I'm told that The Madison went through a rough patch last year, when a labor dispute caused great disruption. Fortunately those days are long past: this has become a truly exceptional hotel, and the best bargain in DC.
The newly renovated rooms are impeccably styled, almost on par with rooms at The Jefferson two blocks away. (The Jefferson charges roughly twice The Madison's nightly rate.) The staff are uniformly pleasant, though I've still experienced a few slip-ups in my half dozen stays there since January, mostly involving housekeeping. Small things, like removing bathrobes and not replacing them, forgetting to change the sheets after the expected three nights, and toiletries and complimentary coffee not being replenished. Nothing major.
The food and drinks in the lobby bar are great. The seasoned popcorn should be illegal, it's so addictive. And of course the location is incredibly convenient. It's not the most exciting block in the world -- particularly after dark -- but it's walkable to nearly everything.
On the downside, the free wifi has always been troublesome, slow and balky. I hear they're switching to paid wifi, which is unfortunate, though I suppose that will likely improve reception and bandwidth. Another pet peeve of mine: hotels (like this one) that don't have ice machines, requiring constant calls to room service for free ice. #firstworldproblems
I already have two more reservations made for 2012, and I'm looking forward to both.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A sophisticated retreat with historic charm, The Madison, a Hilton Hotel is just steps from K Street, and only blocks from the White House, the city’s convention center and two Metro stations. Walk to Dupont Circle and McPherson Square. This heart-of-downtown location makes the hotel convenient for sightseeing, conferences and business. We are five miles from Washington National Airport. Our service-centered hotel boasts PostScript Restaurant and Lounge, fabulous event space for up to 500, a sauna and steam room in the health club, and some suites with balconies. We are also family- and pet-friendly. Each guest room, suite and accessible accommodation has free WiFi, a flat-screen TV and comfy bathrobe. On higher floors, our suites offer free premium-plus WiFi, a coffeemaker and a sofa bed in the living area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your The Madison Washington DC, A Hilton Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Madison Hotel Washington Dc
- Madison Washington Dc
- Madison Hotel Washington Dc