“Stylish place @ Dupont Circle” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #26 of 139 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
“Stylish place @ Dupont Circle”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

Great rooms in a hotel that does a good job in sticking out from the shades of grey the large chains provide.

• Stayed June 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
hotelmanager_9, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 9 June 2012
Dear Fleestedt,

I am glad to you had a good time and found the hotel stylish. Thank you very much for your review. Come and stay with us again soon!

Best regards,
Stephane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (748)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

We stayed here 4 nights recently. The staff was so friendly and helpful. Our room was street side, but we were on the 10th floor, so noise level was fine. Our room was huge, bathroom small. Good location near Dupont Circle and the Metro. Starbucks is a few doors down.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RemyBoy
hotelmanager_9, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Dear RemyBoy,

Thank you for the great feedback! I am glad you enjoyed the hotel and the area. Dupont Circle is really a cool place. Come back and see us soon!

Best Wishes,
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights in May during memorial weekend. This was our second stay in the hotel and the service and atmosphere did not disappoint.
The hotel is a winner from the greeting at the door, the quick service at reception through to the great service and happy to help attitude of house keeping.
A special mention must be made of Joe the barman at Urbana he was chatty,witty and had a great knowledge of the drinks on offer. I would recommend his special of "chocolate milk".
The hotels location at Dupont Circle area is great for traveling around Washington DC.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Allpro83
hotelmanager_9, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Dear Allpro83,

Thank you so much for being one of our biggest fans. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and that Jo, once again, provided excellent service. I will be sure to share the review with him.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

I'm generally a big fan of Palmoar hotels. The Palomar DC is in a great location, has great service, and everything else I've come to expect from a Palomar. Consistently good experience.

Only complaint was the rooms -- ceiling are quite low, not enough (or any) overhead lighting, and the bed was a double when it should have been a queen.

Overall, a good experience, but wasn't thrilled with the room. I will certainly return to other Palomar hotels -- but might look elsewhere in DC.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from Dupont Circle may open directly into the adjacent building, restricting view...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

WE stayed here again for an annual DC trip. Stayed in the same room as last year (they accommodated our request for the same room). Same great service and vibe. Same small quirks as last time. The plus side is the staff is friendly and responsive to requests and fixes things quickly. The lobby scene is awesome mix of families, trendsters, and pets.

Don't miss the Wine and Sangria happy hour. Location is great and price for the area is pretty good. Pool is also great for kids to swim and adults to hang out. The downsides are the same as last visit: dark hallways, no bathroom fan, slow (and once malfunctioning) elevators. To their credit, when we pointed out the elevator issue (it missed a few floors, reset the lit buttons on its own and shuddered to a stop at our floor), they sent up a bottle of bubbly to make up for it.

Overall, a great place in DC. Still deserving of Top Trip Advisor rating.

Room Tip: Stay above the second or third floors as there are a lot of eve functions on the second floor.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Bkasrel
hotelmanager_9, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 2 June 2012
Dear Bkasrel,

Thank you so much for your feedback and for being one of our most loyal fan! I am so happy you had, once again, a great time. Those poor elevators; the heavy traffic is taking its toll. We are currently working on replacing all of them. This is an enormous undertaking but it should be all done in time for your 2013 visit. The staff joins me in wishing you a great summer.

new jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

I booked this hotel because it is known to be doggy friendly, which it was. If you don't like dogs, you may not want to stay here, because it is very dog friendly. Dogs of all shapes and sizes and you do hear some barking (which was fine by me).

When we arrived, it was the middle of the afternoon and very hot. There was no valet to greet us and assist at the door (I think they were dealing with the weddings that were going on). This made things difficult since I had a one year old in a stroller and a 50lb mutt who is excitable. I managed to get everyone out of the car and all items in the door and into the hotel to check-in. When I made the reservations, I requested early check-in, a refrigerator (for baby's milk and snacks) and a crib. Upon arrival, I was told my room was not yet ready (we were 1 1/2 hrs early) due to the fact that they were getting our special requests ready. Ok...no problem. The front desk recommended a nice place that I could eat with the baby and dog. Went for a meal and returned at 3pm. Our room was still not ready. We finally got to room around 3:30, however there was no refrigerator and no crib. I spoke with Sheryl in guest services (who was awesome and so helpful) and she had a pack and play sent right up and said that I could use the mini-bar fridge to store the baby's items. The pack and play was perfect for my son. They also provided a sheet and nice, soft blanket. He loved it. Sheryl also sent up dog bowls and a pet bed for my dog. It was great!

We stayed in a executive-king sized room. The room was a good size and very clean. There was absolutely no doggie smells anywhere in the hotel. The bed was comfy and the temperature in the room was warm at first, but cooled down pretty well. The hotel staff was so friendly to me and my family the entire stay. They were always giving my son and dog special attention and were very helpful with all of my requests and questions.

I used the pool one afternoon. It appeared to be pretty clean and there were plenty of towels. A lot of families and couples having a good time after a day of sight seeing. Also, there was a lifeguard on duty, which is a bonus.

My favorite part of the day was 5pm. This was happy hour time. After travelling a few hours in the car with a baby and a dog, Mommy needed a little drink and relaxation. It was nice to have a glass of wine and chat with other hotel guests. There was sangria and wine. Plus some flatbreads and a big bowl of olives. My son loved the mango juice. It was a nice way to spend a half-hour before going upstairs and starting the night-time routine (bath, books, bed).

Rock Creek Park and other small parks were near by to walk the dog. Additionally, the hotel is only three blocks from the Metro (DuPont Circle). On Sundays, you walk through a farmers market to get there.

I thought the service at the hotel was pretty good and I thought the room was really nice and clean. I loved the location of the hotel (close to Metro and Georgetown) and, above all, the fact that my dog was able to come with us. Thank you Hotel Palomar.

Room Tip: The pool is on floor two. Personally, I would not want to be on the same floor as the pool.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Dear ryans_auntie,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with the world travelers. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and especially the 5 o'clock happy hour. I apologize for the delay you experienced with the readiness of the room and the delivery of the items you requested prior to your arrival. I am glad that Sheryl was able to offer the level of service you expected. I will be sure to share your review with her. I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back soon. Next time you are in town please let me know; I would love the opportunity to say thank you in person.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

We stayed at this hotel for about five days in March 2012. We were in DC on business and we were there Wed-Sun the week we stayed, around the 24th. First of all, the doormen were very nice and funny. The hotel had bikes sitting outside the doors for guests to use to tour DC, which was a perk because we used them, rather than spending money on the DC bikes for rent stationed all over the city. No free continental breakfast. We brought our own milk and cereal from home.The lobby was very stylish and ultra-modern. Probably one of the nicest I've seen In a long time. There was even a gas fireplace. The restaurant in the lobby was always full (but we didn't eat there.) The elevators up to the rooms were very small and shaky. There was always a line for them and on more than one occasion, we saw instances of "elevator sniping" because people didn't want to wait their turn. Our hallway didn't have any type of unusual odor to it. We never heard dogs barking at all while we were going from room to elevator. The room was very nice and spacious. Our room looked right into the livingroom of the apartment across the street from us, eye level, so we always kept our curtains closed. The beds were very comfortable, not too hard or soft, the pillows were good and enough blankets. For being a pet friendly hotel, the room looked like the bed covers had been recently replaced (they weren't stained, torn, old looking, or worn-out!) and the carpet was nice too. That room was CLEAN! There were no remnant odors or stains on the carpet from previous guests' pets. I thoroughly inspected the beds for bedbugs first and there were no signs. There was a small fridge in the room that was stocked with drinks and candy. The bathroom was new as well and had a very modern sink. The hotel gave out Aveda toiletries. Bathroom door was a little odd to maneuver as it slid sideways to open but was heavy...I'm small, under 120 pounds. New TV in the room. Furniture looked newer as well. I had a 7 week old kitten with me and the maids were very courteous about keeping her locked in the bathroom while they cleaned so she wouldn't get scared or hurt. I pulled one maid aside and explained to her and yet they all did it!! The location was great. Literally 5 minutes walk to the subway and some great restaurants. If you just want a nice walk, the area immediately around the hotel is chock full of manicured embassies and buildings with beautiful architecture. I would definitely stay there again....with or without pets!!! We had no problems with this hotel whatsoever! This was the nicest pet friendly hotel I've ever seen and probably why our company paid almost $300 a night!!!

Room Tip: No problems with dogs barking while we were there, but ask for a floor with no pets if you're wo...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Dear tsueblanton,

We are thrilled you chose our hotel and had a great time. Our goal is to provide the best service anywhere in the industry and we are obsessed with our rooms and public areas being spic and span. I am so happy to found everything to be clean as a whistle. Hope to see you again very soon.