“If you loved James Bond - You will Love this Place”

International Spy Museum
Ranked #89 of 472 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Opened in 2002, the International Spy Museum provides interactive exhibits and contains the most extensive collection of spy artifacts ever displayed.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Stairs / lift
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Well with a name like the International Spy Museum I don't see how I could pass it up. Being a fan of all those spy movies, especially James Bond movies. It was a sure-fire winner for me. Now you buy your tickets and get in line to go up on the elevator which is something that monitors the number of people in and out of the building I think. You go to the top and then work your way back down. Now on the ground floor you'll see one of the bond cars there and a giant video playing and it's amusing. Once you get in the elevator you'll go to the top floor which is 3 I believe and start reading about spies and spy equipment and the things spies have done over the decades. There is information about spies I've never heard of who were caught during some pretty nasty things. It's cool to see all the gadgets that they used to use, I'm sure that there are gadgets today that make these look like Child's Play. Anyway after you leave that floor and see more goodies they send you to the James Bond area or you just see movie clip and poster and gadgets and bond stuff to make you go wild, and then drop you into the gift store hoping that you will be excited to make impulse purchases and have more spy goodies at your house. Anyway for some it's a must-see and for others it's a see you later. Enjoy your choice whatever it is.

SpyMuseumManager, Guest Relations Manager at International Spy Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

I'm so glad you enjoyed embracing your inner spy with us! As you pointed out, we have one of the largest collection of spy artifacts in the world . There's lots of history one can explore in our exhibits. I'm also happy to hear that you were able to have a "Bond moment". Our 007 exhibition on our bottom floor will be with us through December 2018. It was installed in honor of the 50th anniversary of the film franchise and features real artifacts alongside movie props to give the films historical context. I look forward to welcoming you back for another mission soon. Thank you again for your thorough debrief!

Meredith Richard
guestdebriefing@spymuseum.org

Write a ReviewReviews (4,582)
All reviews
in 377 reviews
"gadgets"
in 284 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I totally thought this was going to be a gag, like Ripley's believe it or don't. But it wasn't. It was actually pretty cool. They had (what I think are real), spy stuff from KGB, FBI, etc. Everything is displayed with easy to understand descriptions and they even had a 007 exhibition at the end. The only drawbacks? You must book this in advance, and even then, be prepared to wait to get in. It also gets pretty crowded as you're making your way through the cramped museum, but worth checking out for sure.

SpyMuseumManager, Guest Relations Manager at International Spy Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hello Agent Ncoutroulis,

Thank you for sharing your intel! I am happy to see your mission was a success. As you stated the Spy Museum has the World's largest collection of Spy artifacts. Hope to Spy on you soon!

Tierra Manning

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Took the family to visit this during a trip to DC. Very neat museum. Be prepared to wait a bit as there is ALWAYS a line (as stated by one of the workers). I was not aware you needed to “book” your time in advance so we had to wait in line. There was about a 45 minute wait (outside) the building and there is about a 20 minute line once you get inside. The line moved along pretty well as they start their tours of the main building with about 20 people at a time.

Give yourself about 2 hours to walk through the museum. Lots of cool information in there with some interactive stuff to play with (regardless of your age)! There is also a exhibit in honor of James Bond with lots of paraphernalia from his movies and various movie clips.

There are a couple of “adventures” listed in their website: Operation Spy and another scavenger hunt using GPS coordinates. You need to sign up for these ahead of time as you are assigned a timeframe for your participation...and they fill up fast. We didn’t know about signing up early so didn’t participate in these adventures but people we spoke too seemed to enjoy them. There is a Spy store attached to the museum which is where you finish the museum tour, however, you don’t have to go on the tour to visit the store. Some neat books, shirts, and gadgets for purchase.

The museum is very appropriate for teenagers as we took our 15 year old son. Be prepared for a lot of walking and standing. There is an elevator and space for wheelchairs. You are not allowed to take strollers into the museum due to space issues. They have an area to leave the strollers while in the museum.

Great time had by us and highly recommend visiting.

Thank you for your thorough debrief. I'm so glad you enjoyed the museum! As you mentioned, spring break can be a busy time for us. We generally suggest visiting the museum when we first open between 9-10 am or two hours prior to closing between 5-6 pm to avoid peak crowds this time of year. Museum tickets are valid all day, so guests can enter and enter as much as they like once tickets are purchased. There's definitely a lot to explore in our museum. From gadgets to interactives to unique artifacts, it's one of the most extensive collections of its kind in the world! I hope you'll spy on us again soon. Thanks again for visiting.

Meredith Richard

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Excellent, informative hands on museum. So much to interest kids and adults alike and great that you get to have a go at so many of the activities. Really underestimated how long it would take us to get round this place (took us about 3 hours), get there early to avoid the queue. Think we arrived about 9.30 am and got straight in, by lunch time the queue was immense. Fantastic shop full of gadgets and gizmos. really loved this place and would definitely recommend, it's pricey but worth it.

I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit! As you mentioned, our museum features numerous hands-on activities to help bring the world of espionage to life. There's definitely a little spy in all of us! Spring break can be a busy time for us so we do recommend visiting when we first open (around 9-10am) or two hours prior to closing (5-6pm) to avoid peak crowds this time of year. I hope you'll join us for another mission in the future!