“Wonderful service, but only choose if you get a good rate...”

Grand Hyatt Washington
Ranked #71 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City
“Wonderful service, but only choose if you get a good rate...”

CONDITIONS OF THE TRIP:

- 2 people
- 1 night stay in a kin- bed standard room at a AAA rate of $89/night (!)
- Stay was a Saturday night
- registered as "honeymoon couple"

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

This hotel is located in an extremely convenient location for sight-seeing, a relatively close walk (for those that don't mind a 5-10 minute hike) from the National Mall, Ford's Theater (right around the corner), and other landmarks. Arriving by metro, the first thing you note is that the hotel has a direct entrance from the Metro Center stop meaning that if you are traveling with a lot of luggage, you won't have to deal with escalators/stairs to the street.

Upon arrival in the hotel, you'll find the HUGE lobby (a Hyatt staple) which has a large lake-like area of water, restaurant/eateries, and the reception area. Many of the hotel's rooms overlook the lobby area. There is also a store where you can purchase the usual toiletries, candy, etc.

RECEPTION:

As noted before, we had this reservation as a "honeymoon" trip, and technically, since it was the first trip we took after our wedding, I had no problem calling it that (we figure we have a year to celebrate it). The woman who took our reservation was EXTREMELY nice, offering us congratulations and overall just having a wonderful attitude. I cannot tell you how much that makes a difference (for contrast, see my Hyatt Regency Garden Grove review). Checking in was smooth.

THE ROOM:

Here I can only say that at the rate of $89/night (which seems to be quite exceptional, which I'll talk about later), this room was great. While it was close to the elevator (resulting in hearing the back and forth of guests), it was rather large, and contained a sofa, sofa-chair, AND table. The bathroom was standard for these types of hotels. The decor was your basic Hyatt look of browns and dark greens. It was also clean and water-pressure was good in the bathroom. It also contained the usual amenities.

EXCEPTIONAL SERVICE:

I hate to judge the service too much because our experience was probably not normal. Upon returning from our room from sight-seeing, we found a BOTTLE OF CHAMPAGNE AND CHOCOLATE-COVERED STRAWBERRIES compliments of the hotel to celebrate our special occasion. In addition (and to me the really impressive part) was that the wonderful woman who checked us in (as a note, she was African-American and I believe her name started with "D"). She sent us a 2nd BOTTLE OF CHAMPAGNE to celebrate our honeymoon. I don't know if this was a mistake or not, but she signed her name on a nice card herself, so it tells us it was her idea.

In addition, the next morning we ordered room-service for breakfast, and the delivery was quick and polite.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Like I said, we were able to get this room at $89/night for a Saturday night stay. At that kind of price, this hotel was an amazing bargain. But alas, that does not seem to be normal by any means. Even looking up random Saturdays next November I only find $149 a night. Many nights you cannot find a room for under $250/night. As my wife and I have family in DC, we often are staying at hotels, and only once have we stayed here (for the $150 to $250 range I'd much rather stay at one of the many Kimpton hotels in the area, where the internet is free and hotels are more interesting. In fact if you are staying in the area the Grand Hyatt is located, look into the Hotel Monaco, which has an even better location and can often be the same price as the Hyatt. Come to think of it, the Kimpton chain offering free internet to it's rewards members and a complimentary cocktail hour pretty much trumps any Hyatt in the same price range).

The incredible service we received here the night we stayed has given us hope for the Hyatt brand despite some other bad experiences. And if this hotel can be had for under $140, I heartily recommend you choose it. However, if you find a rate any higher than $200 for a standard room, I would say to definitely NOT stay here. Looking at a random day in June '12 I find a single night for the same kind of room we had going for $399/night. That is absolutely absurd.

Overall, this is a solid hotel if had at the right price, but wait for a deal before you give it a try.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the lobby and AWAY from the elevator.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TravelinDandy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (762)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boston, MA
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Stayed at this hotel while attending a college day with our daughter. Very centrally located, walking distance to plenty of restaurants and historical sights but the best thing was the Metro Center located under the hotel. The rooms are just average and the bathroom lighting is terrible. We booked a room with two double beds two months before our stay and when we checked in they told us the only room they had with two double beds was a handicapped room. It wasn't a problem, but we didn't book the room yesterday. Stay here if you want convenience to restaurants and the metro.

Room Tip: We had a room not facing the atrium and in the back so it was pretty quiet
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank trotBoston
New York
Reviewed 14 April 2012

My husband was attending a conference and we stayed at this hotel. I was a bit concerned about bed bugs due to other reviews, but we did not have any issues. The hotel is very "grand" with a beautiful lobby and spacious rooms. Internet access is not included in the room cost. We purchased wifi access, but were unable to connect. The hotel could not resolve the connection problem and directed us to technical support. Technical support was very rude and we were on the phone with them for about 3 hours! My husband actually missed part of the conference. He really needed the internet access for a work project. I also heard other people complaining of internet issues.
The hotel manager finally gave us a device (a sort of wifi card) to connect to the internet. They also deducted the internet charge and gave a small percentage off of the room charge.
If not for the internet connectivity issues, this would have been an awesome hotel. However, the internet is crucial for a lot of business travelers and most cannot waste time on the phone with tech support. I am thankful that the manager resolved our problem. I would only hesitate to stay here if I absolutely needed internet service. Otherwise it is a fine hotel in a great area close to the convention center and Chinatown.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Mango_Trees
Brockton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Stayed three nights April 2, 3, 4 and walked to everything I wanted to see. Paid around $200 a night, did not use room service. I thought the breakfast was a little pricey. I did not eat at the restaurants, too many great places within walking distance with reasonable prices. I arrived early and the hotel graciously allowed early check-in. Concierge was very helpful in arranging a night tour of DC. The city was very busy with kids visiting during spring break. There was a lovely arranged spray of cherry blossoms in the lobby, and since the ones around the Tidal Basin bloomed early, this was the only photo of the blossoms that I got :o) Great and easy access to DCA -- right downstairs from the hotel lobby the Metro line goes straight to the airport. From the time I left the hotel, got my boarding pass, went through security -- and arrived at my gate, 45 minutes.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far away from the noisy ice and soda machines!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
NJ
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt in December 2011 - it was a short stay, only three nights, and we were traveling with our children (ages 11 & 13). It is nice and clean, well run and centrally located, but we did have one complaint. On this visit, we asked for a suite, or adjoining rooms if possible. We were given a suite, and the rooms were absolutely huge, but completely outdated. We have stayed at many other Hyatts and they have all been recently renovated. The rooms we were assigned had old bedspreads, old carpeting, old drapes, old light fixtures, etc. It looked like it hadn't been touched since the late 1970's, and it almost seemed like we were in a different hotel when we stepped into our room. It was tucked away at the end of a hallway, so it was very quiet. Not sure how many other rooms were like ours, but if you need a suite, be sure to ask if it has been updated! Other than that, the stay was fine. Hyatt is a solid chain, and the Grand Hyatt upheld the reputation. Staff was pleasant and helpful, food was good - we are Platinum members, so we only grabbed breakfast at the Regency Club - bagels, coffee, fruit, yogurt, etc. It seemed a bit smaller and more cramped than other Regency Clubs, but it was during the holiday season, so maybe it was just really crowded! The location is perfect. There is valet parking if you have a car. There is a METRO station directly under the hotel, and you can gain access right from the lobby. Just a short walk to the National Mall, the museums and the Washington Monument. Also nearby is The Hotel Washington which has spectaular views of the city from the rooftop restaurant. Good choice for a downtown DC visit.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank LuvOurBullDog
Nashville
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Spent 4 nights, including Easter weekend, with my 11-year-old. I found the room to be clean and comfortable. Our room overlooked the Atrium. It was a nice view, but was a little noisy at times. People talking or laughing loudly carries to the upper floors (we were on the 6th floor). I found that setting the fan on the AC system to stay on constantly provided enough white noise to drown out the voices from the lobby. We visited several on-site restaurants - Grand Slam Sports Bar, Grand Cafe, Starbucks and Zephyr Deli and enjoyed them all. We decided to try some of the desserts at the Grand Cafe one afternoon, and found the service to be a bit slow. The breakfast buffet is nice, but overpriced. The hotel and restuarant staff were all pleasant and helpful. Kid friendly movies were shown in a conference rooms on Saturday and Sunday nights. I don't know if this is a regular thing or was just for the holiday weekend. We were out seeing the sights on Saturday, but saw the Sunday movie, where we were given free popcorn. It was very nice for the kids. The hotel is conveniently located for sight seeing. It was an easy walk to the Mall and the White House. Loved the convenience of having access to the Metro Center Station inside the hotel. I would definitely stay at the Grand Hyatt again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Bobo912
France
Reviewed 13 April 2012

A large academic conference in this vast hotel of two wings joined by a spectacular glass roof. A conference price of close to $300 per night (incl. tax) works out at a normal price of $100 or more over that for ordinary mortals. The rooms are large and good, the beds very good, no armchair but a good desk chair. Services very good and unobtrusive, concierge and shoeshine excellent but absent much of the time, didn't have time for pool or gym. The restaurant/bar The Cure is one of the hotel's best features: superb crab soup, wonderful chicken livers and a really good lunch menu where one combines various small dishes into one tray order -- just splendid. Coffee shop/breakfast restaurant pleasant, breakfast buffet huge and immensely varied. The location is good -- not far from tourist sites; and altogether it has the feel of a thoroughly comfortable, well-run hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business