“Good food and great beer without fuss”
Review of Busboys and Poets

Busboys and Poets
Ranked #76 of 3,558 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$6 - US$22
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: U Street Corridor
Description: Busboys and Poets is a restaurant, bar, events space, bookstore and cultural hub where arts, politics and culture internally collide. Menu is vegan, gluten-free and vegetarian-friendly.
Reviewed September 14, 2017

Five of us walked in ravenous and without reservations. We were walked without any fuss past a dozen millennials seating on couches, working on their laptops, and eating lunch. Nice atmosphere: consciously relaxed and intellectual. A pleasant surprise, we were able to talk across the table without having to shout. Our server, Cristin, was courteous and efficient. In no time I was guzzling a superb, locally-brewed draft pilsner. My in-laws ordered iced tea, my son ordered an excellent American IPA, and my wife ordered something not-too-hoppy, after Cristin assured that "there were no kernels floating in the beer." The order was for four Cuban Sandwiches and one Reuben, and it was served quite promptly. I know Cuban Sandwiches: my first one was back in 1969, when I was 12 years old and my Cuban-born dad took me to his favorite "loncheria" in Washington Heights. I've had many Cubanos since, including at La Carreta in Miami, and I'd say these were very good Gringo-facsimiles. (To be picky, the pickles slices were not as long or thinly-sliced as the "autenticos.") Still, they were very good. Four ordered side servings of fresh fruit, my wife had the tabbouleh (delicious: fresh and light) and I had the house salad (very tasty and light). I had a second pilsner, and we skipped desert. All gave the meal two thumbs up. We stopped at the bookstore on the way out, which had a very nice selection and reminded me why I love bookstores.

Reviewed September 11, 2017 via mobile

This restaurant was close to our hotel and came recommended by staff. We waited for a short period before being seated. It took over 15 minutes before we saw a server. We were obviously ready to order. We placed our order and never received our drinks. The food was good but the lack of service and not receiving things we asked for left a very bad taste in our mouths.

Reviewed September 7, 2017

I had breakfast at Busboys and Poets and it was delicious, they have a huge variety of food options for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They also have grits on the menu!! The sweat potato pancakes were amazing, I love that little twist.

Our server was very friendly and attentive. I would go back to try the lunch/dinner menu.

Reviewed September 6, 2017 via mobile

This was our 3rd time here and it was another great meal. I had the blueberry tea latte - delicious! For my meal I got the chicken panini. Great bread, zesty sauce and chicken cooked perfectly. Dessert featured pecan pie with coconut ice cream (by request). Fantastic meal and service.

The manager stopped by to help us get some additional sauce for my wife's veggie burger - not a highlight. Dry and flavorless.

Otherwise awesome!!

Reviewed September 5, 2017

We loved the food and feel of this interesting restaurant/bookstore that supports the arts. Different seating options, tables, sofas, cushy chairs with small tables. They don't take reservations, but we only to wait about 10 minutes, which was surprising, since it was Sunday Brunch and the place was very busy. (It was around 1:30pm)
All our entrees were hot and well prepared. The omelette was generous with lots of veges. My french toast was delicious with the turkey sausage and just right scambled eggs. They made a fresh pot of decaf for our table, which was nice. Service was good.

However, we found it difficult to hear across the table and could easily understand the conversations on either side of us. No privacy in conversations here...... The only reason it didn't rate 5 stars was due to the noise. This might keep us from going there again...