“Pupusas and fried yucca”
Review of Tortilla Cafe

Tortilla Cafe
Ranked #305 of 3,322 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$7 - US$15
Cuisines: Latin
Neighbourhood: Capitol Hill
Neighbourhood: Capitol Hill
Reviewed 29 March 2015

This small Salvadorian restaurant, located just across the Eastern Market, is a good place to have tasty and cheap pupusas.
We ordered a combo of pork and cheese pupusas with fried yucca and the Salvadorian breakfast that comes with scrambled eggs, 2 tortillas, refried beans and plantains. Everything was tasty.
Next time I'll try the vigoron.
Good value for money.

Reviewed 24 March 2015

We chose this off of DDD Flavortown and are glad we did!!! In every sense of the word this is a neighborhood dive (treasure)!!! Don't let the interior or paper plates fool you...this is great food at unbelievably low prices.

We tried the cheese and pork pupusa...yummy!

My son said the steak fajitas were the best he ever had!!!

The Salvadoran Beef soup was simple and simply perfect! It reminded me of the beef soup my father used to make. Bring your appetite...it is a BIG bowl.

I thoroughly enjoyed my steak burrito!!!

LOVED THE NEIGHBORHOOD...this was worth the taxi ride from downtown.

Reviewed 12 March 2015

I recently ate here with my mom while visiting DC as a recommendation from a local. It is in a really cute area on Capitol Hill and had some nice outdoor seating. The restaurant itself looks like a hole in the wall, so if that is not your style, this restaurant is NOT for you.

My mom and I shared the chicken nachos (an appetizer) and then the chicken empanada platter with rice and plantains. We loved both of the dishes! For being "fast" food, the chicken was very high quality, much better than you'd get from a chain Mexican restaurant like Chipotle. We loved the plantains and the rice. The salsa and guac had a little too much lime for what we like, but it was still good. The employees were extremely friendly as well. All together, we only spent 14 dollars on our meal (an appetizer, entree, and bottle of water), which I consider a great deal, as it was a ton of food and very tasty.

I highly recommend trying out this restaurant if you are in Washington DC and want a quick, cheap, and delicious meal.

Reviewed 18 February 2015

We found this restaurant via Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and decided to give it a shot while we were in the DC area doing a college tour. The portions were generous and food yummy- especially the Tex-Mex burrito. We also enjoyed the pupusas. Service was good- the woman at the counter was very helpful and made good suggestions as we had not been there before. We would go back if ever in the area again.

1  Thank karin r
Reviewed 17 January 2015

Food was OK - nothing special. For a Mexican place, they gave a lot of food. It wasn't seasoned the best, but was OK for lunch. Prices were average. Margarita's are good.