“Cozy neighborhood hotel”

Kimpton Carlyle Hotel
Ranked #50 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 27 April 2012 via mobile

What a great find! We stayed here for 4 days as we took in the DC sites. We took a train into DC and traveled via metro which worked out great since parking seemed like it would have been a pain. The rooms were nice...we lucked out and had corner rooms which were definitely larger than the others. Tempurpedic mattresses were a great touch and the big shower with grear water pressure was a nice change from the standard tiny tub/shower in most hotels.....We loved being close to all the great restaraunts and galleries at DuPont circle without being on a main drag. The neighborhood was just beautiful. Would definitely recommend highly. WiFi was lame though.....

• Stayed: April 2012

Reviewed 25 April 2012

Nice location. Tiny parking garage for free in the back. Walking distance to yummy restaurants. They either have "heat" or "A/C" on at one time in the hotel. So, if you like to sleep cool, but it is cool outside, they put the heat on.
Their reaction: Open the windows!!! LOL!!!! What an adventure!!
Tip: Book from the hotel directly and you will save. It's a safe area for kids, families, or people traveling alone. The metro is across a couple of streets.

Room Tip: They have large rooms available with two beds and a pull-out couch. The room also had a microwave a...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank thedebsterruns2
Reviewed 24 April 2012

The manager, David, is exceptional in customer service and inspiring the staff to do the same. He is a welcome respite from the anonymity of business travel.

The location is convenient, just a few quiet blocks off of Dupont Circle but an easy walk to the Metro.

I found the room very comfortable and the bed fantastic. In short, the hotel far exceeded my expectations, especially on short notice. I look froward to returning.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank T F
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My first trip to Washington and a big part of a very enjoyable visit was the choice of Carlyle Suites. This is not a "luxury" hotel but it delivers 5 star value in every department:
Perfect location in the beatiful Dupont District,
spacious rooms, nice beds and the kitchenette is great (with Safeway next door),
big tv and free internet, really nice soaps and bathroom,
and not the least, incredibly helpful and friendly staff.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MrMoller
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I have organized a trip of international graduate students to Washington each March for the past 4 years. We have stayed at the Carlyle Suites each year and had a great experience each time. The rooms are large enough for us to comfortably house the students 3 to a room. The kitchenettes in the rooms are nice to have - some of the students even do some cooking so they don't need to eat out for every meal. The buffet breakfast is very nice, and very convenient when I need to get a group of 30+ out the door each morning.

I love getting free passes to the Washington Sports Club (although I don't think any of the students ever take advantage of this, I try to go every morning!)

The hotel is very conveniently located - although it's just a few minutes walk to the metro at Dupont Circle, I find that it's often easiest to walk everywhere.

It's great getting free WiFi in the rooms (some other hotels I contacted are still charging $15+/day for WiFi).

The staff has been incredibly nice to us - JoAnn, the group sales manager - has been super helpful, the front desk staff have been great about getting our group checked in quickly and efficiently, and in four years of stays we have not had a single problem or complaint.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We spent the last 4 days in Washington, Dc staying at the Carlyle Suties Hotel. It is located near Dupont Circle (with it's Metro stop). The hotel is in a residential area but near shops and restaurants. The room we had was very large with comfortable double beds, a sitting area, a separate little kitchen area, a desk, a dressing area and bathroom. The service was superb from housekeeping to the front desk. We had a delicious light dinner at the bar one night that was quite reasonably priced. We would return to the Carlyle again for sure.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stayed here for the first time at the end of March, during one of my quarterly trips to DC. This place is now my hotel of choice when there. My stay was terrific! I wish I had found it sooner.

The hotel is located in a beautiful, quiet, and safe residential neighborhood off Dupont Circle. Off the Circle is very important -- no traffic noise all night. The location could not be better. The Metro is withing walking distance.

The staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean. The Tempurpedic beds are fantastic. I don't think I've had a better night's sleep anywhere.

The separate kitchen with the Keurig coffee maker is wonderful. The bathroom is a tad small but still very nice. Overall, the suite is very comfortable. And the free wi-fi actually works.

My only complaint was that I happened to be there at the same time with a large group of high school students. My room abutted two others full of kids who either forgot or didn't care that they were in a public place. They liked to congregate in the hall and shout through open doors across hallways at 10pm. It was frustrating and rude, but since I was only there for 2 nights I suffered it quietly. This is one of those luck-of-the-draw problems that just didn't go my way this time around. The hotel really should have the foresight to place business travelers away from these groups.

All in all, I recommend this hotel for anyone who is looking for a clean and comfortable place in a great location, for a reasonable price. It really is better than any of the other 7 places in DC that I have stayed.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business