“Good location; fair rooms”

Grand Hyatt Washington
Ranked #71 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Great location adjacent to the metro and and near all the sites. The charge for internet is ridiculous - why do the upper end hotels charge and the economy hotels offer it for free? Parking is a hassle if you are driving in - we arrived late and at the drop off area were signs saying self park and valet park were all full - had to drive around to a public parking garage at 11 PM! Rooms need updating, but were reasonably comfortable. The bathroom was very dark - need more lighting in the shower and it was impossible to put on makeup. Requested non allergic pillows after the first night. Housekeeping left us 3 small square pillows similar in size to sofa throw pillows and left the feather pillows in the room. Really, who sleeps on this size pillow? Please invest in normal sized sleeping pillows - these little ones are NOT comfortable.

Staff is generally friendly and knowledgeable. The separate gym is the best I've experienced at a hotel, probably because it is a separately owned and managed facility. But if you want good equipment to work out, this is excellent. It's the only reason I would go back here.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank lildeb43
There are newer reviews for Grand Hyatt Washington

Reviewed 11 April 2012

The hotel was nice at the start , mike checked me right in very friendly , then we went to our room , the room was nice & had a good view of the lobby. Then this is the start of we're they lost me, I went to the lobby level diner to eat first seat I sat on was broke , so I told the server she just smiled & said ok, then after we order our drinks we noticed food under our table so I informed our server (Samuel) that we would be leaving because of food under table do please cancel the sodas.I went to leave with the kids & he tried to get me to just sit down and drink my soda he must of asked me to drink the sodas 3 times, he should of said sorry let me move u to another table, then clean that up, but not one time did he say that, so I went to Capitol city to eat, it's right across the street. We did have dinner at cute the bistro, this was by far the best thing about the hotel , every server in there was so accommodating , I got 5 star service at a bistro , thank you to them all sorry I don't know there names because they have no name tags, but all that worked this night was at my table atleast 1 time if I needed something. After I checked out I went to the door person to get my luggage & car he informed me I had to go back in to get my own luggage, when I got inside Neil the bellperson grabbed my ticket and said is this the luggage were looking for? This suprised me not a hello good afternoon , nothing at all I said I just walked in to get it , come to find out the other guest walked out of the back with her own luggage that was misplaced, now for my luggage , Neil comes out and hands me my bags with no ? Of do I need help with my luggage to the car he took luggage tag off and stood there for his tip , Wich I did give him for bringing to me he could of got more if he atleast offered help to the car. Now the last part I go outside to get my car & my valet attend asked for my receipt I paid I asked him to wait a minute as I get it out of my bag I had to drag out myself, he asked me 3 more times as I'm trying to get it out, then I asked for his manager I don't wanna be harrased as I'm trying to get out my paperwork, he thins says sir phone for you, how unprofessional, I spoke to his manager by phone, as my car arrives( Jorge ) is the valet who brought my car to me was so nice and friendly he should be the face out there, now my car had grease on the door & I had a white liquid that dripped on my car from the garage during my 1 night stay,Jorge said sorry I did not park it under the dripping spot, he offered to wash it off but I told him I would do it, just offer to fix what you messed up is all I ask for $40.00 a night , I work in the hotel industry I do the doorman/ bellperson job I also valet park at times were are told to own the situation and fix the problem they should teach this to all there except for the staff at cure the bistro ,mike at the front desk & Jorge at valet..

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Ducktownkid
HyattGuestRelations, guest relations associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We're very sorry to hear that your experience was less than spectacular. This is not the level of service we strive for at Hyatt. Please feel free to contact us if you would like to discuss your stay in further detail. We hope to hear from you.

Chrissi R.- A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 9 April 2012

Located at Penn Center in Washington DC, the Hyatt is a contemporary, modern, atrium-style hotel with all the modern comforts. It offers an array of services and restaurants, including a Starbuck's in the lobby, and an excellent bar and restaurant. During my stay, I had spacious in-ward facing room with a comfortable bed, a well-appointed bathroom, and small desk for work. The hotel seemed full of business folks, tourists, and conference attendees. But the hotel seemed to function efficiently with very little noise and no commotion. A breakfast buffet available in the Grand Café downstairs offered a good selection of breakfast items, including freshly prepared omlettes. The area around the hotel also had lots of eating options if you prefer to go out for your meals, especially at night. If you opt to remain on site, there is a Sports Bar and a more upscaled Bistro-type restaurant.

While there is a discounted access to the adjoining health club, the hotel does not seem to have an exercise room. An oddity given the size of the facilities. Internet service was available at a significant charge; not sure if the cost is worth it.

Although I was on a business trip, the Hyatt seemed centrally located for tourism activities. The White House was not far; several museums were near; Chinatown was close. On my next trip, I will plan for some tourism time.

Definitely,a good location for short stays while on business. Not sure if I would recommend for families.

Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Pucela08
Reviewed 8 April 2012

We just returned from 4 days at the Grand Hyatt Metro Center. Super easy to get there from Reagan National...just hopped on the Blue Line Metro, and there's access to the nearby station within the lobby. Our room wasn't ready yet, but we were able to drop our bags so we could go explore. The front desk called us promptly to let us know our room was available. When we arrived several hours later, we found our room on a lower level floor facing 10th Street. This gave us a peripheral view of St Patrick's Cathedral, and also the construction noted by others. The room had plenty of space for my daughter and I, including a minifridge, coffee maker, hair dryer and nice-sized TV. There are several dining options within the hotel, including a Starbucks, with a sandwich/salad place attached and open for breakfast and lunch. There's also a nicer restaurant for lunch and dinner, a sports bar with decent options (but the least capable service we experienced) and the standard hotel restaurant with a nice (but pricey) breakfast buffet. Once you're ready to explore, the mall and White House are within walking distance. Having the Metro so close made getting to Arlington Cemetery, the Capitol and Union Station a snap. Ford's Theater is two blocks down the street. We did get back late one night after a Trolley Tour and the neighborhood was a bit sketchy. As for the construction, I could hear it through the windows, but leaving the fan running in the room helped block the street noise. Very comfortable room after long days sightseeing. I'd definitely recommend this hotel if you're heading to DC

Room Tip: Try not to face H. There are rooms facing the atrium that are probably quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank googlymoogly014
Reviewed 8 April 2012

The location is great. The lobby is beautiful.

This is a very large hotel that seems best suited for huge conventions and processing large number of guests.

The rooms were a bit disappointing/bland for the price. Paid a 5 star price and got a 3 star room. The furniture and decor seemed cheap and austere and in need of upgrading. Bed was OK but not as comfortable as other hotels in same class range. The rooms are not very sound proof and I could hear conversations next door and in the hall. No extras in the room that one expects nowadays from nicer hotels, like magnifying mirrors and decent selection of bath amenities. My room would not cool down despite setting the thermostat to 65. When I asked for another room I was told they were full and could not move me.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Promontory
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I travel often for business, mostly to LA but recently to DC as well. Overall, great stay, friendly staff and comfortable bar & bistro attached.
Expected a little more bang for my buck in terms of the room size and set up, but other than that, no complaints.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank VR_Bianchi
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Overall a very nice experience staying here during a conference. Hotel amenities were excellent, guest room was well appointed and comfortable, and there was a lovely atmosphere in the main hotel areas. By far the best part of the stay was the staff, who were always incredibly friendly and helpful. The location is great-- walking distance to major tourist sites and museums. The only minor negative was the lighting in the guest room-- the bathroom light was pretty poor and, having a window that faced the interior of the hotel, the room did not get any sunlight at any point in the day.

Room Tip: If you prefer a room that gets natural light, definitely ask for a room with windows that face outsi...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2012

I appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay at our property. I am glad you had an excellent stay. It sounds like your found your room to be comfortable and the staff to be extremely helpful. I will make sure to pass your comment on regarding the lighting in your room. Your comments are greatly appreciated. We hope to welcome you back for another stay in the future!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate