“Beware of Troll”

The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel
Ranked #88 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I’ve stayed at the Madison on several occasion in connection with protective security details. Hotel in great location minutes away from all federal buildings and tourist attractions. Staff is superb, newly reinvented restaurant, banquet facilities, guest rooms, and lobby. Beware of the loud and rude housekeeper on midnight staff that tells guest not to walk on her floors and stop them from using the public restroom facilities. If you can avoid her your stay well be every enjoyable.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Jimoverton
Write a ReviewReviews (2,350)

Reviewed 21 February 2012

The staff are incredible and provide very high quality service, which helps this place overcome some of it's negatives. The rooms are nice, but pretty small, and it seems a bit worn in places, which then seem to show shoddy attempts at hiding it. Overall when I was comparing it to similarly-priced hotels, I couldn't help but think the others might have been a better experience. It's a nice, comfortable hotel, but I really felt like I overpaid. The staff were by far the best part of the experience.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wileyc0y0te
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I will say the hotel is currently going through remodeling, so they are making efforts to update the hotel. I booked my room through a travel site and they were offering a deal. I was there for one night and I did get a good price, but it's clear that the reason they were advertising on the travel site is because the hotel is going through remodeling. Many of the floors were closed, my room was pretty "tired" and overlooked the side street where all of the dumpsters are located for the construction. I will say the staff were very friendly and accommodating, trying to make the stay as comfortable as possible. I hope it gets the face-lift it is in need of. For the price and the fact that I was only there on night on business, I rate it average. If I had paid full price, I would have been pretty unhappy.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed at the Madison, unknown to us, because the recommended hotels were full. The location was perfect, despite not being walking distance to Smithsonian, it was centrally located to most places we went to. Also, the hotel itself was very accommodating, the staff was very attentive and polite. They are experiencing some renovations but we very open to giving us a room that was renovated. We traveled with a 9 year old and had a rollaway bed which had a very thick mattress and was comfortable. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We got a great rate at the Madison during the President's Day weekend, but we didn't know why until we checked in and saw the construction taking place. I might have still opted to stay at the Madison if I knew about the trade off I was making, but the point is I should have been given more information. The gym was moved into a guest room and there was construction noise throughout much of the day. Not cool.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tom R
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Newly-renovated room was spectacular -- great bed with luxurious linens and comforter. Loved the large bathroom, fluffy towels and robe. Superby soaps. A selection of good newspapers. But the highlight was the friendly and accommodating bellmen, front desk, and housekeepers. When I checked in I mentioned that I'd read about noise associated with renovation and I was given a room away from where the front desk man thought they would be working (I had no issues with noise). The room overlooked M Street and it was a treat to waken to a view and sun. Walking distance to the sights but easy access to Metro. Many restaurants nearby, but also just blocks from Whole Foods in case you're not up for eating out. Reasonably priced. Couldn't have had a nicer stay.

Room Tip: While they're renovating, ask front desk about getting a room away from the interior work.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Samcat1
Reviewed 7 February 2012

The Madison is the second hotel I've stayed in DC and I will definitely seek this hotel next time I visit DC. Room was very cozy and bed was great. I was surprised to see the bathroom soaps were paraben free. The Madison is in a great location if you want to walk around. For late night ambient beats and grooves, Eighteenth Street Lounge was only 3 blocks away (15min walk). This hotel gets big extra points from me for including AmosTV for free. The hotel was significantly quieter than most hotels I've been to.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business