“OK unless you want to sleep”

The Jefferson, Washington DC
Ranked #5 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
New York City, New York
“OK unless you want to sleep”
Reviewed 13 January 2012

The hotel was at least half empty when I stayed. I asked for a quiet room and was assured that they would take that into consideration. When I arrived, the receptionist also assured me that she was giving me a quiet room.

The hotel is located on 16th Street, one of the most major roads in DC. There is heavy and noisy traffic into the early hours. You can hear horns, motorcycles and heavy vehicles as they pass by. Yes, they have double-pane windows. It doesn't do any good, because the racket goes right through them.

Marble bathrooms, free internet, and high tech TVs aren't much use if you can't get a good night's sleep. I'm not a particularly light sleeper and this isn't a close call. It was really loud and kept me up.

Room Tip: Rooms facing 16th Street are incredibly noisy. I don't know about the other rooms. Heaven help...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
15 Thank Rolf L
JeffersonDC, General Manager at The Jefferson, Washington DC, responded to this review, 25 February 2012
Dear Mr. Rolf L,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. May I take this opportunity to apologize for not meeting your expectations with regards to the noise level in your room.

I truly value your feedback, and hope you will give us another chance to show you the true level of service our hotel is capable of. Do not hesitate to call me directly to discuss at your earliest convenience; 202.448.3272

Robert Jenny
Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Arabic first
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We stayed at the Jefferson over Christmas and new year and had a fabulous stay. The hotel is totally elegant and the service is top notch, nothing was too much trouble.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank murphyc79
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 14 December 2011

This is one of my favorite hotels. I've stayed several times and always can't wait to return. It is beautiful and luxurious, and the service is top notch. The rooms are lovely, the bed is super comfortable, the bedding is of top quality, and the bathrooms are among the nicest of any hotel in which I've stayed. (The TV in the mirror in the bathroom is super cool, and it's neat to see the weather or news as I'm getting dressed in the morning.) I also love the delicious water they provide in the rooms. (Yes, I said delicious water, and I realize that sounds strange, but it's delicious--smooth and silky and crisp and pure at the same time.) The Quill lounge is comfy and quaint but still luxurious. I could sit and sip Champagne there for hours, but I hear they make some very wonderful cocktails. I've only eaten in the restaurant for breakfast, and the French toast is absolutely delicious. Overall, I can't find a thing that needs improvement at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DCAviator
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 13 December 2011

An extremely pleasant hotel with old-fashioned elegance. It has something of the feeling of an inn in the heart of the city. Front desk and service were gracious and efficient and there were a number of small yet pleasant surprises, like the fantastic water pressure in the shower (not always the case in older buildings) and the beautiful and arboreal breakfast room. I debated over giving it 5 stars but decided on 4 (for now) because the kitchen seems to be going through a few issues; a 20 minute room service dinner took over an hour, arriving cold, and breakfast took so long to arrive that we had to leave after it was served (the wrong order was prepared at first, they explained). I hope this is a temporary rough spot because we'd like to return.

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor but did not find street noise excessive.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank TravelLovingProf
JeffersonDC, General Manager at The Jefferson, Washington DC, responded to this review, 16 December 2011
Dear TravelLovingProf, thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at The Jefferson. I was very pleased to hear about your experiences with our Front Desk and service. However, I was sorry to hear about your poor experiences when ordering through Room Service and can assure you that we are actively addressing your timing and quality concerns. Please accept my sincere apologies for these service inefficiencies.
If any future travel brings you back to our city, please do not hesitate to contact me directly; it would be my pleasure to assist you personally.
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 9 December 2011

The Jefferson is a beautiful hotel in a location which is within walking distance to most attractions in DC. We had two rooms and requested early check-in and both rooms were available upon our arrival at 11:00 a.m. The front desk staff was extremely friendly and check-in process was efficient. The rooms are a little small but extremely comfortable and well-appointed. The bathroom was great with a wonderful shower and a small tv in the mirror. We had breakfast in the hotel the next morning and although the food and service was outstanding.

The only glitch we encountered was with the concierge. He made a reservation for lunch at a restaurant which was closed for a private function. The concierge did send a bottle of complimentary wine to both rooms.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Jefferson and would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank gonzo304
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 November 2011

When I arrive at the Hotel I found the valet parker not to be friendly, they were actual rude. I did report the incident to the front desk they apologize but they didn't seem to be sincere. I ask for a room on the highest floor and recieeve accomdation on a low floor. I guest I wasn't spending enough money for this hotel. The guest room was nice but not very clean, I found alot of dust on the picture and furniture. But really grossed me out was hair on the bathroom floor. Never stay at this over price hotel again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank Elba39
Dear Elba39, thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. Please accept my most sincere apologies for the unfortunate service inefficiencies you experienced during your stay; rude staff member, failure to accommodate your request, dusty room and hair on the bathroom floor. I sincerely regret the inconvenience and frustration this caused you, and I assure you that your experience is not the standard to which we aspire, nor which our guests have a right to expect. We are following-up with each department to ensure your points are addressed.
UK
Reviewed 25 November 2011

After much research we chose this hotel for our honeymoon city break to DC. We couldn't have chosen better. The location is superb. It is quite central , but not too noisy with city traffic. It is a 10-15 minute walk to Lafayette Park and the rear views of The White House ( which we preferred in some ways as we could see comings and goings at the rear doors) . 5 minutes more takes you to Constitution Avenue and The National Mall and its various stunning memorials, and museums.
The hotel staff are so friendly and helpful, they clearly want your stay to be memorable and make every effort to make it so ,yet do so unobtrusively. The food was absolutely excellent, whether in The Plume for fine dining ( probably the greatest fillet steaks we have ever eaten)
or in more laid back fashion at The Quill , we loved every last thing served to us.
Our room was very comfortable , the biggest freestanding roll top bath I have seen. I swear I nearly floated off when the bath was filled up!! Shower was amazing as the water pressure has to be experienced to be believed. The bed and bed linen were wonderful and made for restful sleeping that helped us cope with the inevitable jet-lag.
We certainly appreciated the chocolate dipped strawberries, rose petals , and individual small champagne bottles on ice which we were greeted with on arrival to our room. What a kind thought for our honeymoon.
We totally recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: 701 looked out to the front of the hotel, over the main entrance canopy, we enjoyed the street view.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple