“Now the hippest neighborhood in DC” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #143 of 413 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The U Street Corridor is home to some of DC's iconic foods. Ben's Chili Bowl, home of the half-smoke, is there plus an area referred to by some as "Little Ethiopia" due to the large number of Ethiopian restaurants.
DC
106 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Now the hippest neighborhood in DC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

This neighborhood is the most popular area for young people. If you want a night out on the town in DC come here! There are a ton of great restaurants (please don't eat at Ben's chili bowl!) and lots of bars.

Don't listen to people who say it's not safe. If you stick to the main business strips it's absolutely fine. This is where everyone young in DC of all backgrounds goes to hang out..

Visited September 2011
1 Thank Jessica N

Joshua Tree, California
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Like an urban village.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2011

I was surprised to read how "Anonymous' interpreted U Street. I am in DC from Vermont and I was delighted to find U Street. I found a great market there for groceries, I can't stand huge grocery stores and this one is that perfect size-like a big country market really. I bought my entire weeks worth of groceries there, wish I could remember the name. Then I discovered a cupcake mecca. Any cake connoisseur must go to Cake Love. I could go on, but I have to add if you like vintage, historically vintage clothing, U Street is a must. I also have to say there are two yoga studios there I am excited to try- BOundless Yoga and then further down U S. is a place called Buddha B that looks like it is probably a pretty cool studio.

It is historically a black neighborhood and was home base for many of our country's cultural legends pre-civil rights. To me it just feels cool. Next on my list for my next foray to U St is Busboys and P
oets-or something like that. Their calendar is chock full of readings, performances, etc. As for the nightlife-I am not a big night club person-but from what I saw during the day, looks like a pretty cool, sophisticated scene.
Again, I have to remind the reader here I am from Vermont. I am terrified of violence, and my main gripe about DC is how I hear sirens constantly throughout the day, yet I found U Street a charming way to connect with a real community in DC.

Visited May 2011
3 Thank Xcacel
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“The bad side of town”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2011

U street probably represents DC's worst. The buildings are run down, and with the exception of Ben's Chili, the area lacks goodness. It's your typical poor, rundown urban quarter with homeless folk harassing tourists everywhere.

6 Thank Anonymousmice
Sterling, VA
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 363 helpful votes
“Here's why the U Street Corridor is worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2010

The U Street Corridor is worth a visit because, among many reasons, it is home to two foods that DC is known for. Ben's Chili Bowl, a DC institution established in 1958, serves half-smokes which were created in DC. In addition, some refer to the area on U Street east of 13th Street and in the 1900 block of 9th Street as "Little Ethiopia". In that area, are 10 Ethiopian restaurants.

Also, near Ben's Chili Bowl is the Lincoln Theater. Built in 1922, it was once the center of DC's African-American cultural renaissance with many famous entertainers performing there. Today, the theater is beautifully restored and often puts on plays sponsored by Arena Stage.

10 Thank SueFee