“French elegance in DC”

Sofitel Washington DC
Ranked #20 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I've stayed here a number of times on business and once on leisure, and it's always a pleasant experience. The hotel is beautifully decorated and understated in elegance. The staff is consistently attentive and courteous. The rooms are outfitted in high quality finishes and I've never had a complaint with regard to cleanliness our housekeeping. There are two restaurants in the lobby. The bar scene in the evenings is sometimes quite noisy, and in the summer, there is a sidewalk patio that is fun. The location is great, close to the McPherson Sq, Metro stop, and just a few short blocks from the White House.This is a somewhat expensive hotel, but if you can afford it, it's definitely worth it.

Room Tip: They have interior rooms which are very quiet, and I hear that the airline pilots stay there for a g...
1  Thank Pendrake

Reviewed 23 February 2012

Spent two nights there staying together with my hubby and our two kids aged 5 and 8. Our daughter turned 8 during our stay and in order to celebrate her, we were upgraded to a suite, and the little birthday girl both received a birthday cake to her room the day we arrived and also another during breakfast the following morning.
The suite was splendid. I love the beds at Sofitel hotels and we had a very quiet room facing an inner courtyard. I slept like an angel!
We had breakfast at Ici bistro in the hotel and the Ici breakfast was very nice indeed. The kids had pancakes and crepes for their breakfasts and they were also very tasty. I appreciated the free morning smoothie shots that we were served as well.
Tried the bar on one occation and they serve very good drinks in a cozy atmosphere.
The staff went out of their way to accomodate our every need and they made our stay unforgettable. The location is superb if you want to get around and do some sightseeing.
I think it is amazing to take a four minute stroll and then you're in front of the White House!

The only negative thing was the charge for wifi. I don't mind paying for the Wifi, but I prefer to be charged per room and not per item that uses wifi. Since we had brought Ipad, cells, and laptop, I found the charges a bit too much.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the inner courtyard are very quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Jenta
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Pros: Wonderful, attentive and friendly staff. Great complimentary bread basket at breakfast and great great bed. Light and ample rooms and perfect location for visiting DC's main attractions like The White House and The Mall. Concierge booked visits to Capitol and had them sent straight to our room within five minutes - perfect!
Cons: Quiet area in the evening. This is not an area where you will find small bars and cozy restaurants. If this is what you're looking for, the only real area to find this in DC is Georgetown - but then the distance is far greater to main sights.
Tips: Go to China Town area for great food if you don't want to travel to Georgetown. Asian Spice on 717 H Street has great cocktails and sushi and outdoor dining. Don't let the neon lights fool you - this is good spot located near main attractions.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Mary_denmark
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Sofitel DC is very nice, but it had several quirks, and overall I don’t think it was worth the price. I travel extensively for work and visit DC 3-4 times a year and do not see why this hotel justifies charging $100/night more than similar hotels within a few blocks.

A few quibbles:
1) There was no top sheet on the bed. Bottom sheet and duvet with a very nice (high thread count) cover, but no top sheet. When I made a comment, I was told that top sheets are available upon request.

2) The closet was the smallest I have ever seen in a hotel. They took what would be a smallish closet, then split it in half vertically and put the coffee maker, safe and other amenities in one side, leaving the other half for hanging clothes. I had 3 suits and they barely fit.

3) They ignored my ‘do not disturb’ sign. I typically leave the sign up for my entire stay and have never had a problem at any other hotel. Often hotels will either slip a note under the door or call to be sure I do not want service. At the Sofitel, they simply entered my room while I was out. I’m not worried about the staff stealing anything (I have nothing to steal), I just found it offensive that they would blatantly ignore my request. When I made a comment, I was told that my preferences had been recorded for future stays.

Aside from all that, it is a very nice place, convenient to all the big tourist attractions, the Metro and many nice restaurants. But - there is no ‘WOW’ factor that would justify me paying the cost in the future.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank VirginiaVacationer
Renou, General Manager at Sofitel Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2012

Thank you for choosing the Sofitel for your visit to Washington D.C. We appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback. As you mentioned, we follow the European standard by using plush down duvets for the rooms, however we recognize guests preferences, and have top sheets available upon request. We take the Do Not Disturb policy very seriously. Our doors are fire safe, so we cannot slide anything underneath, however when a DND sign is present, we leave a message for you if we need to be in touch. For future stays, we will be happy to work with your preferences, and we will be sure to assign a room for you with a more spacious closet to accommodate your needs.

Truly,
Anna Chaley Croll
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 20 February 2012

As noted, there's a buzz and energy in the principal rooms off the lobby, but it isn't pounding. Stayed one night for business. Very friendly people at the desk, lovely room. Terrific bed. Good bathroom. Staff all very friendly when you saw them in the halls. Good breakfast, still quite hot, received via room service in the morning. Overall, no complaints. I'd stay at Sofitel more often but generally I find it a little on the pricey side relative to the value. This hotel was very, very nice and I think slightly better than the Sofitel I've stayed at in midtown New York, which is also a very good hotel for the right price.

Room Tip: If you're fussy about avoiding interior views, this in a hotel built around a drab interior cour...
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I just completed a week long stay at the Sofitel and my room was first rate -Clean, quite, spacious, excellent desk, comfortable bed, excellent linens, pillows and towels. The entire staff is gracious and competent, Carlos Alcazar, Assistant Food & Beverage manager does as excellent job along with all of the culinary staff and outrageously convenient to the Mall and beautiful on top of the other superlatives.

Reviewed 15 February 2012

This place has buzz but is not yet swamped, so take advantage of being ahead of the curve. French-owned, it is blessedly independent of American hotel standards. In Europe (and much of touristic Asia and Africa) the hotels are better, the restaurants are better, the airlines are better -basically everything is better. Sofitel gives you all that (except the better health care).

My room was extremely quiet, absolutely no street noise. I felt I was out of the city completely. My windows faced 15th street and I had a lovely view; not a vista, mind you, but Daniel Burnham's stately Southern Building (1914) across the street is quite impressive and a delight to observe as the sun casts varying shadows on its facade. My room was not extravagantly expansive but it was more than spacious enough. Everything was where it should be, and the work area was quite broad, with plenty of outlets. The windows were tall and flooded the room with light, even in the afternoon. There were many electric lights carefully placed throughout the room and bathroom. The art on the walls was beautiful, speaking of a desire to fulfill higher standards of excellence and taste, not just the minimum for business. The bed was comfortable and attractive, the comforter and pillows apparently of down or down substitute. The bathroom was very well constructed (no sloppy grouting and tiling here), the closet space easy to use, the television sharp, and the seating very comfortable. I could have stayed there a long time. The hallways and elevators and lobby all reflect the same standards of excellence and attention to detail as in the room. The clientele is very chic and smart, of all ages but many in the young 30s and 40s. I'm surprised that Sofitel is not always booked to the rafters, because here you get far more than at other comparable hotels (like the Fairfax at Embassy Row, and Ritz Pentagon City), and you are only a few blocks from the White House.

The room service was the best I've had by far in DC. I've ordered room service at the Ritz Pentagon City, the Fairfax Embassy Row, a major Dulles hotel, and many other hotels in the US and Europe, and this is my favorite so far. (The Ritz Pentagon City's room service bill said "Marriott" on it; I can only assume they contract out for that, which explains why the Ritz food is bland and in no way fits anyone's conception of a Ritz standard.) At Sofitel some of the food may also be a bit on the pre-fab side of things, but it is definitely several steps up. Tea comes in a lovely heavy pot, very Asian in style. The bread you'd find in a good patisserie. The main dishes are thoughtfully prepared and very fresh. You definitely eat well, and I can't wait to try the Bistro itself next time I'm in town.

Cons: The shower has a rain-style shower head, which is pleasant but for me does not provide nearly enough pressure to get that aaah feeling. It's like somebody massaging your back but not quite finding the knots. I felt that some of the staff were being too aggressive in seeking tips. The room smelled and looked very clean, except for a piece of terry cloth lint and a pencil shaving on the floor. The carpet needs updating; it's that kind of deep pile that changes color with heavy traffic, so it looks light on the sides and dark in the middle of the room. And I don't know if this is a con, but probably so for those thinking in feng shui terms: the bathroom doors (they are french doors with frosted windows) open directly onto the side of the bed. I'm guessing the designer wanted the doors to face the large windows to bring in natural light - and I have to agree with her/him that this enhances the bathroom tremendously and prevents it from seeming like a dark carve. Just be sure to close the doors when you don't need the bathroom.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the alleys; those overlooking 15th street have a good view. Take time to try the...
2  Thank bkrider9