“Legit Grilled Cheese!”

Ranked #39 of 3,725 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$10 - US$22
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: GCDC Grilled Cheese Bar is Washington DC's first grilled cheese centric restaurant one half block from the White House and the Renwick Gallery. Family owned and operated for lunch and a cool happy hour and dinner, we serve grilled cheese, mac and cheese, salads and homemade soups with a full busy bar and an outdoor patio right on Pennsylvania Avenue. Please note that on Saturdays we do not offer the make your own option. We are closed on Sunday.Please check our website for special hours. Please note we will be CLOSED on July 2, 3 and 4 so our family can be with their families for the Holiday.
Reviewed November 11, 2018

I know people think grilled cheese sammies are easy to make but we all know that they are not that easy. This place tho has making them down to a science! I chose to make my own and I kept it simple with cheeses and bacon. Added a bowl of tomato soup with it. Both things came out piping hot and they were so so good. The soup was light and fresh and somehow, they succeeded in not making me a greasy sandwich. I could have easily gotten a cup of soup instead of a bowl, the sandwich was more than enough. Overall, I'd come here a million times again!

Date of visit: November 2018
TellBruce, Owner at GCDC Grilled Cheese Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Rose--
Thank you so much for your business and for taking the time to post such a great review--!--
The soup is my son's recipe---so I'm really happy you loved it--
Best wishes and safe travels --

Reviewed November 11, 2018

stopped in while visiting dc and we were pleasantly surprised. the staff was really nice and helpful. i got the all american and tater tots. the owner even came to our table and talked to us. i would recommend this and i will be back.

Hi Phyll--
Im so glad you enjoyed GCDC--and it was a pleasure meeting you!
Safe travels and best wishes for the Holidays

Reviewed November 9, 2018 via mobile

A rainy day got us, needed some good comfort food for lunch. What better than grilled cheese?!?!?! Super friendly staff built our own grilled cheese watched the rain fall and stayed warm inside. Perfect with no lines

Date of visit: November 2018
TellBruce, Owner at GCDC Grilled Cheese Bar, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2018

Hi B--

Thank you so much for your business and for your fantastic review--most of all we are really happy that you enjoyed our food and and friendly staff--that means everything to us.

Best wishes and safe travels

Reviewed October 28, 2018

I was hungry. And tired. Grilled Cheese Bar? That was new to me. Stopped in with my wife. It was a busy place. Prompt, excellent service. I had a grilled smoked apple and gouda cheese sandwich. Truly impressed. Lovely end to a long day playing tourist.

Date of visit: October 2018

Hi CEPP---

I'm so glad you both enjoyed GCDC so much---we love that we can provide a friendly comfortable spot for folks from all over--and hope to see you again.

Best wishes and safe travels

Reviewed October 26, 2018 via mobile

Ate here after seeing this place on TripAdvisor. I had the Apple and Gouda Grilled Cheese with Mac & Cheese as a side. Cheese overload!

It was absolutely great. Bread was perfectly crispy and the cheese was melted perfectly. Best grilled cheese I’ve ever had.

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank Vandyb29

Hi Vandyb--

Wow!--thanks for your business and great review--we are so happy you loved our little family owned shop!

Best wishes and safe travels--