CONDITIONS OF THE TRIP:
- 2 people
- 1 night stay in a kin- bed standard room at a AAA rate of $89/night (!)
- Stay was a Saturday night
- registered as "honeymoon couple"
This hotel is located in an extremely convenient location for sight-seeing, a relatively close walk (for those that don't mind a 5-10 minute hike) from the National Mall, Ford's Theater (right around the corner), and other landmarks. Arriving by metro, the first thing you note is that the hotel has a direct entrance from the Metro Center stop meaning that if you are traveling with a lot of luggage, you won't have to deal with escalators/stairs to the street.
Upon arrival in the hotel, you'll find the HUGE lobby (a Hyatt staple) which has a large lake-like area of water, restaurant/eateries, and the reception area. Many of the hotel's rooms overlook the lobby area. There is also a store where you can purchase the usual toiletries, candy, etc.
As noted before, we had this reservation as a "honeymoon" trip, and technically, since it was the first trip we took after our wedding, I had no problem calling it that (we figure we have a year to celebrate it). The woman who took our reservation was EXTREMELY nice, offering us congratulations and overall just having a wonderful attitude. I cannot tell you how much that makes a difference (for contrast, see my Hyatt Regency Garden Grove review). Checking in was smooth.
Here I can only say that at the rate of $89/night (which seems to be quite exceptional, which I'll talk about later), this room was great. While it was close to the elevator (resulting in hearing the back and forth of guests), it was rather large, and contained a sofa, sofa-chair, AND table. The bathroom was standard for these types of hotels. The decor was your basic Hyatt look of browns and dark greens. It was also clean and water-pressure was good in the bathroom. It also contained the usual amenities.
I hate to judge the service too much because our experience was probably not normal. Upon returning from our room from sight-seeing, we found a BOTTLE OF CHAMPAGNE AND CHOCOLATE-COVERED STRAWBERRIES compliments of the hotel to celebrate our special occasion. In addition (and to me the really impressive part) was that the wonderful woman who checked us in (as a note, she was African-American and I believe her name started with "D"). She sent us a 2nd BOTTLE OF CHAMPAGNE to celebrate our honeymoon. I don't know if this was a mistake or not, but she signed her name on a nice card herself, so it tells us it was her idea.
In addition, the next morning we ordered room-service for breakfast, and the delivery was quick and polite.
Like I said, we were able to get this room at $89/night for a Saturday night stay. At that kind of price, this hotel was an amazing bargain. But alas, that does not seem to be normal by any means. Even looking up random Saturdays next November I only find $149 a night. Many nights you cannot find a room for under $250/night. As my wife and I have family in DC, we often are staying at hotels, and only once have we stayed here (for the $150 to $250 range I'd much rather stay at one of the many Kimpton hotels in the area, where the internet is free and hotels are more interesting. In fact if you are staying in the area the Grand Hyatt is located, look into the Hotel Monaco, which has an even better location and can often be the same price as the Hyatt. Come to think of it, the Kimpton chain offering free internet to it's rewards members and a complimentary cocktail hour pretty much trumps any Hyatt in the same price range).
The incredible service we received here the night we stayed has given us hope for the Hyatt brand despite some other bad experiences. And if this hotel can be had for under $140, I heartily recommend you choose it. However, if you find a rate any higher than $200 for a standard room, I would say to definitely NOT stay here. Looking at a random day in June '12 I find a single night for the same kind of room we had going for $399/night. That is absolutely absurd.
Overall, this is a solid hotel if had at the right price, but wait for a deal before you give it a try.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Centrally located in downtown City Center- with convenient in-lobby Metro Center access - this Washington DC hotel is an ideal spot to explore the Nation's Capitol. Enjoy stylish guestrooms with plush Grand Beds™, indulgent amenities and multiple dining venues. Utilize our full-service business center and 32 outstanding meeting rooms - just steps from Washington Convention Center. Escape to extraordinary elegance at Grand Hyatt Washington. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity.ca, Priceline, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Hyatt Washington reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hyatt Washington Hotel Washington Dc
- Grand Hyatt Washington Dc
- Hyatt Washington Dc
- Washington Dc Hyatt