“Great Hotel, but Internet was not reliable”

Grand Hyatt Washington
Ranked #72 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“Great Hotel, but Internet was not reliable”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

My husband was attending a conference and we stayed at this hotel. I was a bit concerned about bed bugs due to other reviews, but we did not have any issues. The hotel is very "grand" with a beautiful lobby and spacious rooms. Internet access is not included in the room cost. We purchased wifi access, but were unable to connect. The hotel could not resolve the connection problem and directed us to technical support. Technical support was very rude and we were on the phone with them for about 3 hours! My husband actually missed part of the conference. He really needed the internet access for a work project. I also heard other people complaining of internet issues.
The hotel manager finally gave us a device (a sort of wifi card) to connect to the internet. They also deducted the internet charge and gave a small percentage off of the room charge.
If not for the internet connectivity issues, this would have been an awesome hotel. However, the internet is crucial for a lot of business travelers and most cannot waste time on the phone with tech support. I am thankful that the manager resolved our problem. I would only hesitate to stay here if I absolutely needed internet service. Otherwise it is a fine hotel in a great area close to the convention center and Chinatown.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Mango_Trees

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (758)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brockton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Stayed three nights April 2, 3, 4 and walked to everything I wanted to see. Paid around $200 a night, did not use room service. I thought the breakfast was a little pricey. I did not eat at the restaurants, too many great places within walking distance with reasonable prices. I arrived early and the hotel graciously allowed early check-in. Concierge was very helpful in arranging a night tour of DC. The city was very busy with kids visiting during spring break. There was a lovely arranged spray of cherry blossoms in the lobby, and since the ones around the Tidal Basin bloomed early, this was the only photo of the blossoms that I got :o) Great and easy access to DCA -- right downstairs from the hotel lobby the Metro line goes straight to the airport. From the time I left the hotel, got my boarding pass, went through security -- and arrived at my gate, 45 minutes.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far away from the noisy ice and soda machines!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
NJ
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt in December 2011 - it was a short stay, only three nights, and we were traveling with our children (ages 11 & 13). It is nice and clean, well run and centrally located, but we did have one complaint. On this visit, we asked for a suite, or adjoining rooms if possible. We were given a suite, and the rooms were absolutely huge, but completely outdated. We have stayed at many other Hyatts and they have all been recently renovated. The rooms we were assigned had old bedspreads, old carpeting, old drapes, old light fixtures, etc. It looked like it hadn't been touched since the late 1970's, and it almost seemed like we were in a different hotel when we stepped into our room. It was tucked away at the end of a hallway, so it was very quiet. Not sure how many other rooms were like ours, but if you need a suite, be sure to ask if it has been updated! Other than that, the stay was fine. Hyatt is a solid chain, and the Grand Hyatt upheld the reputation. Staff was pleasant and helpful, food was good - we are Platinum members, so we only grabbed breakfast at the Regency Club - bagels, coffee, fruit, yogurt, etc. It seemed a bit smaller and more cramped than other Regency Clubs, but it was during the holiday season, so maybe it was just really crowded! The location is perfect. There is valet parking if you have a car. There is a METRO station directly under the hotel, and you can gain access right from the lobby. Just a short walk to the National Mall, the museums and the Washington Monument. Also nearby is The Hotel Washington which has spectaular views of the city from the rooftop restaurant. Good choice for a downtown DC visit.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank LuvOurBullDog
Nashville
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Spent 4 nights, including Easter weekend, with my 11-year-old. I found the room to be clean and comfortable. Our room overlooked the Atrium. It was a nice view, but was a little noisy at times. People talking or laughing loudly carries to the upper floors (we were on the 6th floor). I found that setting the fan on the AC system to stay on constantly provided enough white noise to drown out the voices from the lobby. We visited several on-site restaurants - Grand Slam Sports Bar, Grand Cafe, Starbucks and Zephyr Deli and enjoyed them all. We decided to try some of the desserts at the Grand Cafe one afternoon, and found the service to be a bit slow. The breakfast buffet is nice, but overpriced. The hotel and restuarant staff were all pleasant and helpful. Kid friendly movies were shown in a conference rooms on Saturday and Sunday nights. I don't know if this is a regular thing or was just for the holiday weekend. We were out seeing the sights on Saturday, but saw the Sunday movie, where we were given free popcorn. It was very nice for the kids. The hotel is conveniently located for sight seeing. It was an easy walk to the Mall and the White House. Loved the convenience of having access to the Metro Center Station inside the hotel. I would definitely stay at the Grand Hyatt again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Bobo912
France
Reviewed 13 April 2012

A large academic conference in this vast hotel of two wings joined by a spectacular glass roof. A conference price of close to $300 per night (incl. tax) works out at a normal price of $100 or more over that for ordinary mortals. The rooms are large and good, the beds very good, no armchair but a good desk chair. Services very good and unobtrusive, concierge and shoeshine excellent but absent much of the time, didn't have time for pool or gym. The restaurant/bar The Cure is one of the hotel's best features: superb crab soup, wonderful chicken livers and a really good lunch menu where one combines various small dishes into one tray order -- just splendid. Coffee shop/breakfast restaurant pleasant, breakfast buffet huge and immensely varied. The location is good -- not far from tourist sites; and altogether it has the feel of a thoroughly comfortable, well-run hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Rhode Island
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Great location adjacent to the metro and and near all the sites. The charge for internet is ridiculous - why do the upper end hotels charge and the economy hotels offer it for free? Parking is a hassle if you are driving in - we arrived late and at the drop off area were signs saying self park and valet park were all full - had to drive around to a public parking garage at 11 PM! Rooms need updating, but were reasonably comfortable. The bathroom was very dark - need more lighting in the shower and it was impossible to put on makeup. Requested non allergic pillows after the first night. Housekeeping left us 3 small square pillows similar in size to sofa throw pillows and left the feather pillows in the room. Really, who sleeps on this size pillow? Please invest in normal sized sleeping pillows - these little ones are NOT comfortable.

Staff is generally friendly and knowledgeable. The separate gym is the best I've experienced at a hotel, probably because it is a separately owned and managed facility. But if you want good equipment to work out, this is excellent. It's the only reason I would go back here.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank lildeb43
Reviewed 11 April 2012

The hotel was nice at the start , mike checked me right in very friendly , then we went to our room , the room was nice & had a good view of the lobby. Then this is the start of we're they lost me, I went to the lobby level diner to eat first seat I sat on was broke , so I told the server she just smiled & said ok, then after we order our drinks we noticed food under our table so I informed our server (Samuel) that we would be leaving because of food under table do please cancel the sodas.I went to leave with the kids & he tried to get me to just sit down and drink my soda he must of asked me to drink the sodas 3 times, he should of said sorry let me move u to another table, then clean that up, but not one time did he say that, so I went to Capitol city to eat, it's right across the street. We did have dinner at cute the bistro, this was by far the best thing about the hotel , every server in there was so accommodating , I got 5 star service at a bistro , thank you to them all sorry I don't know there names because they have no name tags, but all that worked this night was at my table atleast 1 time if I needed something. After I checked out I went to the door person to get my luggage & car he informed me I had to go back in to get my own luggage, when I got inside Neil the bellperson grabbed my ticket and said is this the luggage were looking for? This suprised me not a hello good afternoon , nothing at all I said I just walked in to get it , come to find out the other guest walked out of the back with her own luggage that was misplaced, now for my luggage , Neil comes out and hands me my bags with no ? Of do I need help with my luggage to the car he took luggage tag off and stood there for his tip , Wich I did give him for bringing to me he could of got more if he atleast offered help to the car. Now the last part I go outside to get my car & my valet attend asked for my receipt I paid I asked him to wait a minute as I get it out of my bag I had to drag out myself, he asked me 3 more times as I'm trying to get it out, then I asked for his manager I don't wanna be harrased as I'm trying to get out my paperwork, he thins says sir phone for you, how unprofessional, I spoke to his manager by phone, as my car arrives( Jorge ) is the valet who brought my car to me was so nice and friendly he should be the face out there, now my car had grease on the door & I had a white liquid that dripped on my car from the garage during my 1 night stay,Jorge said sorry I did not park it under the dripping spot, he offered to wash it off but I told him I would do it, just offer to fix what you messed up is all I ask for $40.00 a night , I work in the hotel industry I do the doorman/ bellperson job I also valet park at times were are told to own the situation and fix the problem they should teach this to all there except for the staff at cure the bistro ,mike at the front desk & Jorge at valet..

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Ducktownkid
HyattGuestRelations, guest relations associate at Grand Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We're very sorry to hear that your experience was less than spectacular. This is not the level of service we strive for at Hyatt. Please feel free to contact us if you would like to discuss your stay in further detail. We hope to hear from you.

Chrissi R.- A Guest Relations Associate