“Outstanding, attentive, cozy, and convenient hotel in the heart of DC”

Kimpton Hotel Madera
Ranked #59 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Miami, Florida
“Outstanding, attentive, cozy, and convenient hotel in the heart of DC”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I stayed at Madera with a very small group of students this past week, on a 4-night visit to DC. After some very strong recommendations, and with the desire to stay at a nice hotel for good value in a convenient location, we chose Madera. I was incredibly happy with this choice. The renovated lobby looks *great* -- much more spacious than the previous design, and very welcoming. (It is still small, but that's part of the cozy nature of the hotel.) The hotel is quite small, and we were personally greeted every time we came in and out, with the staff constantly checking in with us about our stay -- very professional, courteous, and helpful. The rooms are quite spacious (especially for a DC hotel), and very well appointed and laid out, and the housekeeping staff was terrific. The location is also perfect: 2 blocks from the Dupont Circle Metro entrance (and thus Dupont Circle, with all of its restaurants, shops, etc.), 2 blocks from a DC Circulator bus stop, and about 10-15 minutes walk from the White House (just under a mile). The sales staff made everything remarkably easy in terms of booking our group's stay, and we all felt well taken care of. I can honestly say that I will not be looking elsewhere the next time I travel to DC again, and I will recommend the Madera to anyone who asks. This is a cozy hotel with all of the service and quality of a Kimpton property, without the big hotel feel. Perfect for all kinds of travel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
MaderaGM, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Dear gscooper, i am so happy that you are pleased with the Lobby renovations. It is still cozy for our Guests, but is larger and more seating than before. I am thrilled your Group enjoyed their visit and the convenience of the location of the Madera. You can't beat being so close to the Metro station and our Dupont Circle neighborhood. Thank you again for staying with us and we do hope to see your Group again. Thanks, Modi Ahmed General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
New York
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Very polite and courteous staff, spacious hotel rooms, comfortable and clean beds, and quiet location near Dupont Circle. Unfortunately, there were renovations being done the week I was there (February 29th) but my stay was still very enjoyable. I could not hear any construction noise at all. One minor inconvenience was that I had to use the restaurant entrance instead of the hotel's. Other than this, great stay! Will be returning again!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Chris S
MaderaGM, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Madera, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Dear Chris S, thank you so much for your patience during our Lobby renovation! I understand going through the restaurant to enter and exit wasnt ideal. The good news is that the Lobby renovation is complete and it looks great. We're looking forward to your next visit so you can see it for yourself. See you soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I've known the Madera for many years having lived in Washington, but now as a traveler to Washington, I appreciate it even more. Ideal for guests who are lost in giant hotels as anonymous travelers. The Madera has just 82 rooms, meaning only about 8 rooms on each floor and as result, they provide a very VIP experience to all guests lucky enough to be registered there. Think about it - only 82 guests get to call this place home on any given night! The rooms are rather enormous for standard size guest rooms in the city. Front facing rooms feature rather sizeable balconies too, and they overlook the picturesque neighborhood just south of Dupont Circle. Rooms in the rear, which my parents and inlaws had, are just as desirable although without balconies as they overlook the quiet West End and Georgetown.

The hotel just finished a lobby renovation. The lobby has always been small but their renovation gives it a bigger feel. It's much more like walking into the entrance hall of a close friend's house the way they welcome you in and pour wine during wine hour. And just off to the left of the lobby is a splendid neighborhood restuarant, Firefly, where we ate breakfast but where I've haad lunch and dinner previously. Always busy, the restaurant never disappoints with its creative comfort food and respectable prices.

I understand a room renovation is on its way. With its very contemporary decor, the hotel does not appear terribly aged so I can only marvel at what they will be doing in the rooms. Regardless, the Madera is an exceptional change of pace from enormous convention scale hotels you find in most cities. And with some staff that's been there since the hotel opened about a decade ago, you can bet if you keep coming back, they'll keep welcoming you back like you're family.

Room Tip: All rooms are huge, but if you like sleeping with fresh air, ask for a front facing baclony room.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Orlando, FL
Reviewed 13 March 2012

My wife and I had a wonderful one night stay at the Madera for a quick anniversary getaway. The staff was very professional, and we were very well cared for on our special day. The location is rather unbeatable as well, as we took a great long walk to the White House and another around the Dupont Circle area. Furthermore, the food and service at Firefly (downstairs) was sensational, and we have already begun recommending to our D.C.-area friends that they dine there soon. Danny is an amazing executive chef, and Justin was a spectacular server. We will definitely be staying at Kimpton hotels in the future!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Hello sambrendan, we were delighted to have you and your wife celebrate your anniversary at the Madera and Firefly Restaurant. Thank you for letting us be a part of it! So happy to hear you had a great visit. Yes, Danny Bortnick is a wonderful chef. Glad to see we have a new fan of Kimpton Hotels. Thanks again and Happy Anniversary, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Great location and clean, spacious rooms at the Madera. Pair that with a wine happy hour, quality scene in the restaurant (Firefly), and smiles from every member of staff, and you have a solid place to stay. Stay on the back if you want quiet and a killer view of the city or the front if you want bigger rooms and a great street-scape. We were charged for internet that we didn't use, but it was kindly and swiftly removed from our bill - proof that guests come first here. Being represented by a company with its values in-check means I'll come back to this and other Kimpton hotels.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank cblukens
Thank you for the review cblukens! It sounds like you had an enjoyable visit to the Madera. My apologies for the billing error but I am happy to read it was resolved quickly. We would love to have you back at the Madera and all Kimpton hotels. Thanks again, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 28 February 2012

In the interest of full disclosure, I got a great rate from a web service (and not by gambling on an unnamed hotel), with opportunity to cancel the reservation. I may therefore be prone to generosity, in the sense that I wasn't bothered by the fact that they were renovating the front desk and lobby over my visit. We had to enter the hotel through the restaurant (Firefly) and there was just a tiny podium where the service personnel checked us in and handled our needs. This might have bothered me if I was paying full rate. In any case, this was my first Kimpton experience and won't be my last, I'm sure. Madera satisfied the basic needs very well (good night's sleep, hot shower, clean room), but also has these small touches that are appreciated. For instance, on one cold blustery DC day, they had hot cider, spiced or spiked with bourbon, waiting for us by the front desk. A free glass of wine each evening. A coupon for some freebies from the mini-bar. I happened to get a room that magically had a recumbent bike with its own wall-mounted LCD TV. How did they know I like to do 15 miles on the bike now and then? :) The service staff were very friendly and responsive to questions; my request for a quiet room was taken seriously, and the room fit the bill. In short, this is a first-class operation. Finally, Madera is run by the same company that run the highly-rated Palomar nearby. If you're weighing the two, Madera is a smaller hotel in a quieter location; its restaurant seems to be a bit more highly-rated. Palomar is closer to where the action is in Dupont Circle, and they have a large, fabulous lobby (don't know about their rooms...).

Room Tip: If you want quiet, probably want to be away from the elevator. Just ask.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank bfly1
Hello bfly1, I am so happy to read that your visit will not be your last to Madera and Kimpton Hotels! Even with your visit during the renovation, I am glad to read the little touches of service and amenities still made you feel comfortable and at home. We want you to visit soon since the Lobby is now complete! Thanks again and see you soon, Modi Ahmed General Manager
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We stayed here for a weekend getaway to DC. On the way there we called and asked if there was a room available if we were to begin our stay a day earlier, Thursday. There was and they even upgraded us to a cardio room. We were excited because there is no fitness cenetr at this location, you have to walk to the Palomar 3 blocks away. I get up early (4:30) and didn't want to be walking around at that time of morning so this was perfect.
I requested a room on an upper floor and we got one on the 8th, though it is on the side of the hotel not overlooking New Hampshire it still had continual noise from the elevator running up and down all night. It didn't bother my husband, but I am a light sleeper so I was aware of it.
The room was very clean, large TV that you can see from cardio equipment area. The room had a workdesk with power strip for charging phones, laptops, etc. No problem with additional outlets throughout. The vanity is outside the bathroom, not much space for storing toiletries, but the closet is adjacent so we used the shelf in there and that worked well.
The lobby was undergoing renovation so we took the evening wine to our room and enjoyed that while we planned the evening plans.
There is an illy cafe 2 blocks away, at the Renaissance and we would go there for our espresso, though Madera offers coffee and tea to it's guests in the morning. We had breakfast at Teaism on the first morning, delicious scrambled eggs with cilantro and ginger and also the oatmeal. The following mornings we ate at Le Pain Quotidien, my husband got an omelette one morning that was wonderful and served with some of their hearth baked bread and a small salad. They also have wonderful organic jams on the tables and various belgian spread (chocolate, hazelnut).
Should also mention Filter for espresso, the best in Dupont Circle, just a bit further away and opens later than illy. But Filter is the best we had in D.C.
The restaurant in the hotel looked good and certianly would get busy in the late morning and the evening but we wanted to try some other spots. There are a lot to choose from within walking distance. Must try Levantes for their Turkish pide, similar to a flatbread, baked in a wood fired oven. And the warm bread they bring to the table from that same oven is delicious.
Customer service is stellar at the hotel. They must have a wonderful training program for their employees. Everyone knows Disney is reknowned for service, but Kimpton has right to brag in that regard as well. Every person was lovely, and genuinely seemed to care that your stay was the best it could be. Fernando who works in the front (bags, valet, many tasks!) is a sweetheart. He gave us a warm welcome, was a pleasure to talk to when we returned each day, and gave us an equally warm send off--even a hug goodbye! Atilla was familiar with the route we needed to go home and stopped us as we were leaving to review our directions and be sure we were on the right course. We will be back here and to other Kimpton Hotels!
I didn't give it 5 stars only because there was no place to gather with the lobby being renovated. Probably could have in the restaurant but I didn't want to take a table when I wasn't dining.

Room Tip: Farther away from an elevator if you are a light sleeper. Cardio rooms are spacious.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wanderful007
Dear wanderful007, what a great review! Your local restaurant suggestions are great! I am so happy your interactions with our Staff, especially Fernando and Attila were warm and genuine. They are 2 stars on our Staff and definately try to make every Guest feel welcome. I thank you for your patience during the renovation, we hope to see you again so you can epxerience the new lobby. Thank you again, Modi Ahmed General Manager