See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Bill, the owner, makes the whole experience of getting to and from the hostel a breeze. Our flight was delayed by 8 hours and he was kind enough to stay up late to check us in and collect us from the metro. He's really helpful and friendly and always on hand to help. Th

e hostel itself is comfortable with clean towels and linens and double bed sized bunks. The decor is a little tired and it's by no means luxurious but if you're an experienced traveller and prepared for it to be a little rough around the edges, you'll be fine. We really liked the neighbourhood and found people friendly. We enjoyed the walk into the centre of Washington DC via trendy H Street. For the price, you can't beat this place, just don't expect it to be pristine.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 4, 2014

I spent 5 days at this hostel and I really enjoyed my time there. Bill is a really nice person and the bathrooms were cleaned really often. But its not like a normal hostel it's more like a house with lots of beds. But that mean not too much people around and a comfortable livingroom .
There is just one thing that is not good. The neighborhood is not really good so better you come there and go if it's not dark outside. But nothing happened to me when I was there and I really enjoyed my stay there

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Capital City host Bill is really kind, helpful, considerate, running the best hostel hosting business, in my opinion. . I lived there for days, very comfortable! The best service compared with other hostels I have stayed before,and the lowest price you can ever get--$20 !

Bill may be not famous on the website, but if you come to this real world, you see how much people have appreciate for his service-- hand writing Thank you notes, cards all over the walls doors, from all over the world. Here, Just live for a day or so, you understand why people appreciate his thoughtful, kind services.

Here, visitors live in harmony, shared kitchen, bathrooms clean. I felt i had taken so much of advantage for all his service. Also, a very special service to be mentioned: Here provide laundry service: hand a load of dirty cloth, come back to you all freshly washed by your own load with only $5. Where can you find such wonderful service in the world! I want to give my hearty thanks here to bill, and want to help many other traveler to make their hostel selections.

Thank you tripadvisor for the opportunity to share my view!

Rebecca

Room Tip: This is a hostel, not hotel, no swimming pool, no fitness center, But a practical low price of $20 for travelers to find a place to stay, and meet wonderful people! So before you book hostel you should know your expectations, so you will not disappointed: A hostel can not provide 5 star hotel service! .
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I had a really enjoyable stay. Like Mike F says down below, this area is really not as bad as other reviewers make it out to be as long as you have an open mind. There's really good grungy Chinese food and Pakistani food next door if that's your thing.

Shout out to the awesome peeps I hung out with: Matthew from Australia, George from New York, Sylvester from Nigeria. Really great hostel atmosphere where everyone is sharing travel stories. Recommended more for solo travelers than couples.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Capitol City Hostel has a really pleasant vibe, which you can probably gather from the other reviews, is in the main part to do with Bob...really lovely guy, very forthcoming with any information you need. I stayed in the second house a few doors down and had plenty of space in the huge room at the front. The Wifi works just fine and the kitchen is useable if a little small but all in all, its a well functioning hostel. I just felt that the hostel needed a heavy spring clean, everything just felt and smelt a little musty...Mary Poppins would do wonders here.

In addition, whilst its certainly easy to get downtown from the hostel (cross the road and take the bus directly to the White House), the area didn't really feel too safe and I looked a little out of place on the bus on the way in every morning.

I personally wouldn't have any problems staying here again, but for the purposes of the wider Trip Advisor population, it may not be for some.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo