“Busy place but good food”
Review of Busboys and Poets

Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: U Street Corridor
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Love the shrimp and grits for dinner or the eggs benedict oscar for brunch. This place is always busy so be patient for a seat or come outside of the rush times. If you have a dog, sit outside and they'll bring a water bowl.

Reviewed 29 February 2012

I feel bad giving this review now but every sandwich I have had here so far was not very good, but if you are vegetarian, they do have like veggie burgers and falafel etc

1  Thank dcnyctraveler
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I went to the U Street location twice. The first time, I had coffee and read the paper. Even though it got crowded, the wait staff were exceedingly gracious and kept re-filling my coffee mug with complimentary refills. There was a nice variety of people there, about half of whom were eating meals.

The second time I visited, I had brunch with a friend. Again, the waiter was excellent, the burgers were fine and the place was fun. We arrived early for brunch which was a good thing, because Sunday brunch seems to be extremely popular there.

Reviewed 28 February 2012

Busboys and Poets has great vegan/vegetarian options. We had the tempeh sandwich (delicious) and the vegan pizza. Both were great. The place has a great feel to it, the service is good, and the the meal was really relaxing.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

We went here on a Saturday during the lunch hour but also the waning brunch. It was packed and we thought about leaving but just then a couple seats were opening at the bar. We snagged those and were quickly given menus and asked if there was anything we wanted to drink. Given how busy it was I suspected service would be slow but it was quick and very friendly. The menu has some interesting vegetarian items and others for meat eaters. We had the moroccan bean soup and split the tempeh sandwich. The soup was very good with a tomato base and lentils, other beans and I think corn. The tempeh was smoked and cut in thin strips, it was delicious. The sandwich had spinach, sauteed onions and veggie mayo on it and was pressed--what I really liked was it was pressed without adding oil which so many places add and then you get a fattening and messy sandwich. We ended up sharing a bloody mary. They are large and I had no intention of having one but they looked so good. Sitting at the bar we saw a continual line of them going out to tables and finally gave in. They make their own base for the drinks and it has a great kick to it, spicy and a bit chunky. The drink is garnished with celery, olives and sliced cherry pepper (pickled) and a lemon as well. I would definitely go back. The dinner menu is more extensive and has some vegan items that sounded amazing..check them out!