“I would eat here every week if I lived here”
Review of Open City

Open City
Ranked #98 of 3,383 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Upper Northwest
Reviewed 7 September 2017

This is a great place to eat. Lots of fresh, healthy, tasty food on their menu. The ambiance is casual and busy with lots of charming architectural character. We had to wait awhile before our order was taken, but our kind and friendly server said there was some kind of emergency and she was very sorry for the wait. The food came out fast and everyone enjoyed their breakfast. It reminds me of the old Besaw's (that I miss so much!) in Portland, Oregon's Northwest neighborhood. I will eat at Open City again if I'm anywhere in the vicinity.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,249)

Reviewed 6 September 2017

It was pouring rain and this restaurant was a quick trip from the Woodley Park/Zoo metro stop (which I really appreciated considering the weather). The way it's set up, we were still able to eat in the sun room and get a little fresh air even with the rain. The food was great...lots of interesting flavor mixes...plus there were good choices of sides. The bakery items looked great but since we'd indulged in milkshakes this time, we passed on the other desserts. I was particularly impressed with the kids menu; everything was delicious and done right.

Reviewed 6 September 2017

Although the menu isn't expansive, it is a great, hidden gem! Firstly, it stays open quite late so that is a good thing. The restaurant itself offers indoor and outdoor seating. The food tasted fresh and was quite good. The pricing was a tad expensive but the portions were good.

Reviewed 4 September 2017

We ordered a pepperoni pizza which was mediocre at best. Soggy crust, tasteless cheese, doughy crust. Worse yet, when we asked for the usual parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes the waiter looked at us like "you want what??" Went off and brought back the peppers but then a dish of slivered cheese. Odd. We wanted desert, but a look at what was available, decided to get ice cream cones at the Baskin Robins around the corner. The next morning we grabbed breakfast on our way to the airport. It was fine but nothing to write home about. Not a place I'd go to for any reason other than convenience.

1  Thank LindaC2O
Reviewed 3 September 2017

This is my second time to the Woodley Park location. On this visit we dined in the side enclosed greenhouse. The windows were open, so it did feel as you were dining on the front patio. There is also a main dining room inside. This is a family friendly restaurant, and this summer Saturday evening was no exception. We enjoyed the Veggie Burger, made homemade with lentils and oats and a thin crusted cheese pizza. The pizza portion is large and can easily be shared. The waiters/waitresses work hard, and many of them are local college students. This is a popular coffeehouse/diner/bar. It is great for a casual meal.