“Actually a great hotel !!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Washington DC-Central/White House

Holiday Inn Washington DC-Central/White House
Ranked #55 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
London
“Actually a great hotel !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night in May 2012, just now. I thought it would be a cheap budget hotel, that would "do the trick". Actually no, it was much more than that.
The receptionist was really helpful, the smell of all corridors was super fresh (carpet cleaning!!) and the room was dry, very large, very clean and really pleasant. In fact it weas more of a suite than a room. It had a large desk for work, which was great for the work I had to do, huge TV, and an incredibly massive bed, where I spent a really quiet night, and had a good night's sleep.
Overall: a great hotel for the rate, and I shal return.
In general I was impressed my Washington, it is a very pleasant city indeed.
Much calmer and less vulgar than NY in any case.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
istanbul
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

It might not be the perfect location for us since we focused on the meeting at the Convention center. The distances in D.C. are further than they look on the map. The hotel was just average. Definitely not bad but not the best one either. The rooms were spacious but the bathrooms were small. The aisles and the carpets looked oldish but OK at the end it is not our home. The breakfast (buffet) was 14, 90 + tax = almost 19 USD which is quite expensive concerning the food offered. The good part was free coffee at the lobby and quiet residential area where the hotel located. We paid 1710 USD for 8 nights for this location and amenities I guess it was a bit high. The fitness center is small but clean. In general the hotel was clean. The last night the fire alarm rang with no reason and the staff could not turn the alarm off for almost half an hour. Thank God that it was not a real fire.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC-Central/White House, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Dear hakanakdag58,

I appreciate you honest feedback. I'm delighted to hear that our location suited you well. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I would like to offer a sincere apology for the unusual situation regarding the fire alarm. Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Joel B
IHGCare
Hightstown, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

We booked this hotel for a last minute Easter/Passover weekend trip to the DC area. We found a good deal on Expedia and were happy with the location not far from DuPont Circle, Adams Morgan, and Columbia Heights (our usual DC hangouts). We arrived right at check in time and a very friendly woman checked us in and told us where to park.
Well boy am I glad that I drive a small hatchback. The garage had very narrow spaces, many of the with large concrete poles on either side. At some points there was only one lane in which to drive, so it was a little treacherous. If you do drive and stay at this property, leave your minivan, SUV, or granpa's old Buick at home.
Anyway, we got up to our very clean room. It was a typical hotel room with a full bathroom on the right, a rack for hanging clothes on the left, a dresser/entertainment center with HDtv and a refrigerator, a king size bed, and a desk with rolling chair. As with most Holiday Inns, there was a wall unit air conditioner. The room was a decent size for a city hotel. The bathroom was also a decent size however there was no built-in storage for toiletries. The maid also failed to provide shampoo for the first couple of days. While the maids did a good job of cleaning, perhaps their lack of attention to detail was due to the fact that they were often talking on their cell phones while working.
Overall, our stay was rather uneventful. Everything was in good repair in the room. The sleep quality varied by night depending on how much the air conditioning went on and how much city not their was that night. Check out was a breeze and a friendly experience. We did leave an item behind and when I called the hotel, they made arrangements to ship it back to me promptly.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DSXM
Dear DSXM,

Thank you so much for your review regarding your stay at our hotel. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative about your comments, especially the item you left was promptly returned. I am also pleased that you commended our front desk. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service and are happy doing so.

I apologize that the parking lot fell below your expectations. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Washington DC.

Janice A.
IHG Care
Minneaoplis, MN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

Just spent 5 days in DC with hubby and kiddos (9 and 6) for spring break and to see the sights. I travel a ton for work and stay in all manner of hotels, so I have a pretty high bar, that said, if a hotel is clean, comfortable and well managed, that's pretty much all I need. I doesn't need to be fancy. So, I had high hopes for this hotel, the reviews here seemed to bode well, but it's just a little off. The good: great location, 3 block walk to subway (McPherson sq. on the blue or orange line), 5 blocks to Dupont Circle, 6 blocks to White House north lawn. Great neighborhood, very safe and comfortable walking around, tons of delicious local restaurants and 1 block to a huge Whole Foods and Starbuck's, which helped to defray the ridiculously high costs of eating on the mall (we packed a lunch almost every day). They upgraded us to a suite when we checked in. There was a fridge, microwave and coffee maker in the room, they all worked well. The bathrooms seemed new and were pretty nice. There is a bar on site that had some nice wines and wasn't too expensive. Cons: Our room was very musty and I think my daughter and I were both allergic to it. They upgraded us to a suite.. nice of them, but with 4 people (even though 2 of them are smallish) we needed 2 beds, and this room had 1 King. It did have a pull out couch, but really, when you've booked 2 queens, sleeping on a pull out couch doesn't really cut it. The whole place seemed a little run down and beat up and the attention to detail was just a little off. For instance, wiping down all the surfaces in the room. There were a lot of smudgy, grubby spots on the coffee table and bedside tables, around the fridge, etc. I ended up walking around the room with a wet washcloth and scrubbing most of the surfaces. The room heater in the wall was VERY loud and had left a pall of dusty grub on the ceiling where it blew out it's air. There was a balcony on our room, but the door and windows really didn't close very well, so I didn't feel all that secure leaving our things in the room and it got quite cold at night from the draftiness. The bed, for some odd reason, was a total pretzel maker. The pull out couch turned out to be more comfortable! Closet was just an indent in the wall with a bar on it, leaving you with a feeling of having all your clothes hanging in the middle of the room. When we were leaving, the bellman pointed my husband in the direction of the ramp to wheel the cart full of luggage out to our car instead of HELPING him (he was just standing there.) All in all.....if I was going to DC again and wanted to use points, I might stay here again, but I would sure look around at my other options. This would not be my first choice. However, it is really conveniently located and I've stayed in far worse hotels. Middle of the road to slightly shabby would be my rating.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank davismama2003
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC-Central/White House, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Dear davismama2003,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for leaving a comprehensive review. It's good to know that our location made you feel safe and it suited your needs. I do apologize for any inconvenience the housekeeping services may have caused you. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to the Washington, DC area.

Irish V.
IHG Care
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

Very fast and efficient check in by helpful and friendly staff, from the porters to housekeeping to hotel front desk. Clean room and nice decorations make this hotel stand above the rest, especially for the decent price and location.

Location is very close to a great breakfast and brunch place, next is only a 20 minute walk away from Chinatown and another 20 minute walk away from The Mall. Great central location is easy to cab to and from. There are also a couple clubs in the area.

Nothing I can complain about in this hotel - great stay all around! Will recommend and will return!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Milton Keynes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

The location was great for sightseeing and restaurants on P street. Room was clean and comfortable and staff helpful. Shame that roof top pool does not open until memorial day as weather was great and would have liked to use it.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Fort Worth, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

Priority Club member, so they upgraded me to a 2-room suite, but I did not use the separate living room with TV and hideaway sofa, small fridge and microwave. Everything worked and everything was clean. Plenty of towels, well-stocked. Elevator was slow and it was difficult to bring roll-aboard through revolving door. All staff were eager to please, though. Very good, especially for the price. (Hotel has a 1st floor in addition to a Lobby floor! Unusual in US, I think.)

Room Tip: Room 509 had zero view, but it didn't matter much to me.