“Home away from home feel just outside of exciting Dupont Circle”

The St. Gregory Hotel
Ranked #100 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 April 2017

I was recently in DC on business and needed a moderate hotel close to my DC office. What I got in the St. Gregory was phenomenal - so much more than a place to crash on a business trip night. It delighted me and so far surpassed my minimal expectations. In terms of time of year, though just a couple of weeks past cherry blossom peak, the area mid-April is gorgeous with other pink, yellow and purple bloom all a 5 minute walk from the hotel lobby. The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful. My room was tastefully decorated and incredibly comfortable. I had a junior suite with a sort of galley kitchenette which was perfect for my needs. Aside from the fact that the bed was the perfect firmness for my aging back there were little touches in the bathroom that made me feel at home - things that I so rarely find in business hotels but which I so very much appreciate - such as a shower curtain that bows out to give you more room and is transparent from about shoulder height up so that the shower area is extremely well lit, and a magnifyng mirror on an arm that swings out from the wall beside the bathroom mirror so I didn't have to unpack the one I take with me just in case. Last, and completely unexpected, was the food quality - which was exceptional - unusual and multiple choices prepared sumptuously. I have been in many hotels for business in DC over the years, and this one was a stand out and made me feel like I was there on vacation, rather than for work!

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
Robert C, General Manager at The St. Gregory Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2017

Greetings from The St Gregory Hotel,

We thank you for such a wonderful review and it delights us to have received a perfect 5 about your recent stay with us. We hope that you will return to Washington DC and be our guest. We will share your feedback with the team and we thank you for taking the time to share your experiences.

Reviewed 29 April 2017

This was a good choice for a place to stay when we visited our son in DC. It is close to the Metro, close to attractions, close to restaurants. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The room was OK. It was clean and comfortable but a bit noisy - the toilet ran all the time and air-conditioning was very loud. We thought the breakfast was tasty and reasonably priced.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple

Greetings from The St Gregory hotel,

Thank you kindly for you 4 star review concerning your recent stay. We appreciate your feedback which serves to make us aware and improve to ensure a prefect guest experience.We have noted your comments and will share them with our team.

We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 26 April 2017

Business trip. The lobby is cool but I cannot say the same about rooms. Pretty outdated, including bathrooms. Spacious, pretty clean, not lighted enough. Not clear when room cleaning appears and they may skip stuff. Breakfast is not buffet and the lighter choices are just...one. No slippers, bathrobes, etc. Some work is required and some reception training.

2  Thank Aburel
Robert C, General Manager at The St. Gregory Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2017

Greetings from The St Gregory Hotel,

Thank you for your comments and feedback. We certainly appreciate it and take it to heart in order to improve our standards so that we may exceed guest expectations. We have been renovating areas of the hotel since last summer. We are happy that you find the lobby-restaurant -lounge areas cool. The guest rooms will be renovated later this year so update the style and feel of our comfortable and spacious guest rooms. We certainly hope that you will visit us again on your next business trip to Washington DC. We thank you very much for your loyalty and for sharing your experience this past stay.

Reviewed 24 April 2017

I stay in this hotel often because it is close to my workplace (I work in a remote location, but our headquarters is in DC). There are many types of rooms--many of them have kitchenettes, which is ideal if you are traveling with your family. (I have had colleagues from overseas travel with family members, and the staff have been very accommodating). I have often been upgraded to a full suite, which is good for holding meetings. The restaurant has good food, although the standard breakfast is not too inspiring (there are better options on the a la carte menu). Happy hour in the bar is a very good deal--great appetizers.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business
Robert C, General Manager at The St. Gregory Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2017

Greetings from The St Gregory Agnes Q,

We so appreciate your loyalty to The St Gregory hotel and thank you kindly for your feedback. It is great to hear the the spaciousness of our rooms is ideal for your business needs. It is also rewarding to know that the staff is taking good care of you!

We look forward to seeing you on your next trip into Washington DC.

Reviewed 23 April 2017

The lobby, bar, and restaurant have all been recently renovated and redesigned and it's really lovely. However--- we paid $369.00 a night because we wanted a room with a kitchenette and this is what we got:
-a kitchenette that had nothing but one fork, one knife, one coffee cup, no plates
-no table to sit at to eat, even the cocktail table was leather cushioned, so could not really function as a table
-a broken sliding mirrored closet- I almost sliced my finger trying to open the door because the glass had pulled away from the metal frame
-peeling wallpaper everywhere
-lamps that didn't work, or were missing knobs so impossible to turn on or off
-an AC unit from 1970's that sometimes worked and when it did made so much noise it
was impossible to keep on all night
- a stained bathtub
- moldy bathroom tiles
- water damaged window sills with peeling paint
- a cleaning person who never cleaned the room the first day, leaving used coffee cups and towels strewn in the bathroom
- a cleaning person who never showed the second day til nearly 3, and when they did, took our uneaten, unwrapped snacks away
- a cleaning person who never refurbished the coffee bar
- the windows are thin and you can hear every single noise outside.
- the walls are so thin you can hear your neighbors talk

We were told the rooms may be "updated sometime in 2020". That there were 3 or 4 'special rooms' that 'special people' can stay in.....The first floor, which also serves a decent breakfast, creates a bait and switch.... the rooms upstairs belong to some sad, overpriced and in much need of repair hotel, while the lobby floor is great.
The staff tried to be accommodating, but many seemed completely lacking in organization, skill and hospitality training.
Our advice:
Go for a drink and leave.

Stayed April 2017, traveled on business

Room Tip: the breakfast is decent
3  Thank terrie k
Robert C, General Manager at The St. Gregory Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2017

Greetings terrie k,

I am so very sorry to hear the myriad of issues described in your comments.
We have been renovating the hotel and improving every area for nearly one year at this stage. Most of the room items you described are being addressed with the room renovations and our owners are very much involved in making this a beautiful luxury boutique hotel that is one of a kind. We are happy that you enjoyed the lobby level, restaurant and lounge areas that along with the meeting space, fitness center and business center have all been completed. The rooms in fact will begin later this year. From your comments, the staff could easily have attended to bring you additional plates etc for your kitchenette upon request. Most guests do not cook in their rooms so we only place a limited amount within the rooms as most go unused. Room service is also available for extra items, we wish you would have told us and we gladly would have supplied them to you. We are very sorry for the conditions mentioned. We are working on them in every room to the best of our abilities and I can assure you that all will be addressed and corrected. We hope that you would give us another chance as this seems to have been out of the normal standards we employ here. Your comfort and happiness is our primary goal! I do appreciate your feedback as it will serve to our team to be more thorough in our room inspections.

Reviewed 20 April 2017

I'm very happy with our stay at this hotel. The location is very convenient. We were lucky to be able to find a parking on the street and since it was a holiday Parking was free.
They upgraded our room to a suite with a kitchenette which was nice to have.
The staff were super nice and friendly,

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Robert C, General Manager at The St. Gregory Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2017

Greetings shery v,

Thank you so much for your five star review of The St Gregory Hotel.
We are happy that you spent your holiday with us and enjoyed a lovely one bedroom suite.

We will share your positive feedback about the staff being nice and friendly. To us, that makes all the difference in the world between simply giving good service and loving what you do and giving great service with a genuine passion for our guests.
We thank you so much and value your comments.
We do hope that you will stay with us again!

Reviewed 20 April 2017

This hotel was booked for me so it was a pleasant surprise. The restaurant was good for breakfast, I was given good service throughout and it was a quiet room even at the front of the hotel. Easy walk to the sites in city and even to the convention centre so long as you are carrying too much. Restaurants very close by for dinner.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business

Greetings Matthew T,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences about your recent stay at The St Gregory. It is great to hear that you enjoyed breakfast in our newly renovated restaurant Tredici. The food is outstanding and reasonably priced! We are also happy to hear that you enjoyed a quiet room and received great service and in a fantastic neighborhood!

All the Best,