minute walk to the Air and Space Museum on the mall. We felt very comfortable walking around the neighborhood and eating dinner at one of the nearby restaurants Keith recommended. They leant us a couple of Metro cards that we could charge up with our credit cards; those really streamline getting around town. We returned them when we left.

On Saturday we spent too much time at the monuments and had to get to the Kennedy Center for a symphony performance. I originally thought we could take public transportation, but with time running short we decided to take a cab. I stupidly didn't consider how difficult that might be on a Saturday night. I asked for Lydia's help, and she was on the case. She had her landline phone pressed to one ear and her cellphone pressed to the other, and with her help we got a cab and got to the performance with time to spare. As I said, unbeatable service.

By the way, if you punch their address into Google Maps and then look at the street view it shows you the side of the house from 4th St, and it looks a little sketchy. Google messed up. Navigate around to view the front of the house from M St. It's very nice.

We were able to only scratch the surface of all there is to see in Washington, DC. We'll definitely look to stay at Mr. Vernon Square B&B again for our next visit there.

Happy travels.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Shawn M
San Diego
Reviewed 9 December 2011

The house is beautiful; the rooms are large and comfortable; the breakfasts are great, and the hosts are lovely, lovely people. As others have said, the location is central and very convenient. There was some traffic noise during the night, but you expect that whenever you're staying in a city center. In the end, this place is the reason people stay in B&Bs rather than hotels. We'll stay there again the next time we're in DC.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple