Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington, Pennsylvania
“Nice”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

My husband and I drove down to do a little sightseeing last week and stayed at this hotel. It was very nice and only about a block from Chinatown. Lots of restaurants close by and a very nice area. I don't think I've ever been to a cleaner city!! We walked everywhere from the hotel. Granted my feet did feel like they were going to fall off but that's more because we were trying to see everything in a day!! Walked as far as the Lincoln Memorial which would have taken about 20 minutes if we had walked straight there!! Awesome trip!! Very nice, comfortable hotel. A little construction noises in the morning, but there is construction going on all over the city so I'm sure it would have been heard anywhere!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bfglee
Jim K, General Manager at Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Dear bfgleason,

Thank you for your great review. I am glad to read that you and your husband enjoyed the hotel as well as the local area. We hope the next time you travel to Washington DC you choose to stay at the Hampton Inn again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York
Reviewed 26 February 2012

This Hotel is pretty nice. The rates are very reasonable for what you get in the area. You are also getting a breakfast which is great when traveling with a family. The breakfast was decent. It had a hot item every day, such as an egg, a meat (ham or Bacon) and sometimes biscuts or French Toast Sticks. They also had two waffle makers. You also will have some cereals, yogurts, oatmeal, fruit salad, and assorted bagels, dounuts, muffins and danishes. The eating area is fairly sized and we had no problem getting a table. The pool was also very nice and kept clean along with a hot tub that can accomadate a dozen people. The only thing I didnt like was that the ceiling tile above the hottub was turning green, possibly mold. Hopefully management will read this and take care of this. Otherwise the area is well kept. It also has an adjoining gym which was pretty well stocked and overlooks the pool which was great to keep an eye on my kids. This Hotel charges for parking, $35 a day, the car is kept underneath the hotel in a very secure area. This is a city so you will pay for parking at most hotels in the arean unless you stay far from the attractions. This will force you to drive every day and pay for parking anyway at a parking garage. Some reviewers complained about work being done at the hotel. It looks like they are renovating entire floors one time. When I was their they were renovating all the rooms on the 2nd floor. This appeared to be going on only during the day. I would suggest calling ahead of your stay and making sure your room is at least 2 floors above any work(this hotel has 13 floors). You will not notice a thing unless you get off the floor the work is being done on. The Hotel itself is about one block away from the chinatown area. It is about a fifteen to twenty minute walk to Smithsonian museums and the capitol and about a twenty five minute walk to the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial. I walked it every day. and loved the exercise. If you want to get closer you will proably pay a lot more. The rooms themselves are up to date, The beds are very comfortable. The room has free Wifi which worked very well. I would definitely consider this place again,

1 Thank QueensMarine
Dear QueensMarine,

Thank you for the review of the Hampton Inn Washington DC Downtown. It is great to read you enjoyed the breakfast, wifi, pool area, and that you were glad that we have secured parking. We hope you choose to stay with us the next time you travel to Washington.
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 26 February 2012

As far as Downtown as DC hotel prices go, for location and amenities, you can't beat this hotel.

Staff was friendly enough, typical clean Hampton room, and the breakfast was more than expected (and included in the price of the room). Breakfast staff was particularly friendly, helpful, and efficient.

The location is a 10-20 minute walk from the National Mall museums or White House and just on the edge of Chinatown/Downtown. Easy, cheap ($1) bus ride (Circulator stop is a half block away) to Georgetown.

We traveled with our two small kids. Read some weird comments here on the surrounding area. Neighborhood is just fine, no worries at all - same atmosphere you find in every big city.

As previous reviewer said, the pool is not heated, but our kids still wanted to swim. The water was cold though.

We would definitely stay here again.

1 Thank john127
Dear John127,

Thank you for the good review of the Hampton Inn Washington DC. I am pleased to read you enjoyed the staff, cleanliness, and breakfast. We hope to see you the next time you travel to Washington.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Really good customer service, and in a good location. Breakfast was okay, but the hot items were less than impressive and the oatmeal was undercooked half of the time during my 12 night stay. The most disappointing aspect was the pool. I stayed in this hotel when it opened and was disappointed because the pool wasn't heated, but I figured it was just overlooked as there was so much chaos during an opening. But now years later the pool still wasn't heated. I did complain, and then checked a few days later and they had evidently turned a heater on, but the temperature of the pool couldn't have been 60 degrees even then. I swim in 70 degree water every day, but I ended up skipping my daily swim while staying at this Hampton because of the temperature of the water. A friend of mine was staying in another Hilton property over on First St NE and indicated the water in that pool was heated so I will probably try that hotel next time.

Room Tip: Pretty noisy from traffic if you have windows on Massachusetts or 6th so ask for a room that doesn...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank 23wearytraveler23
Dear 23wearytraveler23,

Thank you for your review of the Hampton Inn Washington Downtown Convention Center. I am glad to read you enjoyed the customer service provided to you by our team. I am sorry to hear about your disappointment with the pool area. We have adjusted the heater properly as well as installed a thermometer to show the water temperature. I hope you will give us another chance the next time you visit Washington DC.
The Plains
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Stayed here during the Girls' travel volleyball tournament over Presidents' Day weekend. Relatively inexpensive for downtown DC. 5 minute (2 block) walk to the Convention Center. It could not have been easier! There was some renovation on floors 2 & 3 (swimming pool and gym areas, but we were on the 11th floor so there was no issue at all. Beds were reliably superb Hampton Inn beds/covers/pillows. Next best thing to my Tempurpedic at home!!! Complimentary breakfast was as good as I've seen at any Hampton...and they are all better than the rest...just one more reason I stay at Hampton whenever possible. The only downside was the cost of valet parking. Nearby private lots varied from $10 - $20 per day....the hotel was ~$35/day valet. But the car was fairly well secured...no worries about anything unsavory happening. A small price to pay for peace of mind.

Room Tip: Higher is better with the lower floor renovation. The elevators are quick.
1 Thank Shizuka
Jim K, General Manager at Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Dear Shizuka,

Thank you for your nice comments regarding you stay with us. I am glad that you had a good night sleep on our beds and enjoyed the breakfast as well. We hope the next time you travel to Washington you choose to stay at the Hampton Inn.
Decatur, Georgia
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Our family - two adults, two boys - stayed in DC for four nights for some museum hopping. We are not demanding travelers. We want to stay somewhere that is reasonably close to attractions, that is clean, comfortable, and preferably with queen beds (since the boys bunk together when we stay in hotels). When we aren't planning to spend a lot of time in the room, we do not require high-end accommodations. This Hampton Inn fit the bill perfectly for us and the great free breakfast buffet and in-room wi-fi were major bonuses. The location was an easy fifteen minute walk from the Mall and other attractions (we walked to the Lincoln & Jefferson Memorials which are a bit further out, but cabbed it back). There are plenty of restaurants in easy walking distance - a particular fave was Busboys & Poets, which is around the corner. The front desk staff and concierges were always extremely friendly when we came and went. (They also kept all our luggage for us on our last day, when we went out for a few last hours of sightseeing after checkout.) The room wasn't huge, but we were basically only there in the evenings after dinner so it didn't matter. Unlike a previous reviewer, I neither saw nor heard any signs of renovation at the hotel - though much of the city and the Mall was under construction! Anyway, I highly recommend this Inn - I booked it based upon other good reviews, and I'm happy to add mine!

4 Thank Decatur_mom
Dear, Decatur_mom,

Thank you for the great review of the Hampton Inn Washington DC Downtown. I am very pleased to read you and your family enjoyed the breakfast, local area, and most of all the staff. I will share your comments with the team and we hope to see you the next time you are traveling to Washington DC.
Boston, MA
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I Checked in and was not hold there was active renovation. There is constent hammering, which sounds like someone is knocking hard on the door. I can't sleep, and have an early business meeting. Nice hotel, but AVOID until renovations are completed.

• Stayed February 2012
10 Thank JusWannaCleanRm
Dear JusWannaCleanRm,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. Please accept our sincere apologies for the hammering. We were enhancing the hotel with new guestroom carpet and hallway carpet. I will personally reach out to you to make this right. The carpet installation has been completed and we hope that you will give us a second chance.