“You are paying for location”

JW Marriott Washington, DC
Ranked #69 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I've stayed here a few times and the bottom line is: Expensive, Small Rooms, Good Amenities and an excellent location. If it's a short business trip the expense is covered it's very convenient, but there are many better value/style alternatives spread out around the city.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,124)

Reviewed 24 March 2012

This hotel would be great if it was a typical Marriott, but for a JW I was expecting a little more. I had an event here and that staff was very helpful and very nice. The front desk staff was slightly different. Not very helpful. The location is GREAT! Rooms are a bit small for the price, but to be able to look out my window and see the Washington monument was amazing. Overall, great hotel for business, but I would stay at a different hotel if I was visiting DC for personal reasons.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank BWtornado
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Ok so smart elevators that cue people up by floor and funnel people to certain elevators are efficient....but when they have no instructions for rookies who have never used them it is really slow getting to your room.

Room keys you just tough to the lock they do not insert. First day it took 3 trips to front desk and finally bellman went with me and his master key did not even work. Second day another 3 trips to front desk and I finally gave up and checked out...They are not prepared for their technology...

Room Tip: Get a room where the lock battery does not need changed avoid room 145
2  Thank CPN5280
Jim R, Resident Manager at JW Marriott Washington, DC, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

Dear CPN5280,

Thank you very much for the feedback that you have provided regarding your stay at the JW Marriott Washington, DC. Technology upgrades have certainly benefited the hotel however I sincerely apologize for your frustration with both the elevators and lock systems at the hotel. I have shared your feedback with the team here at the property to ensure that 1) the front desk team is more thorough in explaining the details of how the elevator system works, and 2) the engineering team ensures all the locks at the hotel are working properly. Again, thank you for taking time out of your day to provide us with this feedback.

Respectfully,
Jim Redington

Reviewed 22 March 2012

JW Marriott in D.C. won back our business with Marriott. We flew into D.C. late on a Friday night to check into a Courtyard down the street who we had reservations with for a week stay. When we arrived, Courtyard gave away our reserved double bed room and gave us a single queen with a pullout chair for FOUR PEOPLE. We had to sleep three to a queen size bed and one person on a very small cot-like bed. During all this commotion, Marriott customer service closed at midnight and they could not help us with accommodations. The lady helping us at the front desk when we arrived was not very aggressive finding another hotel for us to stay.

Needless to say after getting the run-around from Marriott customer service and points reward department, they finally moved us to JW Marriott. This took us about half the morning on the phone with Marriott the next day. When we arrived at the JW Marriott after a rough night at the Courtyard and dealing with customer service on the phone, we were greeted by the manager in charge. He was very welcoming and willing to take care of us. The JW manager upgraded our room for all of our troubles! The entire stay at JW Marriott was a FIVE STAR stay. The food, service and employees were great! We were always greeted at the door with a smiling employee. I would highly recommend staying at the JW Marriott! It was clean, updated and it had a Starbucks in the lobby. The bonus was looking out the window at night at the Washington Monument. Beautiful.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Tina W

Dear Tina W.,

Thank you very much for taking time to share your experience regarding your recent trip to Washingon, DC. I am very sorry to hear that your initial expereince with Marriott was less than stellar. However, I am very happy to hear that once you arrived at the JW Marriott that we not only met but exceeded your expectations. I have shared your comments with the hotel team and will certainly recognize all the departments and specifically the manager for a job well done. I do hope that we have the opportunity to host you again should you ever return to Washington, DC.

Respectfully,
Jim Redington

Reviewed 21 March 2012

Agree with most reviews that the best thing about this hotel is the location. It is three blocks from the white house, five minute walk to the Washington monument and National Mall. Rooms are definitely on the small side, one sink only, my view was of interior corridor/roof. Deinitely ask for a view room rather than an interior room if a view is important to you. Bed/mattress was older, uneven. Maid service was average with lack of atttention to detail, supplies not replenished over three days (I was there five days). Yes, a small item, but other little miscues on service in avenue grill and restaurant also added to the frustration level for a property supposedly of this caliber. Just average service, especially for the cost. I am sure there are more economical priced options in the city, but this did have a great location.

Room Tip: Ask for view room if important to you, otherwise you may get an interior room with a view of interio...
1  Thank NWtraveler
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I recently returned from a trip to the JW and think with some minor adjustments this could be an amazing place to visit. The hotel is in a great location and is beautiful. My concern is with the consistency of the staff. Let me say that the one and only helpful concierge is Manuela. Not only does she excell at her job but her personality and desire to make your trip great are amazing. Down side, if Manuela is not in you are out of luck. 2nd amazing person is Traykia. This lady went above and beyond to help ensure my daughters had an amazing birthday. If it had not been for these 2 ladies, my review would have been much worse and I would have only given this property a 3. With a refresher course on customer service this place could bring the rest of the staff up to the level of Manuela and Traykia.

Room Tip: Try to request a high floor and facing the street
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Mlsmith142
Reviewed 19 March 2012

The JW Marriot is a great hotel. The staff were all very helpful and nice. The lobby is wonderful and it is a good place to stay. It is close to all the sights that most people want to see in D.C.
The only thing I can that is not positive is that the rooms are small but if you out and about a lot that will not matter.
Still it is a great place.