“The worst hostel I've been”

Capitol City Hostel
Capitol City Hostel
Reviewed 1 June 2016 via mobile

This hostel is a house located on a nice neighborhood, very close to restaurants and at a walkable distance to the city's attractions.
The accomodation is not good at all. The beds and building are old and not quite clean.
The window's shades does not cover all the window so you won't be able to sleep a lot.
The staff is not that helpful as you may notice from other reviewers as well.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends

Reviewed 4 July 2015

It cheaper than any other hostel in Washington so you can imagine what you'll get. It was better than I expected but still, if I ever go back to Washington I'd rather pay 40$ more and sleep in a real hostel. Breakfast is actually only coffee, parking is 5$ extra, the area is far from downtown (if you don't have a car you can't walk anywhere) and we were scared to walk around at night time. The owner was nice and it was clean enough but we had to sleep with other two old men (we were two girls) and a creepy chinese that yelled at us and walked around half naked. If you are on a budget and you don't care about hygiene or privacy this place is good enough for you.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 May 2015

the management is super helpful and friendly. They gave us great suggestions and directions. The hostel is right by the bus stop which takes you directly into downtown to see the museums and monuments. Great big beds and good aircon. You get a discount if you share the bed with your loved one.

Room Tip: Share a bed to save dough
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2015

I Stayed at the Capitol City Hostel for 3 nights, in may 2009. Though Bill was very kind and helpfull and met some nice people, if I knew then what I knew now, I woudn't stay here.

First of all is quite far from the center. A long ride in the H2 from downtown, or a 20 min walk to the subway leave you far from all the things you want to visit.

The Neighbourhood is scary, specially at night. I must say was a bit scared when I left the bus and start looking arround for the hostel.

But altough it wasn't the best of neighbourhoods, I didn't had any problem and walked around everyday, one night I even walked all the way to the Capitol with an australian friend i met there and we had no problems.

The worst for me was the hostel itself. It was dirty, quite dirty I must say. The rooms needed an urgent cleaning, the kitchen also and let's not talk about the showers and toiletts.

I've been in hostels and some lowcost hotels around the world in my days, and this one will always be one of the least cleaned hostel I've been.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank PedroGreen76
Reviewed 24 February 2015

We spent two nights here and that was enough. The neighborhood is pretty bad, we felt very unsafe even during daytime. The common area and the dorm rooms were not clean, the bathroom was even worse. All in all not a good experience, though it was pretty cheap. In the end you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Simi R
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Despite what the other reviews say, my 2-night stay at this hostel was the worst I've ever had - and I'd say I stayed in about 25 hostels all over the world during my travels so far. Firstly, the neighbourhood is dodgy and it doesn't feel safe at all (the cornershop has a bullet-proof glass between counters and customers, just so that you can paint a picture...),

second, the check-in went really bad. We had a reservation made through HostelBookers.com for three people, however the housekeeper was not there when we arrived and there was another guy to check us in. He said "Bill" only informed him of one person arriving - so he began arguing with us about the reservation. After about 20 minutes of discussion, he proposed to put me and my boyfriend on one bed, and a friend of us on another one - cause apparently one bed was missing for us.

And third, to top it up, the room where we were staying with my boyfriend in the end was just terrible. It was a basement room, terribly smelling of cigarettes and something unidentifiable, maybe just the smell of a room where there is no window and you put four people in there...

So, to sum up, DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOSTEL, even though it is very cheap, it is not worth the saved money.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jana K
Reviewed 12 July 2014

this hostel was cheap and a bed for the night (or three), but it was pretty dirty, difficult to find and far out from where you woud probably wanna be if visiting DC. The owner is lovely, and helpful, but the one thing that absolutely ruined it for us was a certain other 'guest' who had been essentially living at the hostel for six months but snored so loudly it absolutely ruined our stay. The walls were sheets, so we could hear everything going on in other rooms oO... and the bathroom was dirty. I don't expect a lot from hostels...but I thought this was simply below par. It wouldng take a lot to clean the place and get either a new wall or something else more substantial than a sheet. HOWEVER. If you aren't fussy about things like that then go nuts it does the job if you got no dollar

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends