“Disappointment from previous visits”

Beacon Hotel & Corporate Quarters
Ranked #107 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Toronto, Canada/Palm Springs
“Disappointment from previous visits”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

The first day we left to be with the family maybe 11 AM and did not get back until very late. No housekeeping. We called the desk and someone brought us towels. When I asked her for coffee it was as if I had ruined her whole day and I was remind how late it was. Hmm it was not me that forgot the room.

When I mentioned this to a managerial type the next morning (he was dressed in a gray jacket while the rest were in black) the first response I got was not "We are sorry Sir" but "Did you leave your do not disturb sign out?" asked in an aggressive accusatorial way.

My travel companion wanted change to buy a soda from the vending, but one of about half of the disinterested front desk staff would only change one dollar. Sodas were a dollar and change.

Twice I called for the car to be brought up and when we got to the lobby no one had even gone to get it or knew we were waiting for it. We were late for a family gathering to honour the life of my sister in law who had passed away the day before we got to DC.

Twice we came in late at night and were ignored at the front desk trying to drop off the car keys. I just left them there. At least no one ran off with the car; HOWEVER, one time the car came up with the drivers' seat pushed back as far as it could go and the radio BLASTING a station we would not have been listening to. I wish I had checked the mileage before I dropped off the keys the night before.
My travel companion wrote a review while we were still there but just after the housekeeping incident. We got back the next night and there was a note from management, a bottle of wine (we do not drink) an apple and an orange and two bottles of designer water. There were also coupons for continental breakfast—a diabetics dream meal.

I hope this was a blip as we will no doubt book again with this hotel when the other is unavailable. I will just be very careful to inquire about the “suite” we are reserving and keep watch for other things.

One advantage to 801 is that it is at the end of a very short corridor with only a few adjacent rooms and is therefore quieter than other parts of the hotel.

Room Tip: be sure you know what room you are getting. "Suite" has a very broad definition in this ho...
Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank scuba1bear

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Mequon
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We stayed at the Beacon in Washington on a family vacation. The good points were that the location was excellent, the staff very friendly, with all the standard amenities. We booked the mini suite which was a good size room with two double beds and a pull out couch.

We had two primary issues; on the first evening we pulled out the couch bed we found it was not changed from prior use. When I called to resolve the issue, the person who came up brought sheets to change but did not replace the heavier blanket. This led me to believe they don’t regularly change these between guests a thought I was uncomfortable with. The other issue we had was with the air conditioning. The room was too warm for us (73-75), when we called the first evening no one showed up for an hour at which time we decided to cancel the service call until the next day so we could sleep. The next day when leaving the hotel I asked the front desk to address the issue in our absence. When we returned that evening the issue had not been resolved. I called and had a repair person sent up. The person informed me that the central air system had not been activated for the season due to cold temperatures outside. He attempted to get the in room air conditioning unit to function with no success. The window would only open about two inches. The only solution proposed was to stick a fan next to the window and try to blow cool air from outside into the room. This was an unsatisfactory solution to the problem for us. No other attempts were made to resolve our issues or compensate for inability to do so.

Pullman, Washington
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We had reservations at a different hotel in DC (Normandy) we got there one day ahead do schedule, found that our original hotel was to far from our areas of interest so we cancelled and decided to look elsewhere...we walked into the Beacon with no reservations and where very surprised by the friendly welcome...staff was wonderful to both my daughter and I, room 606 super clean, very comfortable beds..hotel is close to every land mark we wanted to visit.
I totally recommend!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Hectortorres, Front Desk Manager at Beacon Hotel & Corporate Quarters, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write the astonishing review of our hotel, its location and very nice comment about the staff. We are truly happy to have created an unforgettable experience for you and your family during your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back
Orange County, CA
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I stayed at Beaon last month as part of an educational working group. This hotel is graced with a good location - just off of DuPont, and a hard-working staff who are friendly and helpful. There are some unfortunate features to the hotel that can't be easily fixed, such as rooms next to elevators. Most rooms are tiny - really tiny. I understand that there are a few "corporate suites" that are good sized. Other features can be fixed: such as Internet access, which is expensive and slow. Also, our group met in a basemet room that had no outside windows, and no Internet access. It just hadn't been set up downstairs. This hotel could benefit from some TLC.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from an elevator, including service elevators.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Hectortorres, Manager at Beacon Hotel & Corporate Quarters, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Thank you for choosing us as your home away from home and taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. We appreciate all the great feedback and look forward to your return the next time you are in Washington, DC.
New York
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I chose "name your own price" on Priceline and got the room for under $90. It is rated a 3.5*. The location is great. It's walking distance to restaurants and if you really don't mind walking, you can walk down to the historic sites. If not, a cab ride is only about $7. It's very close to many restaurants and bars so there are choices for everyone. I didn't like the size of the rooms. They may be only as big as a cruise ship room (if that). I felt there was no room to move around. The rooms were also so thin, I could hear conversations taking place next door. Maybe it was just my timing because I swear that my floor was the gathering area for everyone going out to party over the weekend; as a result, I could hear the conversations of people congregating in the hall. The overall service (front desk, valet) was good.

1 Thank JAYEYEDEE
Rhode island
Reviewed 8 April 2012

This hotel is in a great location at a very good value! Downtown dc pretty much, very close to an area called Dupont Circle and Georgetown. We stayed there for the cherry blossom festival and everything was within walking distance. We decided to ride the metro which was three blocks away and it was a fun ride like about 15mins or less to get to the Jefferson Memorial. The staff was extremely helpfull and friendly although they were extremely busy they managed to help every guest at the front dest. The hotel itself is very clean, looks great and the restaurant is very nice and elegant. They have a buffet brunch on Sundays that is extremely delicious, in which you have to make reservations in advance becuase is one of the best ones in the area! The food was just too good and cooked perfectly! Props to the chef! I love working out and I loved the fact that there was a YMCA gym right next to the hotel and you get free access to it if you are a guest of the beacon. Overall my stay as well as my friends and family members was excellent! I would recommend this hotel to everyone who is willing to have a good time in dc and enjoy everything it has to offer. Also this would be a good place for people who like the night life...many clubs and nice lounges/bars near within walking distance, short drive. Bar at the rooftop with great drinks!

Room Tip: Make sure you bring a credit card or debit card at check in! They do not accept cash nor prepaid car...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Hectortorres, Manager at Beacon Hotel & Corporate Quarters, responded to this review, 15 April 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to the day when we can welcome you once again.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel during a business trip in DC. The room itself was very nice and the bed was very comfortable. I shared a room with a colleague so it felt a bit cramped for two people. The bathroom in particular felt a small. My biggest complaint was the noise though; our room faced the street so there was a great deal of noise in the mornings. The location is excellent, very close to Dupont Circle.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank yaeliam
It was a pleasure receiving the comments of Yaeliam and hope that they will consider returning to the hotel soon.