“So many more things I want to try.”
Review of Jaleo

Jaleo
Reserve with OpenTable
Jaleo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #71 of 3,707 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: E St.
Transit: We are located 1 block south of the Gallery Place/Chinatown metro station on the yellow, green and red lines. Take the 7th and Arena exit, walk one block south. The restaurant is located on the right hand corner of 7th and E St. We are also 1 block North of Arhives/Navy Memorial/Penn Quarter station on the green and yellow lines.
Description: Jaleo brings alive the spirit and flavors of Spain with a menu reflecting the rich regional diversity of classical and contemporary Spanish cuisine, under the direction of renowned chef Jose Andres. Jaleo offers an impressive assortment of tapas, the traditional small dishes of Spain, as well as savory paellas, superb sangrias and a fine selection of Spanish wines and Sherries in a festive, casual atmosphere.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Great service and excellent food with Chef's signature enthusiasm oozing throughout the experience. It was our first time, so we stayed with some of the basic fare. I want to go back and try five more totally unique dishes, which is the fun of tapas. The dessert, paired with a sherry, was so amazing. Bonus that 10% of our bill went to Central World Kitchen! Pricey, but we knew that going in, and we chose it for a special occasion.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,264)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

When I go out to eat, I love trying new and different foods, and tapas are perfect.
We had

• Cebolla asada con queso Valdeon which is roasted sweet onion, pine nuts, and Valdeon blue cheese. The Valdeon blue cheese is exquisite. The combination of sweet onions, blue cheese, and pine nuts is absolutely fabulous.
• Berenjenas a la malagueña con miel is crispy Japanese eggplant, with organic honey and lemon zest. The flavors are very subtle and sublime.
• Empedrat de mongetes is a traditional Catalan bean salad with tomatoes, onions, black olives and sherry dressing. This sounds and looks like a typical American picnic bean salad but it is far superior. I think it must be the sherry dressing that makes the difference.
• Mushroom croquettes. These were a special. They were unbelievably good. Many years ago my mother gave me a mushroom soup recipe the Paul and I both love. These tasted just like my mother’s mushroom soup in a croquette. I wish these were on the regular menu!
• Manzanas con hinojo y queso Manchego is a sliced apple and fennel salad with Manchego cheese, walnuts and sherry dressing. I love the Manchengo cheese and the combination of flavors is superb.

I always have room for desert. I like the Flan al estilo tradicional de mamá Marisa con espuma de crema catalana, which is a classic Spanish custard with 'espuma' of Catalan cream and oranges. It is really pleasant. Jaleo is our favorite Washington restaurant.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Don’t misunderstand, the food here is always first rate, And it is a given that tapas service is a bit chaotic; things arrive when they are ready and in no special order. When Sancho Panza is your server, things can get a little Quixotic rural quick. Not so in the hands of the capable Guillermo. Do you need th get to the theater? Would you like to create a menu surg and turf with Gambas al Ajillo y Lomo de Buey con Piquillos? Awesome!

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Upon reading about famous Chef Jose Adres, and his several restaurants in the DC area, I made it a must to go to Jaleo - tapas, sangria AND a GF menu! (Most if not all Jose Andre's restaurants have a GF menu) ** you have to ask for the menu though **

It was a nice atmosphere, not too loud, but certainly evocative of a nightlife, hip kind of scene. We made a reservation and although I was initially disappointed to be seated on the WAY back, I ended up being grateful due to the intimacy of the table and secluded feeling it gave my date and I.

We ordered some simple tapas, but DELICIOUS! An omelet, potatoes, chorizo ... mmmm!

No cider which was disappointing but the sangria (which is what you SHOULD be drinking at a tapas restaurant) was ON POINT! Not too strong, not too sweet, just right.

Our server was knowledgable on the big ticket items of the menu, but was not afraid to go and ask questions and return with answers.

Overall, I'd go again! There were definitely other tapas that I had my eye on!

Reviewed October 11, 2018

I live in the DC area, and Jaleo's is a favorite! Jose Andres is an exemplary chef and the tapas are always delicious. Staff is very friendly and attentive--willing to answer queries and explain menu. Chef Andreas is an amazing humanitarian---always assiting those in need!!