“Amazing Margaritas!!! Wonderful Guacamole!”

Impala Cantina y Taqueria
Ranked #1,066 of 3,322 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 25 February 2017 via mobile

We found this amazing Mexican food in the heart of DC, and being a Texan girl, I didn't think that was possible!!!! The owner himself came to our table and made us feel like family. The margaritas were out of this world and the pico de gallo was super fresh with the homemade chips. We will be back!!

Reviewed 24 January 2017

Impala Cantina y Taqueria is well-decorated, has nice servers, and is on the H Street corridor. I really wanted to like it, but I'm a southwesterner and the food is classic subpar east coast "Mexican" food. Californians, Arizonans, New Mexicans, and anyone else who loves the good stuff: don't listen to your friends from Connecticut, RUN AWAY!

In general, the level of spice and complexity of flavor is at about 30% of where it should be. The taco meat is dry or soggy but universally tasteless, the tortillas are from a bag, and their salsa is bland. The chile relleno I got was a sad, limp, undercooked shell. My friend's was burnt. The chimichurri on the carne asada tasted like they ran out of oregano, and the margaritas...good lord. I agree, I don't think they use sour mix but they also don't understand that you need to include the orange kick like Triple Sec for a good margarita. It tasted like limeade with tequila in it and I'm calling shenanigans.

I really wanted to like this place but it's one more stop where the best thing on the menu is the elote.

Reviewed 17 August 2016

The good here is good, I make sure I order the fundido every time. The taco selections are very good as well. However, it is the margaritas that bring me back. They make them fresh every day with limes, no mix or fake stuff. They are delicious and go down smoothly, but watch out for that second one, it will kick you in the behind. Take the trolley!

Reviewed 5 August 2016

What a great place. The food was very good and the atmosphere was electic. I am from out of town. Impala's was suggested by our host. It was a great choice.

Reviewed 25 April 2016

This restaurant is on a busy street of H Street NE, an area that has seen a welcome revival over the past few years in its food scene. The restaurant has a nice atmosphere, with the clientele skewing younger like many other places on H Street.

The wait staff were very friendly and responsive, but the maitre d' station was unattended for long periods on a busy night which seems inexplicable, causing a back up at the door, even though many tables were free. The food itself also took quite a long time to arrive, but the waitress apologized for that and was prompt with the drinks and guacamole. The very good wait staff make up for the otherwise somewhat underwhelming service.

As for the food itself, the variety of options was interesting. The quality of all dishes in our group were consistently very good, and there was clearly an effort at authenticity that makes it worth the visit.